Testimony

John14.6

Elect
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I want to share my testimony of how I became a genuine believer in the Lord Jesus Christ as my personal Savior.
I was raised in an Independent Baptist church where every Sunday I heard sermons about sin, heaven & hell, Jesus’ death on the cross, & salvation by believing in Jesus. I heard that I was a sinner, that because of my sin I would spend eternity in hell if I didn’t repent & accept Christ as my savior. I heard that Jesus died on the cross to pay for my sins and He would save anyone who accepted Him as their savior. When I was 13 years old our church had a week long revival meeting. At the end of each service, when the evangelist gave the invitation, he would walk up and down the isles begging people to go to the altar and accept Christ as savior. I remember thinking that I hoped he didn't come down the isle where my dad, brother, and I were, but he did come over to us, and when he placed his hand on my shoulder I immediately went to the altar, along with my dad & brother. At the altar my dad, my brother, and I were led through the scriptures known as the Romans Road; we were asked to repeat a prayer asking Jesus to save us and we were baptized shortly thereafter.
Afterwards I did not read the bible; I just went to church. Later, as a young adult, I began to have doubts about my salvation which eventually led to a life of uncertainty, fear, & misery. I doubted my salvation because I did not understand how God would save someone just for saying a prayer “in Jesus' name” and being baptized. I was confused about all the teaching I had heard growing up in a church. I was confused about God & the bible. I did not understand the meaning of “believing” in Jesus. I did not know what to believe or how to believe. One bible verse that I had trouble understanding was Romans 10:13. I would call on the name of the Lord many times, but could not find any assurance that He heard me. My confusion led me to question if any of it was true or if God even existed. My life was miserable.

I was looking for evidence that would prove to me that the bible is true, that God exists, and that Jesus does really forgive sinners, but there was something missing, a missing link, and I did not know what it was. I needed something to convince me that it was all true. I talked to several Christians & asked a lot of questions, read several books written by well known Christian authors like Dr. John R Rice & J. Vernon McGee about how to have assurance of salvation, and read several bible salvation tracts. But, I could not find any answers that convinced me of the truth about any of the teachings I had heard growing up in church. I did the things I heard at church that I thought were necessary to get God to save me like saying a prayer “in Jesus' name,” making a public confession of my faith, repenting of my sin, publicly confessing Jesus as my Lord & Savior, promising to follow Him the rest of my life. I tried to make myself have some sense of faith, I said the sinners' prayer over & over begging God to save me, and each time I would find relief from the doubts. But, then our pastor would say in one of his sermons that to be saved we must really mean business with God, and I would question myself as to whether I really did repent of all my sins, or did I really commit my life to Christ, or did I really believe in Jesus to save me, and the doubts would return. I could not find a lasting assurance of salvation, and I had no peace. I could not concentrate on my job or my family. I was obsessed with a dreadful fear of dying without ever knowing for sure if I had done the right things to get God to save me. I thought that I would never know for sure that I was saved.

One night, out of a sense of helplessness & desperation, I said a prayer to the God I wasn't sure existed. My prayer was, “God will you show me the truth about believing in Jesus?” Next, I did something I had never done outside of church; I found our family bible, sat down at my kitchen table, and opened the bible to the Book of John, the Gospel of John. I opened the bible to the Gospel of John because I had heard someone say that the Book of John was the best place to find out about Jesus. I did not know what I would find there but I was ready to accept whatever it was if it convinced me that it was real & the truth. As I started to read the Gospel of John I had no idea that my life was about to change forever and that I would soon have a peace that is impossible to explain to anyone who has never experienced that peace for themselves.

Yes, I was desperate to know Jesus as my Savior. I thought I would never know, for sure, that I had found Him or that I had enough faith in Him, or that I had really believed in Him. I was confused about what it all meant, and just wasn't sure about any of it being real. But, the moment I began to read John 1:1 for some reason I was seeing the words of the bible in a different way. I remembered reading the Book of John in Sunday School as a kid, and our teacher told us to memorize the first chapter, but it really meant nothing to me back then. But, that night, as I sat at my kitchen table reading that big family bible, the words came to life and something was telling me that I was reading the truth about Jesus. I realized that the missing link I referred earlier was the Holy Spirit showing me the truth that I so desperately needed.

The Holy Spirit opened my blind spiritual eyes so that I could see & understand spiritual truth. That night I found the evidence, the the proof, that completely convinced me that the bible is the Truth, that God is real, and that Jesus does really forgive anyone who earnestly comes to Him for forgiveness. God Himself showed me that He is real.

The Holy Spirit used the following scriptures and several other scriptures to convince me that Jesus is who He said He is, that he would do what he said he would do, and that He was waiting for me to come to Him.

