The failing church during covid

FundNoMore

Elect
Reaction score
I am curious about other Fundamental Baptist churches in America in how they are handling the Covid restrictions. When it was first demanded that churches not meet during the early epidemic, I felt it was prudent that a suspension of services be enacted. Not by government edict, but by independent decisions made by church leadership for the safety of their congregation. As we learned that Covid was not as widespread as first reported and not nearly as fatal and the MSM would have us believe, I believed that the time had come to re-establish our services, but I continue to see so called men of God, bowing to the government and continuing to delay re-opening. Please don't tell me that the "church" is not a building or that meeting in our cars in the parking lot is "assembling together", we all know that it is not. But what baffles me is that the first amendment guarantees that the government has no say in the operation of the church, but that didn't keep our leaders from ceding their authority. I was not for the reckless just go ahead and meet anyway crowd, but there is plenty we have learned and, aside from certain risk groups, it was time to restart services over a month ago.

What have others seen in their areas of the country?

As Protestants, let us protest! Protestors don’t have to stay at home.

.... sorry to distract... carry on

The churches I know of, seem to reflect the sentiment of the church members themselves and not so much the governors of their states.

Churches with older congregations tended to open at a slower pace and in some cases the younger pastors and leadership chose to re-open, but their older membership chose to continue to watch services via the internet. I think in some partsof the country it was wise for those over 70 to limit contact with large groups.

Churches with younger congregations or those with a group of members eager to re-congregate opened quicker.

A few continued to meet all along, with very limited attendance, and most of the congregation viewed online.

Some split the difference with almost immediately instituting parking lot church and then re-opened when the membership was ready. In almost every case technology was used to keep members connected and to allow access to all services. I think many churches better understand the importance of using technology in their ministries.

I clearly agree it's not the states call if a church wants to meet or not and I think our current supreme court would agree. I also think the state constitutions in many states also protect the right of churches to assemble. On the other hand I think our churches should render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s and attempt to follow state guidelines when it does not conflict with the bible. Remember we have a testimony to uphold. We should fight only when it is necessary but when the time comes to stand then stand we must.

I believe many churches in bible times met outside and I disagree wholeheartedly that parking lot church, tent church or brush arbor revival services are not church. If we chose to meet every 4th sunday in the woods or in the park or down by the river bank it would still be church.

Our church has 3 services, 2,000 people in each service. So... opening is slow.

Our church actually is one of the places for Covid testing.

Thank you for those who responded and I knew when I first posted that many churches would have different issues to resolve, i.e. the prevalence of Covid in your area (less than 0.5% in my area) and the number of elderly who attend services. Hopefully all of those decisions were made without referring to any government mandate. Unfortunately, in my situation, despite the assurances of the pastor that he believes in the Independence of the church and the first amendment, he has done nothing more than follow exactly what our governor has commanded, even citing that the sheriff's office was watching us. The church is having their first meeting this weekend and I will admit that my "followship" is waning (there are other things than this, but this just adds).

I appreciate the input and pray that all that is going on in our country will be over soon.

The AOG church here in Mexico that we eft reently had a little more than half their average atendance. The church we are attending had about 70% of its usual attendance.