What are your views on understanding The Trinity?

The Underground Church

Lucian Hodoboc

New member
Registered
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Most of the people I've listened to on the internet have expressed different views about The Trinity, and have tried to explain it through different analogies, but many of them eventually concluded that nobody really understands The Trinity, and that we should simply accept it even though we don't understand it. What are your views about The Trinity and do you agree with the idea that understanding it is impossible during our earthly lives?
 

Ransom

Lying dog-faced pony soldier
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
7,075
Reaction score
19
Points
38

Ransom

Lying dog-faced pony soldier
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
7,075
Reaction score
19
Points
38
Lucian Hodoboc said:
That's good, I suppose, but that's not what this thread is asking. :)
I'm pretty sure that by the ordinary rules of English, "My views on the Trinity are those of the Athanasian Creed" is a valid answer to "What are your views on the Trinity?"

Lack of clarity and/or precision on your part does not constitute a non-answer on mine. ;)
 

Lucian Hodoboc

New member
Registered
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The thread is asking what your views are on understanding The Trinity, not what your views are on The Trinity. I'm not asking whether you agree with the Athanasian definition of The Trinity. What do you think about our (humans') ability to understand / comprehend The Trinity during our earthly lives? Many people, myself included, have problems understanding how a being can be three persons who function in harmony and yet have different wills.
 

prophet

Active member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Dec 14, 2012
Messages
6,698
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Lucian Hodoboc said:
The thread is asking what your views are on understanding The Trinity, not what your views are on The Trinity. I'm not asking whether you agree with the Athanasian definition of The Trinity. What do you think about our (humans') ability to understand / comprehend The Trinity during our earthly lives? Many people, myself included, have problems understanding how a being can be three persons who function in harmony and yet have different wills.
Maybe because He has only one will?

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

 

Lucian Hodoboc

New member
Registered
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
prophet said:
Lucian Hodoboc said:
The thread is asking what your views are on understanding The Trinity, not what your views are on The Trinity. I'm not asking whether you agree with the Athanasian definition of The Trinity. What do you think about our (humans') ability to understand / comprehend The Trinity during our earthly lives? Many people, myself included, have problems understanding how a being can be three persons who function in harmony and yet have different wills.
Maybe because He has only one will?

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
But Jesus mentioned that He has come to do the Will of The Father several times and He even hints that their two wills didn't coincide in Luke 22:42...
 

prophet

Active member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Dec 14, 2012
Messages
6,698
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Lucian Hodoboc said:
prophet said:
Lucian Hodoboc said:
The thread is asking what your views are on understanding The Trinity, not what your views are on The Trinity. I'm not asking whether you agree with the Athanasian definition of The Trinity. What do you think about our (humans') ability to understand / comprehend The Trinity during our earthly lives? Many people, myself included, have problems understanding how a being can be three persons who function in harmony and yet have different wills.
Maybe because He has only one will?

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
But Jesus mentioned that He has come to do the Will of The Father several times and He even hints that their two wills didn't coincide in Luke 22:42...
If you don't see the mystery here, that Jesus could never have contradicted the Father?
That this was acted out for our observance?

Jesus spoke out loud for a reason at that moment.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

 

Lucian Hodoboc

New member
Registered
Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ok, brother. Enlighten me, by God's grace, as I do not understand why Jesus said that. :(
 

Ransom

Lying dog-faced pony soldier
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
7,075
Reaction score
19
Points
38
prophet said:
Maybe because He has only one will?
A view (monothelitism) that was unanimously rejected by the entire Western church in the seventh century, because it denies the full humanity of Christ. Orthodox Christology is dyothelitism - just as Christ is in possession of a human and divine nature (dyophysitism), he has both a human and a divine will. The two wills are not opposed to each other, but nonetheless distinct.
 

prophet

Active member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Dec 14, 2012
Messages
6,698
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Ransom said:
prophet said:
Maybe because He has only one will?
A view (monothelitism) that was unanimously rejected by the entire Western church in the seventh century, because it denies the full humanity of Christ. Orthodox Christology is dyothelitism - just as Christ is in possession of a human and divine nature (dyophysitism), he has both a human and a divine will. The two wills are not opposed to each other, but nonetheless distinct.
I reject anything from the Nicean Council until now, because RCC Theology, which damns its adherents to Hell,  was the result of the sum total of these councils.

Or, as some would say:

I'm Baptist.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

 

Ransom

Lying dog-faced pony soldier
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
7,075
Reaction score
19
Points
38
prophet said:
Or, as some would say:

I'm Baptist.
If you reject dyothelitism, you're not even a Christian, let alone a Baptist. You're a heretic.
 

prophet

Active member
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Dec 14, 2012
Messages
6,698
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Ransom said:
prophet said:
Or, as some would say:

I'm Baptist.
If you reject dyothelitism, you're not even a Christian, let alone a Baptist. You're a heretic.
I reject Roman Catholicism, and Eastern Orthodoxy.

I may agree with some points, but I'm not beholden to The Great Whore.



Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

 

Ransom

Lying dog-faced pony soldier
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Registered
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
7,075
Reaction score
19
Points
38
prophet said:
I may agree with some points, but I'm not beholden to The Great Whore.
Nope. Just another one.
 
Top