John 5:39-40, Jesus said to the Pharisees “Search the scriptures, for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.(KJV)

John 6:37,”All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.”(KJV)

John 6:44, “ No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.”(KJV)

John 6:45, “ It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.”(KJV)
Later, I found another scripture that cleared up my confusion about Romans 10:13; that scripture was the next verse Romans 10:14, “How shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?”(KJV) I saw that Romans 10:13 alone was just words without faith, but that together Romans 10:13-14 means that I believe in Jesus before I call on Him or that I called on Him because I believe Him.

That night, as I read the Gospel of John, the Holy Spirit opened my spiritually blind eyes for me and “I got it.” It was as though I was a blind person who suddenly could see; He brought me out of darkness into light; He showed me who Jesus is and what He did for me when He died on the cross to pay the penalty for my sins. I saw that it wasn't about me; not about anything “I” could do, but about what Jesus had already done. The Holy Spirit completely convinced me that the Bible is the absolute truth, that God is real, and that Jesus is God who became a man so He could pay the penalty for my sins that I could never pay myself. God showed me how to “believe in Him” as He convinced me that all the things I had heard in church as a kid, and all that I was reading that night were His way of not only saving me from spending eternity in hell, but also is His way to change me now by giving me a new nature. Immediately my troubled soul was overwhelmed by an enormous sense of relief, and I forgot about all the things “I” was doing to get God to save me as I cast my helpless self upon Jesus. The moment the Holy Spirit convinced me & I “got it” was the moment I saw Jesus as the one who did all that God required for my sin to be forgiven. I wasn't thinking about how much faith I had, or if I really meant business with God, or if I really believed, or about making promises. I knew without a doubt that Jesus was waiting for me to come to Him. I found myself talking to Jesus as though He was right there in the room with me. I was thanking Him for saving me and asking Him to change me His way, and that He did.
I will use another scripture here although at that time I knew nothing about it but it helps to explain what actually happened to me that day: Ephesians 2:8-9 “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:” “Not of works, lest any man should boast.” God gave me the right kind of faith to believe just like this verse says, it is a gift of God. The faith God gave me was focused on Jesus’ death on the cross, and also believing that Jesus will do what He said He will do in John 6:37, and that’s “saving faith.” The “wrong kind of faith” was focused on myself, on what “I” was doing to try to get God to save me.

I did not find my answer from men. Only when I turned to God through reading His Word and by the convincing power of the Holy Spirit did I find the truth about “believing” in Jesus.
LDJ

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your testimony. ☺️

Beautiful testimony! I never get tired of reading or hearing about Christ's redeeming work on human souls!

Several years ago, I picked up a hobby I had always been wanting to pursue: riding motorcycles. I joined the Christian Motorcyclists Association, CMA, because I didn't want my hobby to interfere with my serving the Lord. Little did I know that my hobby would become my primary avenue of service. I write about it in my blog: Another Rider's Perspective. Currently, most of my posts deal with my testimony but I wanted my testimony to be read. I am now working on posting articles that talk specifically of riding. Give it a look if you'd like.

Back to your testimony: I LOVED how the Holy Spirit opened your eyes. That was exactly what happened to me. Too many Fundamentalists are reluctant to say much about the Holy Spirit for fear they may be branded "charismatic" or "Pentecostal". Sad. "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God." Please, please, please continue to share you testimony just as you have done here. It will bless those who believe and encourage those who are seeking. God Bless.

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for posting your testimony. Many don't or won't post one. it's a shame, but, I always enjoy hearing about how someone came to Christ.

Welcome to the jungle.

At times people here may seem hatful but, it's just because the believe passionately in their positions. Some may seem like know at all's, others may seem very passive, but nearly everyone here cares about other people and are generally civil. From time to time you may run into a troll, these come with the territory as well. I generally just ignore them like the troll under the bridge and pass over without giving them the time of day. Others here will stop an argue with them a waste a lot of time. Some may post like they have been around a while. I started reading and later posting at the first FFF over 20 years ago and it seemed then I was very late to arrive. Some had been there a long time when I arrived. Some may speak of posters you will never meet, they are legends that came before us, some have left us and many are now in Heaven. I hope in time you will find us family.

Welcome to the jungle.

At times people here may seem hatful but, it's just because the believe passionately in their positions. Some may seem like know at all's, others may seem very passive, but nearly everyone here cares about other people and are generally civil. From time to time you may run into a troll, these come with the territory as well. I generally just ignore them like the troll under the bridge and pass over without giving them the time of day. Others here will stop an argue with them a waste a lot of time. Some may post like they have been around a while. I started reading and later posting at the first FFF over 20 years ago and it seemed then I was very late to arrive. Some had been there a long time when I arrived. Some may speak of posters you will never meet, they are legends that came before us, some have left us and many are now in Heaven. I hope in time you will find us family.
It's always fun to "waste time" with a troll. It's like going on a first date all over again! LOL ;)

Beautiful testimony! I never get tired of reading or hearing about Christ's redeeming work on human souls!

