The kissing question

Man without a country

Elect
Reaction score
So, most of us have heard IFB preachers say that their daughter's first kiss will be after the preacher that marries her says "you may kiss the bride". Has anybody ever heard what their position on their sons might be? Are they to wait as well? Wish that question could have been posed to Jack Hyles, his boy didn't seem to wait.

Man without a country said:
So, most of us have heard IFB preachers say that their daughter's first kiss will be after the preacher that marries her says "you may kiss the bride". Has anybody ever heard what their position on their sons might be? Are they to wait as well? Wish that question could have been posed to Jack Hyles, his boy didn't seem to wait.

Ah, the answers that are racing through my mind....LOL!

I kissed my wife on the lips for the first time at our wedding.  We pushed the limits up until that point as well, but we saved the "kiss."

My rule for my daughter will be "hands on hands, lips on lips, and everything else until marriage."

As for my son....I'll just thank God that he likes girls!

If I remember correctly, Jack Hyles stated while performing the wedding ceremony for David and Paula that this would be their first kiss.  I can only wonder if he was deluding himself or the attendees. Then again, I wasn't there so even the odds are incredibly slim that he was right, he may have been.

Norefund said:

If I remember correctly, Jack Hyles stated while performing the wedding ceremony for David and Paula that this would be their first kiss.  I can only wonder if he was deluding himself or the attendees. Then again, I wasn't there so even the odds are incredibly slim that he was right, he may have been.

I would think that this David and Paula (who I don't know) would have told him.

Norefund said:

I believe Paula's testimony reveals otherwise.  It's been a while since I've listened to it, but I believe she mentions the joke of Hyles saying that at the wedding.

So good to know Dave Hyles first kissed his wife at the altar. Who knows what he might have got up to if they hadn't waited.

Ransom said:
So good to know Dave Hyles first kissed his wife at the altar. Who knows what he might have got up to if they hadn't waited.

tumblr_lo1hgvVQ4d1qj73e2o1_500.gif

brianb said:
Norefund said:

I would think that this David and Paula (who I don't know) would have told him.

Hyles lied about a lot of other things too.  Most of his life was a total lie.

Twisted said:
bruinboy said:
Maybe the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Which part?

Not kissing until marriage. As the father of two beautiful married daughters, I would have some serious questions about them and their boyfriends if they hadn't kissed prior to marriage.

bruinboy said:
Twisted said:
bruinboy said:

Which part?

Not kissing until marriage. As the father of two beautiful married daughters, I would have some serious questions about them and their boyfriends if they hadn't kissed prior to marriage.

It depends on the couple. I know couples who have done this and things are working great in their marriage. This is something that a couple has to agree on you know set their own boundaries as a couple. There should be no manipulation or coercion involved and love should be the prime reason for it not fear. I really think that the marriages that didn't work out in churches like in Hammond was because of fear. 

bruinboy said:
Twisted said:
bruinboy said:

Which part?

I never kissed my wife until we first kissed at the marriage alter.
In fact, we never even held hands prior to the wedding practice, the day before the wedding.
Been married 28 years, have four beautiful children.

The honorable Rev. FSSL said:
I didn?t kiss my wife until we were married.

Neither did I kiss my wife until we were married.?

This don?t kiss until marriage deal seems to have, like many other IFB legends, originated in Hammond, perpetrated by Dr Hyles. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with not kissing until marriage, I?d wager few (even true believers) fulfilled this worthy goal.

Sadly, like many other Hyles legends, this was a fable....neither Dave or Jack practiced what they preached.

Tarheel Baptist said:
This don?t kiss until marriage deal seems to have, like many other IFB legends, originated in Hammond, perpetrated by Dr Hyles. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with not kissing until marriage, I?d wager few (even true believers) fulfilled this worthy goal.

Probably not, but speaking from experience, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you mean the teaching that couples should not kiss until the altar, I doubt it actually originated with Hyles (if that's what you're saying). I attended a church back in the early 90s whose pastor believed that was right. While he was as fundamentalist as they come, he never mentioned Hyles or Hammond, and I doubt he was really influenced by them. I would imagine that's the kind of moral teaching that crops up everywhere independently. Calling for one extreme of complete abstienence as protection against falling into the opposite extreme of sin is a fundy constant the world over.

Ransom said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

If you mean the teaching that couples should not kiss until the altar, I doubt it actually originated with Hyles (if that's what you're saying). I attended a church back in the early 90s whose pastor believed that was right. While he was as fundamentalist as they come, he never mentioned Hyles or Hammond, and I doubt he was really influenced by them. I would imagine that's the kind of moral teaching that crops up everywhere independently. Calling for one extreme of complete abstienence as protection against falling into the opposite extreme of sin is a fundy constant the world over.

It was definitely a part of the modern homeschool movement that now apostate Joshua Harris was a part of. Why else would he have refrained from kissing before marriage. Christians didn't even practice that kind of restraint in the 19th century. I can remember one time watching the movie Sheffey in church and my pastor afterwards pointed out that people did kiss at the moment of their engagement (though not passionately - I think that's a distinction that needs to be made). The whole not kissing before marriage thing is a modern reaction to worldly culture that allows premarital sex at any time as long as it is consensual popularized by the media. And a lot of parents even in Christian homes don't even think to talk to their kids about anything of a sexual nature.  I had to learn the hard way that kissing any one at anytime was a bad idea and I lost a friend because of it. My parents never warned me. What really needs to be taught Christian children (children should be saved first) is how to live the Christian life the Biblical way - in the Spirit under grace not in the flesh under the law.  If we just teach kids not to do certain things  I guarantee they will fail because when they get into a tempting situation they won't be hearing their parent's voice. They have to be walking in the Spirit. 

Ransom said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I agree and stated it was a worthy goal.
I understand that it didn?t originate with Dr Hyles. As Brian points out, it was also a part of the modern homeschool/courtship movements.
My point is that most IFB fundamentalists were first exposed to this via Hyles/Hammond.