The "Simplicity" that is in Christ.

praise_yeshua

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
(KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

I have a friend that preaches a sermon on... ."keep it simple" from this verse. I've heard others preach similar sermons from this verse. It makes a decent sermon.... the only problem is.....

This is probably one of the worst mistakes made in translating the NT.

There is NOTHING.... simple about Christ. You may make a "simple statement" like "Christ is God". "Christ died for sinners"..... However, there is nothing "SIMPLE" about what those statements mean.

I think the NIV more accurately translates this, and it changes the meaning implied by the KJV.  It doesn't say anything about "the simplicity that is in Christ".

3 But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent?s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.

Maybe that's how it was understood when the KJV was translated, but the KJV is very misleading now.

The Rogue Tomato said:
I think the NIV more accurately translates this, and it changes the meaning implied by the KJV.  It doesn't say anything about "the simplicity that is in Christ".

3 But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent?s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.

Maybe that's how it was understood when the KJV was translated, but the KJV is very misleading now.

Most any modern version is MUCH better. Its primarily a textual issue but its also a word choice problem. I'm don't understand the choice of words in the KJV. The same word in the KJV is translated "singleness" in other areas of the NT. In fact, its also translated as "liberality" and "bountifulness".

Just seems like they were really "all over the place" with it.

praise_yeshua said:
(KJV) But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

I have a friend that preaches a sermon on... ."keep it simple" from this verse. I've heard others preach similar sermons from this verse. It makes a decent sermon.... the only problem is.....

There is NOTHING.... simple about Christ. You may make a "simple statement" like "Christ is God". "Christ died for sinners"..... However, there is nothing "SIMPLE" about what those statements mean.

praise_yeshua:

You indicated that the statement "Christ is God" does not have a simple meaning.  Where in scripture, might I ask, does it indicate that Jesus Christ is also Almighty God?  Please provide a couple of scriptural examples by quoting scripture.  Be sure to include Bible book, chapter, and verse.

Alter2Ego

Alter2Ego said:
praise_yeshua said:

praise_yeshua:

You indicated that the statement "Christ is God" does not have a simple meaning.  Where in scripture, might I ask, does it indicate that Jesus Christ is also Almighty God?  Please provide a couple of scriptural examples by quoting scripture.  Be sure to include Bible book, chapter, and verse.

Alter2Ego
You'll get no answer...
PY has since departed our ranks, and burned his bridge back.

earnestly contend

The word simplicity can imply purity so there really isn't a problem with the word just with the reader.

prophet said:
Alter2Ego said:
praise_yeshua:

Alter2Ego
You'll get no answer...
PY has since departed our ranks, and burned his bridge back.

earnestly contend

prophet:

Thanks for the info regarding the absence of praise_yeshua.  Burned his bridge back; hmm?  Interesting.

Alter2Ego