Textual Critical Methods of the KJV Translators

Avery... when it comes to insults, don't expect us to take your feigned piety seriously.

A lot depends on the nature and sincerity of the discussion.  Now I definitely am strong with my words about the textus corruptus.  And some of the public defenders who of that text who have a little cottage industry of trying to attack the AV.

prophet said:
When you use the term: KJVO, which most of us realize has no definite meaning, you detract from the argument.

The term "KJV-only" has a definite, accurate meaning.  KJV-only is a definite, specific, accurate term for the making of exclusive or only claims for one English translation since 1611--the KJV. 

prophet said:
'KJVO' is an insult.

You fail to demonstrate that it is supposedly "an insult" to use properly a definite, accurate term that describes a certain view.

If it is supposedly "an insult", are you suggesting that holding a KJV-only view is illogical, unsound, or unscriptural?

logos1560 said:
If it is supposedly "an insult", are you suggesting that holding a KJV-only view is illogical, unsound, or unscriptural?

Exactly what I wonder.

logos1560 said:
prophet said:
When you use the term: KJVO, which most of us realize has no definite meaning, you detract from the argument.

The term "KJV-only" has a definite, accurate meaning.  KJV-only is a definite, specific, accurate term for the making of exclusive or only claims for one English translation since 1611--the KJV. 

prophet said:
'KJVO' is an insult.

If one believed as Ruckman, or Riplinger, yes.

And that is what box people who levy that charge are normally stuffing the recipient into.

Back to the OP. I guess we will have to move on...

Without defining what "providential method" means, I am unconvinced the KJVO even understands the phrase. It sounds nice, but doesn't say anything.

FSSL said:
Back to the OP. I guess we will have to move on...

Without defining what "providential method" means, I am unconvinced the KJVO even understands the phrase. It sounds nice, but doesn't say anything.
You're a Calvinist, and you can't figure out what "providential" means?

It means: God, in His Sovereignty,  guides Bible translators to ensure preservation of His words in our hands.

Satan has his counterfeit crew as well.

You know the question... What is that exclusive "providential method?"

logos1560 said:
Looks like Rick is criticizing James White here, who went into a whole construction of five different groupings.

Steven Avery said:
logos1560 said:

Looks like Rick is criticizing James White here, who went into a whole construction of five different groupings.

Acknowledging the fact that there are different groups of Baptists with even some doctrinal differences would not be saying that there is not a definite, accurate definition for Baptist.

Saying that there may be different groups of KJV-only advocates would not demonstrate nor prove that there is not a definite, accurate definition for KJV-only.

Since Avery is so particular on the definition of KJVO.... perhaps he could define what an exclusive "providential method" means.

Steven Avery said:

If you're going to try and play the divide-and-conquer game, Stevie, perhaps this is a good time to point out to your orthodox KJV-only buddies that you are a heretic who denies the Holy Trinity?

See, while we in orthodoxy tend to inhabit a big tent, you KJV-onlyists do not.

FSSL said:
Since Avery is so particular on the definition of KJVO....

Not my situation. I simply was pointing out the context of Prophet when it was misrepresented on another thread.  I know that references to "the KJVO" often does not represent my position, but it is not a big deal, language is not always ultra-precise.

My main critique is that there are many times "the KJVO" is used when in fact an individual or two should be addressed.  That is the slippery use here.  FSSL does it in a shorthand attempted derogatory manner, which is understandable from his debate mentality. Rick Norris does a similar type of addressing as a conscious deception of talking around individuals and issues. 

Steven