The Pope is Right Again!

IFB X-Files

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
http://christchurchbaptist.org/dr--popes-blog/post/is-drinking-alcoholic-beverages-right-or-wrong_2

I'm sure they would love this upstairs!  :)

I like Johnny Pope, but please....

One of my most vivid memories as a 7 year old boy in jr/primary church was of a young firebrand, red-faced Johnny Pope shocking the fire out of me when he threw and smashed an empty liquor bottle at the wall.  Some 44ish years later I haven't touched a drop.  We come to the same conclusions albeit I find the conclusion from a total different path.  That preaching did me no harm and may have greatly influenced my sobriety to this day.

TidesofTruth said:
One of my most vivid memories as a 7 year old boy in jr/primary church was of a young firebrand, red-faced Johnny Pope shocking the fire out of me when he threw and smashed an empty liquor bottle at the wall.  Some 44ish years later I haven't touched a drop.  We come to the same conclusions albeit I find the conclusion from a total different path.  That preaching did me no harm and may have greatly influenced my sobriety to this day.

A great testimony!

We would influence our kids by using magazine ads of booze and tearing them up yelling, "NO,NO,NO"!  When our daughter was about 4, we were in the store and it was close to a holiday and I reached to get a bottle of Martenneli's (sp?) sparkling apple juice.  My daughter saw me reach for it and started yelling, "No, Daddy, NO!"  It shocked us and took us a second to understand why she did that.  That training has worked till this day.

pavlov's dog, it's just conditioning.
pavlov-s-dog.jpg

We lived in a dry County when our children were very young.  There was no type of alcohol in the stores, so when we moved to a larger city in a wet county, it was somewhat of a shock to go grocery shopping .  One of our first grocery shopping trips resulted in our almost 4 year old saying -  in a loud voice - " Mommy, that lady is buying beer!  We need to pray for her. She might not know beer is wicked! Let's pray for her,  Mommy."

bgwilkinson said:

Some of us, maybe the weaker of us may benefit from that conditioning until the Spirit of God has a chance to take control and show us our weights that may easily beset us.  Just a thought.

patriotic said:
We lived in a dry County when our children were very young.  There was no type of alcohol in the stores, so when we moved to a larger city in a wet county, it was somewhat of a shock to go grocery shopping .  One of our first grocery shopping trips resulted in our almost 4 year old saying -  in a loud voice - " Mommy, that lady is buying beer!  We need to pray for her. She might not know beer is wicked! Let's pray for her,  Mommy."

pavlov-s-dog.jpg