USAToday article

Mitex

Elect
Reaction score
If thou hast a Bible in the house right now and readeth it at least once a month, chances are strong it’s the majestic King James Version of the Bible in Elizabethan English, a new survey out today finds. Read more here: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-04-21-king-james-bible.htm

edited by admin: you have been asked not to copy and paste full content of articles. I have snipped this post. Next time, you will be banned.

coffeewithjesus410.jpg

I found this on the 4-21-2011 dated usa today story.

By Rhyne Piggott, USA TODAY
The first King James Bible was printed in New York in 1792.

This is of course clearly false.

Mitex said:
If thou hast a Bible in the house right now and readeth it at least once a month, chances are strong it’s the majestic King James Version of the Bible in Elizabethan English, a new survey out today finds.

Well, that's why I read my God-blessed NASB regularly. I'm not going to get on the KJV worshippers' bandwagon. Someone might see me reading my KJV and think I was one of Ruckman's drones. Gotta watch my testimony!

bgwilkinson said:
This is of course clearly false.

Might be half-true, however. No Bibles were printed in the colonies prior to the Revolutionary War, because it was illegal to print English Bibles (which is why the first Bibles printed on American soil were actually translations into Algonquin, a century earlier).

Robert Aitken started publishing the New Testament around 1781-82, but not, as far as I know, the entire Bible. It was, however, the King James Version.

When did American presses start producing a complete KJV? It would have taken a number of years, I imagine, given the state of the printing art at the time. 1792 doesn't sound implausible to me.

If the statement had read, "The first King James Bible that was printed in the United States was printed in New York in 1792" , I would have believed it.

With just a bit of digging.

First Bible printed and published in what is now the US was the Eliot Bible 1663.

See link below.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/trm036.html

In 1771 Aitken printed a NT, and in 1782 the complete Bible.

See info link below.

http://greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/colonial-bibles.html

Disclaimer. I have no interest in great site.com, however I highly recommend their magnificently done historic Bible reproductions. The red leather 1611 KJV is one of my favorites. It is a true KJVO myth corrector.

Is a half truth still the truth?

Mitex said:
If thou hast a Bible in the house right now and readeth it at least once a month, chances are strong it’s the majestic King James Version of the Bible in Elizabethan English, a new survey out today finds. Read more here: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/2011-04-21-king-james-bible.htm

edited by admin: you have been asked not to copy and paste full content of articles. I have snipped this post. Next time, you will be banned.

Dear Admin:

My sincerest apologies for violating any rules of this board. I didn't realize that copying a short article was in violation of the rules.

admin said:
Mitex said:
Now if duplicating my posts here on a blog somewhere else causes you undue stress I'll see what I can do to help you.

You are always the one being attacked and accused, aren't you?!

I have no stress. I can edit your posts and will gladly snip them if the practice continues.

Large duplications don't help your blog either. Just keep your posts concise and expand them on your blog. That is the most common sense approach.

------

Either Mitex has a very short recall or there is another pernicious problem.

I didn't realize that copying a short article was in violation of the rules.

Mitex said:
I didn't realize that copying a short article was in violation of the rules.

Most publications do not allow the copying of their articles in their entirety. "Fair Use" laws should allow some reproduction but in general its not advisable to allow such copyrighted material.  The Admin could legitimately get in trouble for allowing such content on this site.

Sound from the basement: Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham!

Mitex' mom: Mitex! Stop throwing your basketball against the wall! You'll wreck the plaster.

Pause. Then: Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham!

Mitex' mom: Mitex! What did I just say?

Mitex: I didn't realize that throwing a volleyball against the wall was in violation of the rules!

I certainly did not read the whole article...I had to clip my toe nails...but bragging about reading a particular version of the Bible, once a month, is hardly anything to brag about!

admin said:
So, Mitex... what WAS your point about posting that article?
Do you believe it? What does this mean for the rest of us? Are we to stay with our KJVs?

I gave the reason in the O.P. which you conveniently snipped along with the offensive quote.