The Twelve Days of Christmas

Ekklesian

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score

What are the 12 days of Christmas?

The 12 days of Christmas is the period in Christian theology that marks the span between the birth of Christ and the coming of the Magi, the three wise men. It begins on December 25 (Christmas) and runs through January 6 (the Epiphany, sometimes also called Three Kings’ Day). The four weeks preceding Christmas are collectively known as Advent, which begins four Sundays before Christmas and ends on December 24.*

*ht tps://www.vox.com/21796404/12-days-of-christmas-explained

The history of the carol is somewhat murky. The earliest known version first appeared in a 1780 children’s book called Mirth With-out Mischief. (A first edition of that book sold for $23,750 at a Sotheby’s auction in 2014, but you can also buy a digital copy on Amazon.) Some historians think the song could be French in origin, but most agree it was designed as a “memory and forfeits” game, in which singers tested their recall of the lyrics and had to award their opponents a “forfeit” — a kiss or a favor of some kind — if they made a mistake.*

*ht tps://www.vox.com/21796404/12-days-of-christmas-explained

Whoever the "true love" in this song is, he had a thing with birds...

The song is not a coded primer on Christianity...

[^^not entirely agreed. Ekk.]
...This theory seems tailor-made for circulation via chain emails, but it actually makes little sense once you examine it. Snopes has a great explanation of the many, many holes in its logic. The most egregious: First, the song’s gifts have nothing to do with their Christian “equivalents,” *
And here is where I part ways with the historian. Though it's true this theory is a late invention, I think the imagery is eminently relevant to the thing it is said to symbolize, and that, to me, in the absence of any evidence of its authorship or history prior to it's 'first' appearance (from our point of view) suggests intent.

If the glove fits, why not wear it?

I'm not saying to adopt the imagined history, but I see no harm in employing the symbolism.

I'm not going to scour the Internet looking to cite every variation of interpretation, so I'm going from memory of the things I've seen over the years where I differ from this citation from a Catholic publication**. (Hey, Christmas is their holiday anyway. I guess they can take certain liberties with its songs. )
The "True Love" one hears in the song is not a smitten boy or girlfriend but Jesus Christ, because truly Love was born on Christmas Day. The partridge in the pear tree also represents Him because that bird is willing to sacrifice its life if necessary to protect its young by feigning injury to draw away predators.
The two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments Gentle and harmless now that Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
The three French hens stood for faith, hope, and love.
The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
The five golden rings rerepresented the first five books of the Old Testament, which describe man's fall into sin and the great love of God in sending a Savior.
The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.
Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit-----Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.
The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes. Milk of the Word.
Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit-----Charity, Joy, Peace, Patience [Forbearance], Goodness [Kindness], Mildness, Fidelity, Modesty, Continency [Chastity]. There are also nine gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12. They're dancing because these graces and gifts of grace.
The ten lords a-leaping were the Ten Commandments. Leaping because the Spirit gives life. We walk in the Spirit, and the law is fulfilled.
The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful Apostles. I think this one is forced, because there is only one place I know of they're referred to as the Eleven, and the Spirit had not yet come upon them in power.
The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in The Apostles' Creed. Or the Twelve Apostles, rather, regulating and uniting the Church.
**https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/resource/55904/the-history-of-the-twelve-days-of-christmas