What a joke? Forum on Bible versions, but only talking about KJV?!

Izdaari

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Seriously, what version(s) OTHER THAN King James do you like?
No, I will NOT entertain any KJVO advocacy in this thread. Any who do that will be ignored, or worse.

Izdaari said:
No, I will NOT entertain any KJVO advocacy in this thread. Any who do that will be ignored, or worse.

I like the Louis Segond (which is based on the Critical Text but used in French speaking IFB churches that are KJV only when a guest English-speaking preacher preaches with French translation) and the David Martin Bible (which is a French translation of the Geneva Bible). 

brianb said:
I like the Louis Segond (which is based on the Critical Text but used in French speaking IFB churches that are KJV only when a guest English-speaking preacher preaches with French translation) and the David Martin Bible (which is a French translation of the Geneva Bible).

LOL! I'm guessing that the sentence "Les h?r?tiques Westcott et Hort nient la Bible!" doesn't get shouted from too many French fundamentalist pulpits.

Ransom said:
brianb said:

LOL! I'm guessing that the sentence "Les h?r?tiques Westcott et Hort nient la Bible!" doesn't get shouted from too many French fundamentalist pulpits.

I think it's because Evangelical fundamentalism is still fairly new in French speaking countries and much of Quebec, Canada where Catholicism is the dominant faith.  A French Bible based on the TR used for the KJV and unlike the Geneva Bible has the same verse numbering as every other version is still a work in progress.  They have to use what is readily available and the LSG is it not just in the pulpit but in the pews.  It just helps to have unison and unlike many modern churches IFB churches still do reading in unison.  We don't just listen to the teacher and follow along with just any text - Those that read from a different version from my observation just end up closing their Bible and listening to the speaker.

I know a French-speaking Quebec Baptist pastor who endorses the Ostervald version.  I know nothing about the French Bibles so basically I am taking his word for it that the Ostervald is okay.

illinoisguy said:
I know a French-speaking Quebec Baptist pastor who endorses the Ostervald version.  I know nothing about the French Bibles so basically I am taking his word for it that the Ostervald is okay.

The Ostervald translation is a revision of John Calvin's Bible de Gen?ve, which itself is a based the Olivetan Bible. So probably generally reliable.

I remember around 20 years ago, KJV-onlyists were strongly touting the  Ostervald as the French equivalent of the KJV. Don't see that too much anymore. Maybe someone figured out that Jean-Fr?d?ric Osterwald didn't translate monogenes as the French equivalent of "only begotten," for example.

Ransom said:
illinoisguy said:

The Ostervald translation is a revision of John Calvin's Bible de Gen?ve, which itself is a based the Olivetan Bible. So probably generally reliable.

I remember around 20 years ago, KJV-onlyists were strongly touting the  Ostervald as the French equivalent of the KJV. Don't see that too much anymore. Maybe someone figured out that Jean-Fr?d?ric Osterwald didn't translate monogenes as the French equivalent of "only begotten," for example.
The Calvinist Baptists on this side of the Saint Mary use it.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

The same issues appears in french, spanish etc. By the way, we a are about 10 Indépendant Baptist churches or ministries who used the Ostervald'version in Québec Province.

I remember around 20 years ago, KJV-onlyists were strongly touting the Ostervald as the French equivalent of the KJV. Don't see that too much anymore. Maybe someone figured out that Jean-Fr?d?ric Osterwald didn't translate monogenes as the French equivalent of "only begotten," for example.
In 2018 there was an a new édition closer to the TR and closer to the KJV. This project was established from 2011 to 2018 basicly. Many co-labours collaborated together in this task. It is availlable in numéric format pdf and as a book too.

In 2018 there was an a new édition closer to the TR and closer to the KJV. This project was established from 2011 to 2018 basicly. Many co-labours collaborated together in this task. It is availlable in numéric format pdf and as a book too.

I think it's because Evangelical fundamentalism is still fairly new in French speaking countries and much of Quebec, Canada where Catholicism is the dominant faith. A French Bible based on the TR used for the KJV and unlike the Geneva Bible has the same verse numbering as every other version is still a work in progress. They have to use what is readily available and the LSG is it not just in the pulpit but in the pews. It just helps to have unison and unlike many modern churches IFB churches still do reading in unison. We don't just listen to the teacher and follow along with just any text - Those that read from a different version from my observation just end up closing their Bible and listening to the speaker.

I know a French-speaking Quebec Baptist pastor who endorses the Ostervald version. I know nothing about the French Bibles so basically I am taking his word for it that the Ostervald is okay.

The Calvinist Baptists on this side of the Saint Mary use it.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk
I don't know if you are talking of me but I'm not calviniste and neither armenian. I stand for the free-will and the work of the Holy-spirit to put a convinction in the heart by reproving according to John.16;8-11.

I don't know if you are talking of me but I'm not calviniste and neither armenian. I stand for the free-will and the work of the Holy-spirit to put a convinction in the heart by reproving according to John.16;8-11.
Yup. I just got done making comments like this. Our pastor refers to this passage frequently when he talks about the work of the Holy Spirit.

The same issues appears in french, spanish etc. By the way, we a are about 10 Indépendant Baptist churches or ministries who used the Ostervald'version in Québec Province.
do you speak both french and spanish?.... my first language was spanish.... and i learned english, japanese and hawaiian through exposure.... . but french was a language i took in highschool... and also the language i use least often..... but we do have a french bible on the shelf... the jerusalem bible in french.. .. la bible de jérusalem.. .. ... then also several spanish bibles in different versions.... and also more than one bible in the hawaiian language.... .. i don;t have a bible in japanese... but then i can;t read traditional japanese script anyway... i can only speak and understand the verbal language....

by the way... welcome to the forum.... :)

do you speak both french and spanish?.... my first language was spanish.... and i learned english, japanese and hawaiian through exposure.... . but french was a language i took in highschool... and also the language i use least often..... but we do have a french bible on the shelf... the jerusalem bible in french.. .. la bible de jérusalem.. .. ... then also several spanish bibles in different versions.... and also more than one bible in the hawaiian language.... .. i don;t have a bible in japanese... but then i can;t read traditional japanese script anyway... i can only speak and understand the verbal language....

by the way... welcome to the forum.... :)
I speak and write french, I don't speak spanish but I can read 75% of it because it is very similar to french.

I like my Complete Jewish Study Bible. It is for Messianic Hebrew Christians. If I recall correctly King James was the son of Mary Queen of Scots who was a devout Catholic?