"Stay At Home Daughters" Botkin Sisters Have Repudiated Their Patriarchal Teachings

illinoisguy

Well-known member
Elect
Joined
Jan 1, 2019
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
714
Points
113
The Botkin sisters, Anna Sophia and Elizabeth, were big promoters of the Vision Forum-type teachings in their book "So Much More" and their video "Return Of the Daughters." But now they have publicly renounced and apologized for whole shebang.

Among other things, they taught that daughters should live at home with their parents until marriage, they should not go to college or work outside the home, that single women should not be foreign missionaries, etc. They have now rejected these teachings and have apologized for adding rules and restrictions not found in God's Word.


 
I've heard of people teaching this stuff--generally the strong pro-courtship people--but never heard of the Botkins. Are they well-known in fundy circles?
 
Yes, the Botkin sisters were well-known. They were big. For them to repudiate the whole Vision Forum agenda in this manner is potentially earth-shaking. The official Vision Forum movement shut down in 2013 after the founder Doug Phillips admitted to an "inappropriate relationship" with his nanny who was a Vision Forum groupie, but these strict principles live on in certain fundy circles.


 
Doug Phillips and Vision Forum I've heard of.

So this is big like Josh Harris repudiating I Kissed Dating Goodbye, appropriately scaled down for the fundy subculture.
 
It's big. It's being talked about, all over the Internet.

"If you were online in the conservative Christian and/or Christian homeschooling circles in the 2005-2008 timeframe, you will understand how significant this is. . . . I truly appreciate that Anna Sophia and Elizabeth have done this. I hope it brings closure for them and for the young women who were negatively impacted by the book. There were many families torn apart by these Vision Forum teachings."

https://sallieborrink.com/the-botkin-sisters-offer-apology-for-so-much-more/

"I think that they do provide an accurate and in-depth analysis of where the stay-at-home-daughter movement failed. They admit freely that it was a poorly-constructed, reductionist concept that lacked nuance and failed to allow for the realities of life and the needs that daughters had. They also do not hold back in calling out their own fallacies, ignorance, and mistakes, and they frequently quote from their own book so as to call out their past selves for the errors they made."


"Of course, there were stay-at-home-daughters before the Botkin sisters. Men like R.J. Rushdoony and Bill Gothard and Doug Wilson were teaching that daughters belonged in the hierarchy of the home under the protection of their fathers long before So Much More came on the scene. Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin put a winsome face on a troublesome set of ideas."

 
why do we get caught up in this trash..........know God's word and live it. I lived at home because I worked and saved for college. I also paid my mom grocery/gas money.
 
Back
Top