Trickle Down Does Still Work

sword

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Despite claims from the left, company?s great and small, have started issuing raises & bonuses to their employees. Walmart announced today that nearly all its 1.4 million US workforce are getting a dollar and hr. raise, plus a cash bonus as a direct result of the new tax plan. Many others have announced they will be hiring more workers as a result of the new tax deal. 

List of some of the Bonuses

COMPANY             BONUS NO. OF EMPLOYEES GETTING BONUS

AT&T                     $1,000 200,000
Alaska Airlines     $1,000 19,000
American Airlines     $1,000 130,000
Bank of America     $1,000 145,000
BB&T                     $1,200        27,000
Comcast                     $1,000 100,000
Fifth Third Bank     $1,000 13,500
JetBlue                     $1,000 21,000
Nationwide             $1,000 29,000
PNC Financial             $1,000 47,500
Sinclair Broadcast     $1,000 9,000
Southwest Airlines     $1,000 55,000
Travelers                     $1,000 14,000
U.S. Bancorp             $1,000 60,000
Walmart             up to $1,000 1.4 million

According to the group Americans for Tax Reform, 125 companies have already announced intentions to give raises and / or bonuses as a result of the new tax plan.

Rush said that 81 companies (so far) are giving raises, increasing benefits, etc.

The $1000 was only to Walmart employees of 20 years.

The bonuses will be determined by an employee's length of service. Those workers with more than 20 years of experience will qualify to receive the full $1,000. However, workers with less than two years of experience will receive $200, a Walmart spokesman told CNBC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/walmart-to-boost-starting-wage-give-employees-bonus-after-tax-bill.html

The total bonus payout is about $400 million.

The one-time bonus of up to $1,000 is based on seniority and will amount to an additional $400 million.

Wikipedia says Walmart employs 2.3 million employees. $400 million divided by 2.3 million folks brings the average to about $175 per employee. Considering some have been there over 20 years to get the full $1000 bonus, those who work there 5 years or less don't get much.

To compensate, Walmart closes 63 stores abruptly:

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

So are you suggesting trickle down really works or could it be a mirage?

Smellin Coffee said:
Wikipedia says Walmart employs 2.3 million employees. $400 million divided by 2.3 million folks brings the average to about $175 per employee. Considering some have been there over 20 years to get the full $1000 bonus, those who work there 5 years or less don't get much.

The left complains that Walmart underpays its employees.
Then the left complains that Walmart gives its employees a bonus.

Some people are never satisfied.

Apparently, the only money that can do someone any good is what the government gives them.

Ransom said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Apparently, the only money that can do someone any good is what the government gives them.

Laying off is "underpaying" employees. I'm glad they are raising their hiring wage to a more livable wage. I'm also not complaining the company is giving out a bonus. What I am saying is they shouldn't be giving out bonuses (primarily at corporate level where most 20-year employees work) at the expense of cutting the jobs of others, especially the lower-waged jobs. The bonus is nothing more than a shell game, not true "trickle down".

Perhaps the stores that are being closed are under-performing stores and the closures have been in the works for a while. If that's the case, I'll admit that it's bad timing on Walmart's part to announce bonuses and higher starting wages and then announce store closings.

I've been in one of the Sam's Club stores that is slated for closure in Illinois (Matteson) and I have to admit that it's not the best Sam's Club I've ever been in. It's also in an economically depressed area that has seen a lot of stores going out of business, so I'm sure that hasn't helped.

HeDied4U said:
Perhaps the stores that are being closed are under-performing stores and the closures have been in the works for a while. If that's the case, I'll admit that it's bad timing on Walmart's part to announce bonuses and higher starting wages and then announce store closings.

I've been in one of the Sam's Club stores that is slated for closure in Illinois (Matteson) and I have to admit that it's not the best Sam's Club I've ever been in. It's also in an economically depressed area that has seen a lot of stores going out of business, so I'm sure that hasn't helped.

So rather than infusing $ into an economically-depressed area by fixing the issues, it just makes more people in that area unemployed. So what happens? The club members go to the more "economically productive" (i.e, white) areas to do their business. Hurts both the patrons in the area who are transportationally challenged as well as the former employees of the store.

Smellin Coffee said:
HeDied4U said:

So rather than infusing $ into an economically-depressed area by fixing the issues, it just makes more people in that area unemployed. So what happens? The club members go to the more "economically productive" (i.e, white) areas to do their business. Hurts both the patrons in the area who are transportationally challenged as well as the former employees of the store.

Life sucks, doesn't it?

