Toby Mac

subllibrm

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Since he keeps invading so many other threads I thought he should finally have one of his own.  8)

I believe the same standards that apply to most everything else done in the name of God...... should apply to "edifying music.... "

1Co 14:11  Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

I can't understand most anything he is saying. This generally applies to most "metal" "gospel" rock. Its not worth anything if you can't understand it.

Now, I have heard a few gospel rappers that were very clear and edifying. Not my taste in music, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

aleshanee said:
admin said:
I know quite a few people who have the same tuft. What meant something 20 years ago does not mean the same today. So giving him the benefit of the doubt is reasonable.

oh really?..... because i heard it called by that same name just a few years ago when i worked at starbucks by tourist describing someone who wore one.......i said "20 years ago" because that was when i was immersed in that culture and heard terms like that used all the time...........  i;m younger than you are .... and younger than most people here...... don;t you think if i can see that and have a memory like that come to mind that other americans and church goers much older than both of us don;t see it and think the same things?..........

i;m not saying he is wearing that thing on his upper chin to give off a vulgar impression..... like i said..... he might simply be ignorant of the culture he is representing by having it...... and by clearly maintaining it so carefully...  ::) ..... likewise his fans .... or most of them... might be ignorant of it too........... but he sends out a negative message to those who are not ignorant of it......  and some of those might be the very people he and his fans would like to add to his fan base but have so far been unable to.......... just saying.........

I agree with most of what you're saying..... I do believe he simply wears it to be "cool" or to be "different" from the masses. This in and of itself.... creates problems.

aleshanee said:
well then maybe you can answer this question i asked about him in another thread....  8)

nothing against toby mac personally..... i;ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he might be ignorant of a few aspects of the culture he is representing........... but do any of you fans of toby mac know what that little tuft of facial hair he wears under his lower lip is called?..... ....

I didn't know it had sexual connotations.  I thought it was called a soul patch, and the roots were the hippie/beatnik generation (especially those stupid dark room poet sessions). 

admin said:
^ simultaneous postings.

Aleshanee... I understand your difficulty with the culture in which you were raised. I am sure it offends you greatly. I can appreciate that.

However, not everything finds its origins in the strip club. Try not to let it define everything you see.

Really?

"House drummer D.J. Fontana brought a new element, complementing Elvis' movements with accented beats that he had mastered playing in strip clubs." - See more at: http://biography.elvis.com.au/#sthash.wY1uCUBR.dpuf

admin said:
Are we talking about the "soul patch?"

That's the only term I've heard for that type of facial grooming.

aleshanee said:
the term i heard used to describe it went by the initials of C. T. ..... and if you want to know what that means send me a pm and i;ll tell you......you can call it what you want but i can guarantee you a large part of the population still knows it by it;s former name.... and if you check into it... i;ll be willing to bet it is still called by that name in the strip club culture today......

According to Urban Dictionary C.T. is defined as a soul patch ...  it also stated: "Basically, what is also known as a soul patch - a patch of hair below the bottom lip with little or no other facial hair. Generally worn by very unattractive (or too old) males to increase their sex appeal - normally with the opposite result."

admin said:
Of course, strip clubs would take it and twist it.

Well. Strip Clubs also take something beautiful that God created for man (woman's body) and twist it and make it become something God never intended.

aleshanee said:
subllibrm said:
Since he keeps invading so many other threads I thought he should finally have one of his own.  8)

well then maybe you can answer this question i asked about him in another thread....  8)

nothing against toby mac personally..... i;ll give him the benefit of the doubt that he might be ignorant of a few aspects of the culture he is representing........... but do any of you fans of toby mac know what that little tuft of facial hair he wears under his lower lip is called?..... .... having spent the first 10 years of my life in the back room of strip clubs while my mom... and later my older sister... danced on stage........ i heard carefully scuplted and trimmed bits of facial hair like that referred to by a very specific and vulgar term......... and no..... i don;t want anybody here to post or or repeat it.... ..i;m just saying that even 20 years after being removed from that scene i still can;t even look at a picture of toby macs face... or of anyone else sporting that same upper chin decoration...  and not have that phrase run through my head........

Soul patch like Shaggy on the Scooby Doo show. Never heard anything different. I am sorry that it holds a bad connotation for you.