Several years ago, I picked up a hobby I had always been wanting to pursue: riding motorcycles. I joined the Christian Motorcyclists Association, CMA, because I didn't want my hobby to interfere with my serving the Lord. Little did I know that my hobby would become my primary avenue of service. I write about it in my blog: Another Rider's Perspective. Currently, most of my posts deal with my testimony but I wanted my testimony to be read. I am now working on posting articles that talk specifically of riding. Give it a look if you'd like.

Back to your testimony: I LOVED how the Holy Spirit opened your eyes. That was exactly what happened to me. Too many Fundamentalists are reluctant to say much about the Holy Spirit for fear they may be branded "charismatic" or "Pentecostal". Sad. "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God." Please, please, please continue to share you testimony just as you have done here. It will bless those who believe and encourage those who are seeking. God Bless.
I went to you blog and read parts 7, 8, 9, & 10 of your testimony. I found it to be quite interesting how God used both believers & non-believers to influence your life. That made me think of people in my life who God used to do the same for me. Your mention of contentment reminds me of my favorite hymn, "It Is Well with My Soul."
The first time I ever shared my testimony was in 2011 after a visiting preacher brought a message about how we should just tell others about what Jesus had done for us. Up to that time in my Christian life I had been content to work in our church as a youth Sunday school teacher, drive a church bus, and a few other behind the scenes activities. But I never shared my testimony with anyone. That preacher suggested the we should write our testimony out in the form of a small tract and have it handy to give out to people we might meet when we were out about in town or wherever we might be.
I wrote out my testimony and gave a copy to everyone at work; over 50 people. Many of my co-workers came by to thank me for sharing my testimony with them. Several of them came by to tell me that they did not get a copy and asked for one.
Later, I registered as a new member on a Christian website called Rapture Ready. That was my first time to get involved in an online Christian forum, and the first thing they wanted me to do was to post my testimony. Before I posted my testimony I had read a post from someone who suggested that we Christians were delusional in our beliefs, and I wrote a response to his post that I called, "What Does It Mean to Believe in Jesus?" That post contained my testimony. At first I was reluctant to post the article because I thought that I might be the only person in the world who had doubted his/her salvation. After posting the article on Rapture Ready forum I was shocked by the number of people who responded by saying that they too had doubted their salvation, and some of them were still living that misery as I had done. I received many emails from people who read my testimony, and they were asking me for advice & help in their search for assurance & peace about their salvation.
Regards,
John

I went to you blog and read parts 7, 8, 9, & 10 of your testimony. I found it to be quite interesting how God used both believers & non-believers to influence your life. That made me think of people in my life who God used to do the same for me. Your mention of contentment reminds me of my favorite hymn, "It Is Well with My Soul."
The first time I ever shared my testimony was in 2011 after a visiting preacher brought a message about how we should just tell others about what Jesus had done for us. Up to that time in my Christian life I had been content to work in our church as a youth Sunday school teacher, drive a church bus, and a few other behind the scenes activities. But I never shared my testimony with anyone. That preacher suggested the we should write our testimony out in the form of a small tract and have it handy to give out to people we might meet when we were out about in town or wherever we might be.
I wrote out my testimony and gave a copy to everyone at work; over 50 people. Many of my co-workers came by to thank me for sharing my testimony with them. Several of them came by to tell me that they did not get a copy and asked for one.
Later, I registered as a new member on a Christian website called Rapture Ready. That was my first time to get involved in an online Christian forum, and the first thing they wanted me to do was to post my testimony. Before I posted my testimony I had read a post from someone who suggested that we Christians were delusional in our beliefs, and I wrote a response to his post that I called, "What Does It Mean to Believe in Jesus?" That post contained my testimony. At first I was reluctant to post the article because I thought that I might be the only person in the world who had doubted his/her salvation. After posting the article on Rapture Ready forum I was shocked by the number of people who responded by saying that they too had doubted their salvation, and some of them were still living that misery as I had done. I received many emails from people who read my testimony, and they were asking me for advice & help in their search for assurance & peace about their salvation.
Regards,
John
I have become convinced that sharing one's personal testimony is second only to God's Word in importance when it comes to sharing the Gospel. Whereas the Word is the foundation upon which saving faith is built, one's testimony gives a living example of how it works out in peoples' lives. It makes it relatable. Your testimony of sharing your testimony illustrates this.

Though I don't mention it, I too struggled with doubt for the exact same reason you were. Finally, a shipmate who liked to taunt me because of my faith, asked me how I knew I was saved and my answer was, "Because God's Word is good." As I listened to my answer, personal doubt melted away and I don't recall him trying to taunt me again.

Praise God for what you are doing and may you continue...