Chrysler Fiat America is giving all employees $2000 bonuses and moving factory from Mexico back to Mi and employing 2500 employees.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2018/01/12/fiat-chrysler-donald-trump-tweets-nafta-mexico/1027435001/

Smellin Coffee said:
HeDied4U said:

Evil corporations wanting to make a profit!
That surely will change the direction of the flotillas!

Smellin Coffee said:
HeDied4U said:

Three of the six Chicago area stores that are closing are in predominately white suburbs, so that kind of shoots down that theory.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:
HeDied4U said:

Nothing wrong with wanting to make a profit, but to what end? To employ and help others live healthy lives? Sure! But I have issues with the making wider profit margins for the executives and board members over the laborers.

It isn't about profitability; it's about where the profits actually go and how they are actually used.

HeDied4U said:
Smellin Coffee said:
HeDied4U said:

Three of the six Chicago area stores that are closing are in predominately white suburbs, so that kind of shoots down that theory.

Perhaps, but the idea is still the whole thing is a shell game.

Twisted said:
Smellin Coffee said:
HeDied4U said:

Life sucks, doesn't it?

For some, yes.

Just like the family I know who is expecting their 4th child next month (the eldest died two years ago at age 10) and are facing eviction the 9th of February (her scheduled C-section date is Feb 2). He hasn't worked since October due to an injury because his employer won't let him work "until he is 100%" and deemed so by a doctor).

This is a refugee family from Sudan who moved here 15 months ago without knowing a word in English and neither with an education past 9th grade. No skill set, language barrier, no education and no Internet (except for his Obamaphone which has very limited data).

So yeah, life does suck for some.

Smellin Coffee said:
Twisted said:
Smellin Coffee said:
HeDied4U said:

Life sucks, doesn't it?

For some, yes.

Just like the family I know who is expecting their 4th child next month (the eldest died two years ago at age 10) and are facing eviction the 9th of February (her scheduled C-section date is Feb 2). He hasn't worked since October due to an injury because his employer won't let him work "until he is 100%" and deemed so by a doctor).

This is a refugee family from Sudan who moved here 15 months ago without knowing a word in English and neither with an education past 9th grade. No skill set, language barrier, no education and no Internet (except for his Obamaphone which has very limited data).

So yeah, life does suck for some.

And who's paying for the C- section?  Was he injured at work? 

It used to be immigrants had to have support here before they come. 

This is exactly who we DON'T want immigrating.  So, Smellin', step up and pay the rent and the C-Section.  And get them internet.

Tarheel Baptist said:

You have to understand that to the left, a business proprietor is not running a means of making himself money and hiring employees to help him do so. He is a social worker running a charity for their benefit.

The blinkered left just can't see that whenever a business is run that way, it fails. Leftist idealism gets steamrolled by enlightened self-interest, every time.

Ransom said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

You have to understand that to the left, a business proprietor is not running a means of making himself money and hiring employees to help him do so. He is a social worker running a charity for their benefit.

Can't speak about the entire left, but yeah, according to the parables of Jesus too. ;)

Smellin Coffee said:
Ransom said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Laying off is "underpaying" employees. I'm glad they are raising their hiring wage to a more livable wage. I'm also not complaining the company is giving out a bonus. What I am saying is they shouldn't be giving out bonuses (primarily at corporate level where most 20-year employees work) at the expense of cutting the jobs of others, especially the lower-waged jobs. The bonus is nothing more than a shell game, not true "trickle down".

To help you with your math Walmart has 1.4 million employees in the US. The raises and bonuses apply to US employees only. Walmart has 4672 stores in the US (660 Sams clubs). The stores they are closing are under performing stores many in difficult areas to do business. The number of employees they employee at their world headquarters is minimal as a % of the total number.

Smellin Coffee said:
Ransom said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Can't speak about the entire left, but yeah, according to the parables of Jesus too. ;)

You are my go to guy as to what the Bible says and doesn't say.... ::)
You are not only biblically ignorant, you are economically challenged as well.
Your number was no doubt 1! ;)

sword said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Ransom said:
Smellin Coffee said:

To help you with your math Walmart has 1.4 million employees in the US. The raises and bonuses apply to US employees only. Walmart has 4672 stores in the US (660 Sams clubs). The stores they are closing are under performing stores many in difficult areas to do business. The number of employees they employee at their world headquarters is minimal as a % of the total number.

You don't understand business like #1 does.
Walmart should not consider whether or not the stores show profit or loss...they simply keep them going.
Until America is like Venezuela!