The Dark Side of Calvinism

B

Baptist Bishop

My Friend ... a dedicated Christian ... a wonderful soul winner ... moved and joined a new church about a dozen years ago.  The pastor was a Calvinist.

About 6 months ago, we chatted over the phone.  He was severely depressed.  Realizing that he might not be one of the elect but rather one of the deceived, he was begging God 6-700 times a day to please let him be one of the elect.  I tried to give assurance, but there is no assurance for the avowed Calvinist.  He turned to other things to relieve his pain and torment.  He has now stepped out into eternity.

I am not looking for comment or debate.  This is the terrible, real-life impact often overshadowed by these debates.  Please pray for God's grace as we grieve over the tragic, untimely loss of our friend. 

Baptist Bishop said:
I tried to give assurance, but there is no assurance for the avowed Calvinist.

I'm an avowed Calvinist, and I believe there is assurance, because the Bible says "you may know that you have eternal life" (1 John 5:13).

I am not looking for comment or debate.

No, of course not. You want the convenience of being able to blame an entire theological tradition for your friend's unfortunate demise, but not the responsibility of actually showing that to be the case.

Ransom said:
Baptist Bishop said:
I tried to give assurance, but there is no assurance for the avowed Calvinist.

I'm an avowed Calvinist, and I believe there is assurance, because the Bible says "you may know that you have eternal life" (1 John 5:13).

I am not looking for comment or debate.

No, of course not. You want the convenience of being able to blame an entire theological tradition for your friend's unfortunate demise, but not the responsibility of actually showing that to be the case.
I have known since the day that Christ's love grabbed my full attention, reaching into my heart, the very thought that He would take my punishment ( I was spanked nearly every day in K-4,
and knew I deserved Hell), and that day that I said yes to His offer, that He has given me Eternal Life.
His presence is unmistakeable.
Men's words have tried to cast doubt, But the Spirit bears witness with mine.
I have interacted with Charismatis as much as anyone, for the last 18 years.  I havent felt a shred of doubt in "He who hath begun a good work in me".
Logically, I would think, Calvinism would leave one in full assurance that, if they had ever embraced the lord at all, it is His doing, and hence could not be undone.
That said, a lot of variance lies in the beliefs of followers of Reformed Theology.
Either way, you can blame alot on Calvin, I know I do, but doubt in your own election, when you have been following God for years?
Naaaaa.
There is either more to this, he is in a real weird offshoot, or he had issues before.

prophet said:
Logically, I would think, Calvinism would leave one in full assurance that, if they had ever embraced the lord at all, it is His doing, and hence could not be undone.

Logically, that would make sense.

There was a trend in much Puritan thought toward obsessive introspection about assurance and "making your calling and election sure."

My systematic theology prof once put it something like this:

To the Puritans, assurance was a duty.
To the Roman Catholics, assurance was anathema.
To the Bible, assurance is a fact.

Ransom said:
prophet said:

There was a trend in much Puritan thought toward obsessive introspection about assurance and "making your calling and election sure."

Cotton Mather's diary would back this up. 
I own a hard  copy, and have no link, but if you read a copy, he seemed excessively introspective.

Ransom said:
prophet said:

Yup!