The "Great Commission".

treasure_unseen

Elect
Reaction score
I watched one of the Swaggart members trying to sell $500 Bible with the "ministry" slogan......

"Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature"

Now we know they've hijacked these words from the Scriptures and applied them to themselves. I KNOW that God wasn't talking to the Swaggarts in Mark 16 nor Matthew 28. I also know that God wasn't talking to any living person on this earth when Jesus spoke those words to His disciples.

Why is it that when people read those words, they apply them to themselves instead of believe it applied to the exact people Jesus spoke to?

There has been much prestige, power and money made through the idea that modern "ministries" are fulfilling when Jesus commissioned the early church to do. They were successful in fulfilling that commission.

There is not one single Scripture that says that the Gospel must be preached to every person of all generation. Not one. Yet, that is exactly what is being taught today. People want to find value in believing they're helping fulfill what God required of OTHERS.... Nothing more.

There is not one single Scripture that says that the Gospel must be preached to every person of all generation. Not one. Yet, that is exactly what is being taught today. People want to find value in believing they're helping fulfill what God required of OTHERS.... Nothing more.

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Paul is talking of preaching the gospel to the lost. Do you consider us doing this today "foolishness"?

"There is not one single Scripture that says that the Gospel must be preached to every person of all generation." - This sounds like the nonsense that some say when they say "There isn't a single scripture that says to use the KJB".

So you are correct in that there is not one "single" scripture, but there is a "doctrine" of preaching to the lost.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness..." 2 Timothy 3.16

Seems to me that the words of Jesus were practiced by the early church. Limiting the practice and application of this verse to only those who heard it undermines the injunction in Acts "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness..." 2 Timothy 3.16

Seems to me that the words of Jesus were practiced by the early church. Limiting the practice and application of this verse to only those who heard it undermines the injunction in Acts "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
Well, now you're using common sense, but remember, "lost_treasure" follows the "Spirit of God" and KNOWS the Bible! And of course, he was not there and so isn't part of the "you".

I can understand an Incomplete Dispensationalist, such as UGC saying that this passage does not apply to us... but am surprised to see treasure_unseen using a similar logic.

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Paul is talking of preaching the gospel to the lost. Do you consider us doing this today "foolishness"?

"There is not one single Scripture that says that the Gospel must be preached to every person of all generation." - This sounds like the nonsense that some say when they say "There isn't a single scripture that says to use the KJB".

So you are correct in that there is not one "single" scripture, but there is a "doctrine" of preaching to the lost.

You're conflating. I never said the preaching of the Gospel is foolishness. Yes, the preaching of the Gospel is good. It has always been good. Jesus commissioned a specific group of individuals to do such as referenced by His words on this earth to them. They did what Jesus told them to do.

You can't take that commission and claim it is your commission. When you do this, you're abusing what Jesus told others.

Yes. There is not one single verse that says to use the KJV. In fact, you do greatly error when you promote the mistakes in a sinful despot king's edition to be equal with God. You soil God's reputation and character.

I can understand an Incomplete Dispensationalist, such as UGC saying that this passage does not apply to us... but am surprised to see treasure_unseen using a similar logic.

When God called David to be a king, does that apply to everyone?

My comments have nothing to do with some fallacy associated with "ages". I'm simply saying that Jesus was talking to a specific people. No-one, include you nor I, can just quote a verse and claim it applies to them.

Yes. Useful to know to whom..... Jesus was speaking.

Your reference to Act involves the same peoples.

Well, now you're using common sense, but remember, "lost_treasure" follows the "Spirit of God" and KNOWS the Bible! And of course, he was not there and so isn't part of the "you".

Why would I want to be something I'm not?

I just a believer that can study the Scriptures and declare them like anyone else. I'm not trying to authorize my ministry based upon something God told someone else.

Yes. Useful to know to whom..... Jesus was speaking.
Absolutely. Restricting the application of God's Word to the original readers... when future believers are mentioned ignores the commands made to devote ourselves to the "apostle's doctrines."

Your reference to Act involves the same peoples.

Certainly,... and a whole lot more... 120 (vs 15), then 3,000 (41) in Jerusalem.

Acts: "They [3,000 plus] devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles.a 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common.b 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts.d They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people.f And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." Ac 2:42–47.

When God called David to be a king, does that apply to everyone?
Yes. It is the historical record of God establishing His Kingdom through David and Jesus. We are a part of the kingdom of Jesus, which began with the dynasty of David.

My comments have nothing to do with some fallacy associated with "ages". I'm simply saying that Jesus was talking to a specific people. No-one, include you nor I, can just quote a verse and claim it applies to them.

You don't have to believe in an "ages" theology to make the same mistake of limiting the scope and application of God's commands.

Absolutely. Restricting the application of God's Word to the original readers... when future believers are mentioned ignores the commands made to devote ourselves to the "apostle's doctrines."

What future believers? Define the scope of what you're calling "future believers"?

Surely you're not going to extend this indefinitely to anyone?

Certainly,... and a whole lot more... 120 (vs 15), then 3,000 (41) in Jerusalem.

Acts: "They [3,000 plus] devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles.a 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common.b 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts.d They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people.f And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." Ac 2:42–47.

I don't see anyone past the first century in your list. Maybe you would like to try again?

Yes. It is the historical record of God establishing His Kingdom through David and Jesus. We are a part of the kingdom of Jesus, which began with the dynasty of David.

Well I certainly can't argue against Jesus but I can argue against you being include in that call.

Are you're a king? I've heard songs say they were but those stroked egos and inflated people's sense of being. Sorry. I MUST reject your claim to the throne. << just a little humor to set the scope.

You don't have to believe in an "ages" theology to make the same mistake of limiting the scope and application of God's commands.

It certain does make a difference. I'm not a king. You're not a king. We are slaves and servants at best. Our position is clear. Trying to be something we're not is dangerous.

What future believers? Define the scope of what you're calling "future believers"?
Surely you're not going to extend this indefinitely to anyone?

Surely, I will not extend the Gospel-giving ministry to the future, including us?! If you read the context of Acts, you cannot deny that we are included.

"Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” Ac 2:38–39.

Well I certainly can't argue against Jesus but I can argue against you being include in that call. Are you're a king? I've heard songs say they were but those stroked egos and inflated people's sense of being. Sorry. I MUST reject your claim to the throne. << just a little humor to set the scope.

I didn't say we would be a king... I am saying that we are subservient to the Davidic Kindom realized in Jesus Christ. We are subjects to Him.

Surely, I will not extend the Gospel-giving ministry to the future, including us?! If you read the context of Acts, you cannot deny that we are included.

"Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” Ac 2:38–39.

I don't see your claim of context.

Are you seriously connecting the Great Commission to the promise of the Holy Spirit? Peter is referencing the gift of the Holy Spirit not the Great Commision.

Paul said very clearly, that the preaching of the cross is a calling. Jesus commissioned the 70 and they were chosen from among his disciples. Not all of them were chosen........ How shall they hear without a preacher and how shall they preach except they be called/sent.

You're making connections that do not exist.

I didn't say we would be a king... I am saying that we are subservient to the Davidic Kindom realized in Jesus Christ. We are subjects to Him.

I'm glad you admit you're not a king. Not all servants have the same function and certainly not the same office.

You're pretending that all are called to fulfill the Great Commission in the gifting of the Holy Spirit. That wasn't even true in the first century much less now.

Well, if I may digress, I found a hardback commentary on Revelation by Jimmy Swarggart for 2 bucks at the Goodwill store. I let it slide. But if someone wants to give a hundred for it I'll set ya up.

Just sayin'