The Problem with "Hell" in English

ChristB4us

Elect
Reaction score
There has been false teachings in the past where believers lose their salvation and so that can influence Strong's Concordance and even Biblical scholars today. There are scriptures warning believers to repent or else be cast into "hell" BUT the Greek word from which the English word "hell" is translated from is "geena' or "gehenna" which is a place on earth and thus never referring to the after life "hell" at all.

Such verses are: Matthew 5:21-23 KJV about being angry with your brother without cause and not making peace between the two.

Matthew 5:28-30 KJV about lusting after a woman with your eye and not making an effort to prevent yourself from doing that like look at something else and think about something else.

Matthew 10:27-28 KJV about the danger of not witnessing or resisting His leading to witness thus denying Him before men, destroying soul and body in this "hell" but if you consider that there are 2 different kinds of inheritance in His House, as the ones that depart from iniquity shall be vessels unto honor in His House, thus those that do not depart from iniquity by the time the Bridegroom comes, shall become "damned" as vessels unto dishonor in His House, vessels of wood and earth ( 2 Timothy 2:18-22 KJV ). Thus that first inheritance of what might have been, the soul & body as vessels of gold and silver, is destroyed in becoming that vessels of wood & earth and so in that sense, the soul's & body's first inheritance is destroyed as in reduced but the spirit is still saved.

These are all addressing believers in Jesus Christ and the consequence for not doing what He has asks us to do is "hell", but this again, is not the afterlife "hell" but the "hell' on earth when left behind at the rapture.

So when Jesus is referring to believers being in danger of "Gehenna" it is a refuse dump located outside the city of Jerusalem as symbolic of being left behind from that City of God in Heaven. On the flip side from what is being denied from saved believers, it is what they shall be receiving in this Gehenna also known as the valley of slaughter per Jeremiah 7:32 KJV & Revelation 2:18-25 KJV & Revelation 18:1-24 KJV

So when you read Strong's Concordance, you have to lean on Jesus Christ for discernment & wisdom in seeing that Gehenna which has always been a reference to a place on earth, is why Jesus is referring to that Gehenna as a hell on earth rather than the afterlife.

The Greek word "geena" defined as in Strong's Concordance : "of Hebrew origin (1516 and Hinnom 2011); valley of (the son of) Hinnom; ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment:--hell." as found at this site: Textus Receptus Greek Text King James Bible With Strongs Dictionary

There are places where Jesus is clear as to where he is cutting believers off the vine to; note verse 6 of John 15:1-8 KJV and that is a place on earth that He is cutting the believers off to be with the unbelievers on earth for when He sends that fire on the earth per verse 49 of Luke 12:40-49 KJV

If you doubt that they are still saved, in spite of 2 Timothy 2:18-22 's exhortation to go to Jesus for help in discerning & departing from iniquity to get ready, notice the stripes that the servants that are cut off in Luke 12:46-48 are receiving per the knowledge they had for not being ready and the knowledge they did not have for not being ready as both are getting stripes. Then read verse 6 of Hebrews 12:1-11 KJV

Another example of "hell" on earth which sometimes can be overlooked per Strong's Concordance is how Sheol in Hebrew defined as "or shol {sheh-ole'}; from 'sha'al' (7592); Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:--grave, hell, pit." as actually referring to a place on earth where the deads are.

Deuteronomy 32:21 They have moved me to jealousy with that which is not God; they have provoked me to anger with their vanities: and I will move them to jealousy with those which are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation. 22 For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains. 23 I will heap mischiefs upon them; I will spend mine arrows upon them.

I suspect the judgment given in the past will be repeated towards Babylon USA in the near future at the pre great tribulation rapture event as given in this post already in Revelation 18:1-24.

I know that when it comes to the Greek word "pneuma" for spirit in English, it does not always refer to the Person of the Holy Spirit. Per Strong's Concordance "from pnew - pneo 4154; a current of air, i.e. breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively, a spirit, i.e. (human) the rational soul, (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, demon, or (divine) God, Christ's spirit, the Holy Spirit:--ghost, life, spirit(-ual, -ually), mind. Compare yuch - psuche 5590." And so discernment & wisdom from the Lord is needed to understand in the context of the message being given, what that spirit is.

So obviously, when it comes to eternal security of the believer, we need His help to discern what that "hell" is that He is sending unrepentant but saved believers to because of His word that He shall lose no one.

John 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. 40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. KJV

"Where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched" (Mark 9:48).

The fires in the refuse dump of Gehenna went out centuries ago. The fire Jesus speaks of never goes out. There is a place of eternal torment, for which Gehenna became a metaphor.

"Where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched" (Mark 9:48).

The fires in the refuse dump of Gehenna went out centuries ago. The fire Jesus speaks of never goes out. There is a place of eternal torment, for which Gehenna became a metaphor.
Thank you for sharing.

Here is something prophetic for you to consider since His words describes this Mark 9:48 as being applied that all flesh shall observed this in the land of the living in this new heaven and new earth.

Isaiah 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord. 24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

So is there a Gehenna outside the City of New Jerusalem for all "flesh" to see that come to worship the Lord there? Looks that way....

But there is that truth that Mark 9:48 is addressing saved believers in context of Mark 9:41-50 KJV and so is this the same future Gehenna outside the City of New Jerusalem? I would say no.

I would say that fallen Babylon Revelation 18:1-24 KJV is that Gehenna as the place of slaughter and although it does say that in Mark 9:48, but is it in respect of until Jesus has made a new heaven and a new earth for that western hemisphere, that one third of the earth per Revelation 8:7 KJV , to be habitable again?

And so after the new heaven and the new earth, is the only Gehenna would be that valley of slaughter outside of New Jerusalem where the Lord vanquished the world's armies marching against Jerusalem? Revelation 19:11-21 KJV

I admit that we prophesy in part and know in part but how does one apply the yet future prophesy of Isaiah 66:22-24 otherwise?

So going back to Mark 9:41-50 as applying towards the saved believers left behind in fallen Babylon USA when that third of the earth, the western hemisphere, gets burned up, and bodies will be left unburied, I can see that applying to the fate of the physical bodies of those "unrepentant saints: left behind in that Gehenna, but not their spirits which are still saved & thus in Heaven, waiting for their resurrection after the great tribulation as vessels unto dishonor in his House, vessels of wood & earth for not departing from iniquity by His grace & by His help before the Bridegroom come.

When you read the last two verses of Mark 9:41-50 KJV is that the purpose for this death to occur to restore that saltiness to those that had gone astray for when they are resurrected after the great tribulation? I would say yes. I read verse 50 about having peace with each other and so this is the warning for every believer when they do not forgive their brethren of their trespasses per Matthew 18:21-35 KJV just as this is the warning for believers that think they can get away with that sin of defrauding their brethren; Matthew 5:22-26 KJV & 1 Thessalonians 4:6 KJV

The truth is that God will be the judge and He will finish His work even in the unrepentant brother left behind but we are to forgive them for they know not what they do so that when He does finish His work on that unrepentant brother, there will be peace when He does bring that lost sheep Home between all the brethren in this kingdom of Heaven where no evil shall dwell.

What reasons for worms to be in the afterlife? Gehenna is then a place referring to the land of the living where the corpses of the dead are at, from what worms live off of.
Gehenna wasn't used for burning corpses in Jesus' day, either. As I said--it's a figure of speech standing for something else.