"Think on these things"

ALAYMAN

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
First let me say that I am not attempting to start a politically divisive conversation here. What I am about to say could be applied equally in a bipartisan fashion.

In Nancy Pelosi's efforts before the impeachment committee hearing today she first quoted Abraham Lincoln in efforts to defend the rush to (urgently) impeach Trump. She followed her comments from Lincoln's words with a quote from the Apostle Paul..."think on these things". She asked that congress think on the things she just said regarding impeachment. I get so tired of people decontextualizing things today in efforts to gain authority for their own position(s). In this case it is particularly egregious to take the word of God out of context to forward political ideology. It's a scary thing when people abuse religion for personal gain, whether Christianity or other. In our current state of disingenuous post-modern relativism we are sinking quickly to retain the moorings of the basic medium of communication, truth. I don't want to sound melodramatic, but I am more worried about our world than I ever thought I could be, and it isn't merely due to the current state of our political quandry, but rather the inability to reach a civil common ground to any significant degree because we can't even agree on the meaning of words, let alone their value and application to vital issues of humanity like freedom, security, and the common good.

</rant>

I can do all things through a verse taken out of context.
It is kinda funny and sad to see the hostility towards Christianity yet many of the same politicians will quote a verse when they can twist it to fit their agendas.

I can do all things through a verse taken out of context.
It is kinda funny and sad to see the hostility towards Christianity yet many of the same politicians will quote a verse when they can twist it to fit their agendas.
Precisely. I am so disgusted by people who try to manipulate others, and politicians do it continually. Under the banner of "conservatives" we evangelicals/funamentalists are so easily made into "useful idiots". I am disgusted in this moment by the concept found within the thread title because I do want us to be thinking people, but so many folk have a very anemic arsenal of critical thinking skills so as to hear things like what Pelosi said and find profundity in them rather than disgust.