This is not a joke!

Vince Massi

Elect
Reaction score
On the HAC threads, there are a lot of jokes about HAC handing out honorary doctorates as if they were only  pieces of paper. But, thinking over the list of recipients, there really are people who have been used by God to do major works.

How many people with EARNED doctorates from BJU have been used by God to build major works?

Now, ask yourself "Which is better? An honorary doctorate from HAC or an earned doctorate from BJU?"

The best reward is the one not sought after but conveyed by the Father to a humbled servant that we might cast at the feet of Jesus.

Depends on what is the definitions of a major work for God? Does a pastor who found a church that membership is in the thousands or a man who works two jobs to support his wife and children and provide for them not only financially, spiritually etc. Or a pastor or missionary in a county or country where the number of people he reaches are only a handful.

I do not think much of honorary degrees, most of the times they are given as a pay off for support, etc.

Vince Massi said:
On the HAC threads, there are a lot of jokes about HAC handing out honorary doctorates as if they were only  pieces of paper. But, thinking over the list of recipients, there really are people who have been used by God to do major works.

How many people with EARNED doctorates from BJU have been used by God to build major works?

Now, ask yourself "Which is better? An honorary doctorate from HAC or an earned doctorate from BJU?"

I tend to be suspicious of honorary doctorates, as they too often are used to buy friendship, support, or silence.  If there is strict control of awarding an honorary doctorate, it could be good - that is, people are proposed and an independent group reviews the people.  Too often in "Christian" colleges, the MOG, who runs the college, just lays down the law of whom should be awarded a doctorate.  Far too often, the recipient of an honorary doctorate wants to use his new title.

Certainly, some men have done works worthy of being awarded a doctorate... but I would not award a man for numerical success.  Faithfulness - a man who spends 25-40 years at one pastorate would seem to be a good candidate, regardless of his church size.

There is also real work that goes into an earned doctorate.

Harold B. Sightler received one from BJU before was ushered into eternity.  Ironic, really, if you ask me considering Tabernacle Baptist Church and School were mortal enemies of the BJU bible faculty, particularly Dr. Stewart Custer.  It's all a joke to me.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk