The Italian Gringo

Vince Massi

Elect
Reaction score
THE ITALIAN GRINGO?

Greetings, Gringos! I've been posting on Facebook, so I haven't sent out a newsletter in a while, but here's the news:

I moved my three laptops back home and Nancy and I started a ministry in our house. We have kids over almost every day for computers and DVDs. They behave pretty well and they have a good time. One of the orphanage kids decided that she wanted to move in with us (No chores, no homework, computer games and DVDs all the time), but we said "No."

And God blessed us with 19 kids on two vans  in Children's Church today.

And now: the difficult theological question that is dividing God's people around the globe--Should you upgrade to Windows 10? Microsoft is offering the free upgrade until July 29, and they say that it will be the last Windows system. From now on, Microsoft will upgrade Windows 10, but there will never be a Windows 11 (Or so they say). So should you accept the free upgrade?

About half the computers in the world use Windows 7. I upgraded my Win 7 desktop (my main computer) to 10 with no problems. Everything you need is in the bottom left corner of the screen. The new Start button has two columns. The traditional Start Button is in the left column. The Metro Interface (tiles) from Windows 8 is in the right column. Don't like Windows 8? You can delete the tiles you don't want, but DON'T DELETE THE TILE FOR WINDOWS STORE! It gives you thousands of downloads, many of them free, that Microsoft has tested and approved.

A problem with both 7 & 8 is that they have weak search engines. But now, next to the Start Button is "Ask Cortana," a fancy name for Win 10's powerful search engine.

About 11% of all computers use Windows 8 or 8.1. Win 10 runs better on a machine designed for Win 8, because it is more powerful than a Win 7 machine. The pesky Charms Bar on the right has been eliminated--the functions are found in the lower left corner now. If you liked the Metro Interface, it is now the right column of the Start Button. The powerful "Settings" button above the Start Button lets you expand the tiles to the whole page if you want it.

Win 10 includes the new "Edge" internet browser. However, all of your old browsers will survive the upgrade, and they all work well on 10.

In fact, almost every program will survive the upgrade--Win 10 deletes the few that don't. Windows Gadgets don't work on 10 if you have a Win 7 machine, but they work on machines originally designed for Win 8. Third-party programs sometimes won't work on a Win 7 machine that has been upgraded to 10.

Your anti-virus program will survive the transfer unharmed. Win 10 also includes the free Windows Defender. All of them work well if you don't keep bank account numbers, credit card numbers, etc., on your computer. If you do, you probably should buy a more  powerful anti-virus program.

And, last but not least, you have thirty days to go back to your original system if you don't like Win 10. My advice? It's an improvement over both Windows 7 & 8, and I advise the upgrade.

Adios, Vicente