Tuition and Fee Debate

IFBReformer

Elect
Reaction score
Should Providence Baptist College really should give out discount for son and daughter of Full Time Minster?

The tuition is already high, and the fee seems to sweeten the balance sheet. If it help everyone, there shouldn't be discount and everyone pay rather then non-full time worker paying for the full time worker mommy and daddy.

http://providencebaptistcollege.com/financial-info/

Shouldn't there be a better affordable bible college that give equal share and cost while offering the lower tuition without the hefty fees?

P.S. Why charge $20 for internet protection when you can install it yourself and save the money?

IFBReformer said:
Should Providence Baptist College really should give out discount for son and daughter of Full Time Minster?

The tuition is already high, and the fee seems to sweeten the balance sheet. If it help everyone, there shouldn't be discount and everyone pay rather then non-full time worker paying for the full time worker mommy and daddy.

Shouldn't there be a better affordable bible college that give equal share and cost while offering the lower tuition without the hefty fees?

P.S. Why charge $20 for internet protection when you can install it yourself and save the money?

Many IFB colleges (and some Christian grade schools) offer a discount for students of full-time ministry workers.  Why?  Because those parents make little money to begin with.

The internet protection fee is not for your personal PC (I'm guessing) but for the service the college pays for to protect the servers that run the computer lab.

Bottom line:  Don't like the costs, go somewhere else.

IFB X-Files said:
Many IFB colleges (and some Christian grade schools) offer a discount for students of fulltime ministry workers.  Why?  Because those parents make little money to begin with.

This "discount" is quickly disappearing throughout Christian colleges. Back when "pastor" dad was the sole source of income there may have been some justification but since pastors wives are often professionals now in their own right and the family incomes are generally upper middle class, the justification for "assisting" ministry families had lost it's logic.

Go to a pastor's conference and see what kind of cars are in the parking lot. A lot nicer than any I drive.

the flip side is to attend an ifb school which gives hefty discounts to "bus kids" and none to "preacher kids."

subllibrm said:
IFB X-Files said:
Many IFB colleges (and some Christian grade schools) offer a discount for students of fulltime ministry workers.  Why?  Because those parents make little money to begin with.

This "discount" is quickly disappearing throughout Christian colleges. Back when "pastor" dad was the sole source of income there may have been some justification but since pastors wives are often professionals now in their own right and the family incomes are generally upper middle class, the justification for "assisting" ministry families had lost it's logic.

Go to a pastor's conference and see what kind of cars are in the parking lot. A lot nicer than any I drive.

Probably true to a degree, but I know many that struggle to pay the bills and drive junker cars.  They can't afford to attend said conference.

Also, giving a discount to a pastor gets the school a type of "loyalty" to that church that might bring in other students.

IFBReformer said:

A college can do as it likes; however, given Keith Gomez's multiple $50K - $80K (or higher) hunting trips, it seems hypocritical to give discounts.

But I do realize that not every pastor is that highly paid.

Why even bother going to such a place? Get a real degree and earn good money to help the poor, further the gospel on the mission field, help your church financially. .

I agree, that's why I am going to a public university, something that I can do for the Kingdom of God.

groupie said:
Why even bother going to such a place? Get a real degree and earn good money to help the poor, further the gospel on the mission field, help your church financially. .

I wasn't sure if it was me. But, you are probably right! The discount for tuition doesn't seem to be what it used to be.

It not like I am trying to take away the discounts but seems pricey still.  The cost of running Providence Baptist College have dropped lower.  Maybe someone need to break down the balance sheet with their church congregation like they did with the church balance? The foods may be delicious but seems like it lacks variety. I wouldn't blame students to go to Chipotle just to skip out on hot dog meal day.  :D

Now, my bigger question is. If Dr. Keith Gomez was the pastor of the church, why spent time away from pastoring the church just to do sale drive for the college? I often hear defensive comments from him saying that the college can't get students without him convincing churches personally himself. For some strange reason, I have an epiphany from the Bible in a scripture that was displaying the danger of neglecting the ministry (Acts 6:1 KJV) . Even if it talks about the ministry, you have to understand that it should involved with the entire church. Understanding that the widows aren't the church, in general, but by principle, it highlighted one of the key problems of megachurch or church that grew too big in today fundamental churches.

Church makes the mistake, not God. To record mistakes, it has to openly admitted in front of and among the congregation. There would have to be a clear plan of action to avoid mistakes made. The problem is history tends to repeat itself because people don't know history nor learn what mistake not to repeat. Will the church member understand their church history and not repeat it? The conscience will fall on the church members to think for themselves according to the Bible, not Pastor or minster's misplaced interpretation lest any men or women's philosophy spoils anybody according to the scripture principal (Colo 2:8 KJV) not to be mislead by private interpretation (1 Peter 1:20 KJV), to uphold the Bible laws and principals, and carry the congregational duties in power to preserve the church and offspring's future.

Update:

I thought I insert some several scripture references.

Kieth Gomez current wife was a virgin when they got married.

Is there proof or is it only an assertion without merit or basis?

IFBReformer said:
I wasn't sure if it was me. But, you are probably right! The discount for tuition doesn't seem to be what it used to be.

I don't think I like the idea of a discount - the theory is that full-time workers are underpaid - but, if the college can afford to give discounts, they really should lower the tuition for everyone, instead of giving discounts to their "buddies".

The cost of running Providence Baptist College have dropped lower.

Do you know this, or are you guessing?

Maybe someone need to break down the balance sheet with their church congregation like they did with the church balance? The foods may be delicious but seems like it lacks variety. I wouldn't blame students to go to Chipotle just to skip out on hot dog meal day.  :D

Some people don't even find hot dogs "delicious".  I think every ministry of a church should be publishing financial information.  I have found that some churches use grade school/high school/college finances to secretly 'bump' the pastor's salary -- they will explain that, as he has more responsibilities being the head of the academy/college, his pay should be higher, but then they won't publish the academy/college finances.  Such financial shenanigans bring reproach to the name of Christ.  Be honest!  Be transparent!

Now, my bigger question is. If Dr. Keith Gomez was the pastor of the church, why spent time away from pastoring the church just to do sale drive for the college?

You make a good point.

I often hear defensive comments from him saying that the college can't get students without him convincing churches personally himself.

This is just personal pride; he is (apparently) unwilling to trust God, and doesn't want "his" college to fail because it would reflect badly upon him.

For some strange reason, I have an epiphany from the Bible in a scripture that was displaying the danger of neglecting the ministry (Acts 6:1 KJV) . Even if it talks about the ministry, you have to understand that it should involved with the entire church. Understanding that the widows aren't the church, in general, but by principle, it highlighted one of the key problems of megachurch or church that grew too big in today fundamental churches.

Church makes the mistake, not God. To record mistakes, it has to openly admitted in front of and among the congregation.

Such an admission would be greatly admired -- too many pastors want to appear infallible to their church members and will not admit any mistakes (unless it is in the past) to the church they pastor.

bgwilkinson said:

He tells everyone in one of his sermons.

bgwilkinson said:

Perhaps her father provided "the tokens of the damsel's virginity" (Deut. 22:15).

Bruh said:
bgwilkinson said:

He tells everyone in one of his sermons.

Keep repeating something often enough maybe even he will believe it.

Captain DeBus said:
bgwilkinson said:

Perhaps her father provided "the tokens of the damsel's virginity" (Deut. 22:15).

Sounds very Old Testament.

I think we got the thread sidetrack.

I am not getting the damsel statement but think the whole thread covers everything. I'll be looking to open a new topic thread that would be worth discussing.