I knew EXACTLY what aleshanee was referencing.....

I've pretty much heard it called that most of my adult life. "Soul patch" is new to me.

According to MW the first known use of the term "Soul Patch" was 1991..... So just because someone began wearing the things in the 50s doesn't mean it was called a "soul patch". The term aleshanee used pre dates the term "Soul Patch".....

Some of you need to do a little more research before you start blasting someone.

This doesn't mean I think the problem with Toby Mac revolves around what he uses the hair on his face for....

Not until today. 52 years old. Blue collar worker in a small town.

Maynard G Krebs wore one on Dobie Gillis along with his goatee.

I should note that Mr. Mac has had this since his DC Talk days. His record label is Goatee Records. I believe the soul patch is just part of the goatee look.

I'm not saying that it hasn't been called other things but I'm not convinced of a universal understanding of that meaning.

At the risk of this going really far south, I remember on a previous iteration of the FFF one of the gals referring to her cleavage as her crumb catcher (followed by many other suggestions). So the soul patch has a different nickname in some settings. Doesn't mean that is why the person grew it. At least I hope not since my last two pastors have had them.  :)

Even before I became a Christian as a young man I had great disdain for the peer pressure and pop culture lemming philosophy.  I just have never been a follower.  If somebody were to say to me "do this and it will make ya cool" then you can bet I'd probably do just the opposite.  I like to make my own mind up as to why I do what I do, say what I say, and go where I go.  Of course that maverick streak has been tamed by the Lord now that I have been redeemed.  But that penchant for not following the crowd leaves me pretty unimpressed by the whole hip-hop nation (and other pop culture movements like it).  I think it makes Christians look gullible, and often times worldly.  We ought to be creative and novel in our attitudes that are derived from the Bible, not merely lock-step devotees of the latest skinny-jeans and soul patch (or Andy Griffity/Father Knows Best) phenomenon.  That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

ALAYMAN said:
Even before I became a Christian as a young man I had great disdain for the peer pressure and pop culture lemming philosophy.  I just have never been a follower.  If somebody were to say to me "do this and it will make ya cool" then you can bet I'd probably do just the opposite.  I like to make my own mind up as to why I do what I do, say what I say, and go where I go.  Of course that maverick streak has been tamed by the Lord now that I have been redeemed.  But that penchant for not following the crowd leaves me pretty unimpressed by the whole hip-hop nation (and other pop culture movements like it).  I think it makes Christians look gullible, and often times worldly.  We ought to be creative and novel in our attitudes that are derived from the Bible, not merely lock-step devotees of the latest skinny-jeans and soul patch (or Andy Griffity/Father Knows Best) phenomenon.  That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Sounds we have somethings in common... :)

I pretty much feel the same way. When I was younger..... I thought everyone had to be like me. I did this... because that was the way I was taught. Since then, I've changed my mind about many things. I generally try to let such things go........ UNLESS it comes down to someone trying to say they are right about it when everyone else is wrong. I have no problem with someone having a personal preference for some things. Heck.... even most things.....

However, I don't like it when someone takes something you can't understand.... and claims they are "ministering" to someone with it. Hogwash.

Now I understand why my dad was also so discussed whenever a preacher had a goatee ... he mentioned something about sexual implications ... but, then again, many things bother my dad that I don't quite understand. I have always hated the whole "your generation just don't get it" when it comes to things like facial hair, dress, music .... because frankly, many of my generation, and the next, just do things because they seem normal, or preferable.

I had never heard of the soul patch, (or it called by any other name) until Apolo Ohno burst on to the scene a few years back in the Olympics. And to be quite honest, since then, I never knew it went by any other name. Learn something new every day, I guess.

:)

ALAYMAN said:

Well then... thanks for the honesty. It really isn't about the content of the words in CCM being watered down. You don't like the style. You don't like the style because you don't like the culture.

LeCrae and tobyMac are reaching a culture many here do not like.

[quote author=FSSL]LeCrae and tobyMac are reaching a culture many here do not like.[/quote]

:eek:

ALAYMAN said:

+1  I never followed the crowd, never felt like I need to appease anyone else but me. One of the advantages of being a runt growing up and a loner.