The external and internal call

Foghorn

Elect
Reaction score
I believe, concerning this calling there is a distinction between an external and an inward call.
They both come from God, by means of the gospel, they pertain to the same matters and are presented equally to all.
They both are addressed to humans who by nature are the same. However, I believe they both are distinguishable.

The external call functions only by means of the word and the Spirit does join Himself in common Illumination and historical faith. Consider, Hebrews 6:4, For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,...........

The internal calling however, penetrates the very heart of man, powerfully illuminating it with wonderous light revealing mysteries to the man. And powerfully inclines the will to embrace those mysteries in Christ, and to the obedience of faith.
Consider: It is written in the Prophets: ‘And they shall all be taught of God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me. John 6:45.

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, Eph 1:18

Thoughts, comments?

But I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

And when He comes, He will convict the world in regard to sin
and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because they do not believe in Me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see Me; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world has been condemned.
John 16:7-11

Here is an excellent article that expounds on the above verse.