Standards of dress

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
But, he has no right to apply his own rules to someone else's wife and daughters. 

Do you care to expound?

A man, husband, father has the obligation and duty to lead his own family.  And he should!  As this world gets more wicked all the time, it becomes and even more difficult job! But he is commanded to do it. 

He is NOT commanded to apply his own rules, personal preferences, etc. to anyone else's family.  That is THEIR man, husband, father's duty.  Not his.  Now if a man thinks some other family's rules, etc. are detriment to those of his own, he may choose to keep them away.  However, I think it would be better to teach his family how to deal with the differences instead of shunning them.

cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
But, he has no right to apply his own rules to someone else's wife and daughters. 

Do you care to expound?

A man, husband, father has the obligation and duty to lead his own family.  And he should!  As this world gets more wicked all the time, it becomes and even more difficult job! But he is commanded to do it. 

He is NOT commanded to apply his own rules, personal preferences, etc. to anyone else's family.  That is THEIR man, husband, father's duty.  Not his.  Now if a man thinks some other family's rules, etc. are detriment to those of his own, he may choose to keep them away.  However, I think it would be better to teach his family how to deal with the differences instead of shunning them.

Wow!  I personally don't know anyone who would go to another family and say, "Your family need to follow my families dress standards."  That's pretty bold.  I do know preachers that preach dress standards.  I don't think you are referring to preachers.

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
I believe God holds accountable a woman who dresses for the purpose of attracting the eyes of men (who is not her own husband).  Our clothing should not distract people from seeing Jesus IN us.  "Let my life song sing to You".

So "purpose" is the deciding factor of right and wrong in modest dress?

Can you show where the Bible teaches otherwise?

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
I believe God holds accountable a woman who dresses for the purpose of attracting the eyes of men (who is not her own husband).  Our clothing should not distract people from seeing Jesus IN us.  "Let my life song sing to You".

I don't know if "purpose" is the right word.  Maybe "intent"?  I'm not really sure of the word, RAIDER.  I just think that a right heart will determine right on the outside.  And no one seems to know exactly where the line is drawn.  But, God does. 

It's all about the heart.  He knows.  And He will let us know.

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

Do you care to expound?

Wow!  I personally don't know anyone who would go to another family and say, "Your family need to follow my families dress standards."  That's pretty bold.  I do know preachers that preach dress standards.  I don't think you are referring to preachers.

No....they won't go to that family directly.  But he WILL go on forums, blogs, etc. and do it.  And he will go to other people and gossip about it.  And he will judge them inwardly and outwardly.  THAT's what I'm talking about. 

Although...on second thought...there ARE dumbdonkeys out there that WILL go to other men and tell him how to run their family.  Yep...there are!

Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:

I believe Abimelech would have something to say about doing something in innocence and almost facing the judgment of God.

What someone else does is none of our business.  We spend too much time pointing out what we believe are the faults of others which only takes us away from concentrating on our own faults.  You know...that dang ol' mote and beam thing.

Sometimes I am guilty. 

cast.sheep said:
What someone else does is none of our business.  We spend too much time pointing out what we believe are the faults of others which only takes us away from concentrating on our own faults.  You know...that dang ol' mote and beam thing.

Sometimes I am guilty.

I know as you read this thread you may think I am that way.  I am far from it.  Because dress is the topic of this thread I am discussing things in detail.  That doesn't mean that it is my hobby horse.

I do have to smile when I think of your hubby and I at HAC.  He was the guy doing his best to follow the rules and walk carefully.  I was the guy who also walked carefully but close to the edge.  :)

Citadel of Truth said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:

I believe Abimelech would have something to say about doing something in innocence and almost facing the judgment of God.

Innocence concerning dress?

FYI, Uzzah is another example that comes to mind. Also, David numbered the people at God's command and was punished.

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

Sometimes I am guilty.

I know as you read this thread you may think I am that way.  I am far from it.  Because dress is the topic of this thread I am discussing things in detail.  That doesn't mean that it is my hobby horse.

I do have to smile when I think of your hubby and I at HAC.  He was the guy doing his best to follow the rules and walk carefully.  I was the guy who also walked carefully but close to the edge.  :)

He is still that guy! ha!  He brought one of his co-workers to church Sunday.  All of his co-workers know he is a preacher and they still love him.  ha!  He is such a good testimony and they see that he is "real".  He stands by his principles no matter what. 

I am more like you.  ha!

That didn't come out right....lol...

I know you stand by your principles.  I meant that I am the one who walks carefully but close to the edge.

Concerning this entire thread:

dapper-dan-man.gif

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

Sometimes I am guilty.

I don't think that.  I understand the point of this thread.

Smellin Coffee said:
Concerning this entire thread:

dapper-dan-man.gif

One of my all-time favorite movies! ♫ IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII......am a man....of constant sor-row.....♫

10,305 views!  We're rollin'.......

And those are actual bonafide numbers.  Not like the attendance numbers at HAC, and FBCH.  ha!

Citadel of Truth said:
cast.sheep said:
Yes, we need men who will stand up to their wives and daughters and teach them what he believes is proper and appropriate.  But, he has no right to apply his own rules to someone else's wife and daughters.
I agree with this. That is why it is so vitally important that we are governed by the Word of God and not man's opinions. Man's opinions are subjective - God's Word is not. 

You can't control what crosses your path, but you CAN control what lingers there.
I agree. I can't always control what I see, but I CAN control what I look at.

I can't help but see the magazine covers in the checkout line at Piggly Wiggly, but that doesn't mean I should stand there and look at them.

Admit it....you can't look away from Bruce Jenner, can you!

cast.sheep said:
Citadel of Truth said:
cast.sheep said:
Yes, we need men who will stand up to their wives and daughters and teach them what he believes is proper and appropriate.  But, he has no right to apply his own rules to someone else's wife and daughters.
I agree with this. That is why it is so vitally important that we are governed by the Word of God and not man's opinions. Man's opinions are subjective - God's Word is not. 

You can't control what crosses your path, but you CAN control what lingers there.
I agree. I can't always control what I see, but I CAN control what I look at.

I can't help but see the magazine covers in the checkout line at Piggly Wiggly, but that doesn't mean I should stand there and look at them.

Admit it....you can't look away from Bruce Jenner, can you!

That'll leave a mark!!  :)

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

Do you care to expound?

I will. My BIL would take my girls aside at family events and tell them they needed to quit dressing like whores. Not once did he ever discuss the"issue" with my wife or I. We would find out on the way home. I honestly believe he used it as a cover story to get some "ogle time" in while appearing to be concerned about their spiritual condition.

My advice to the kids was ignore him and keep an arms length away. If they we dressed inappropriately their mother or I would let them know.

subllibrm said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

Do you care to expound?

I will. My BIL would take my girls aside at family events and tell them they needed to quit dressing like whores. Not once did he ever discuss the"issue" with my wife or I. We would find out on the way home. I honestly believe he used it as a cover story to get some "ogle time" in while appearing to be concerned about their spiritual condition.

My advice to the kids was ignore him and keep an arms length away. If they we dressed inappropriately their mother or I would let them know.

What an idiot!