What age did you start cooking?

Probably around age 12 or 13. My parents would go out, and I'd engage in some clandestine baking. You'd think they'd be happy to come home late and find gingerbread, but you'd be wrong.

Also do you teach your sons/daughters to be able to cook?

If I had 'em I would, yes. It's an essential skill. I prepare meals from enough cans as it is.

Aside from toasting toast, I don't cook - and never have. I guess I'm what would be called a "heater upper". I remember one time I bought a home and 9 months later I decided to sell it. I was getting it ready to show and I opened the oven and the cardboard was still in there. I had never opened the oven door.
at least it was nice and clean...;). .......i don;t remember the oven in my moms house ever being cleaned... .. but then i also don;t remember anything but chicken pot pies and tv dinners being cooked in it.... as bad as she was at least my mom kept the freezer stocked full of tv dinners because she at them too... not so much the chicken pot pies... and they were always the cheap generic brand with no bottom crust to them.... . but i still ate all of those first ..🥧... ....and i know i told about this here before ... but i cooked so many of tv dinners by myself until one day i heard the zz top song tv dinners.... and thought i had found kindred spirits.....

what i always wanted was macaroni cheese.... but only my mom and sister knew how to make that... so when my sister left i only got to eat it when my mom was sober enough to cook and felt like doing it.... . but the vast majority of those sober times she would order out or pick something up in a drive through.... .and that was usually pizza or taco bell... 🍕🌮🌮

Probably around age 12 or 13. My parents would go out, and I'd engage in some clandestine baking. You'd think they'd be happy to come home late and find gingerbread, but you'd be wrong.

If I had 'em I would, yes. It's an essential skill. I prepare meals from enough cans as it is.
wow... i think even my mom would have been happy to come home and find fresh baked ginger bread... . of course she would also suspect someone else was in the house..... ....i was in my late teens before i learned to bake... and it was making chocolate chip cookies from the ready made cookie dough in the cardboard tubes.. ...my first and only biscuits were made that way too for a very long time.....

Also do you teach your sons/daughters to be able to cook?

I start cooking after college and I'm so thankful my husband could out cook me....Today I love to cook and collect recipes...I love to cook healthly meals..I could live on salads my whole life mixed with veggies!! My husband is a meat eater :)
I started cooking at the age of four. My grandpa made me start learning how to make bacon, eggs, toast, and coffee. I'm glad he did.

I cooked up a bunch of bacon and must have been distracted because I almost burned down the house.

I can't say much about cooking because I was spoiled enough to have excellent cooks in my family. However, I learned to drive the Texas highways around age 13 or 14.

My dad was a teacher so we traveled during the summers. Saw Big Bend, Van Horn.... We usually got up early when not many people were on the road. By that time, I'd already been taught the basics. So my dad let me take the wheel. It was scary at first, but it should be when you're learning to drive.

All that to say, I'm not a very good cook, but boy can I drive the highways and byways of Texas:)

All that to say, I'm not a very good cook, but boy can I drive the highways and byways of Texas:)
Driving across Texas takes a LONG TIME!! Unless you're driving across the panhandle on I-40.

I drove the entire length of I-10 once. Got lost in San Antonio and almost ended up in Poteet. I saw the sign for "Poteet" and thought I was going to run into Sheriff Buford T. Justice!

Another time, I was driving over by Wichita Falls and a road crew was spraying tar/oil on one lane of the highway. As I drove past them, the breeze blew a fine spray all over my car. Fortunately, my car was brown so that part didn't matter but I had to spend the next half hour rubbing the stuff off of my windshield.

"Drive Friendly!"

Last edited:
  • TRUTH!
Reactions: Jo