What are your views on understanding The Trinity?

Lucian Hodoboc

Elect
Reaction score
Most of the people I've listened to on the internet have expressed different views about The Trinity, and have tried to explain it through different analogies, but many of them eventually concluded that nobody really understands The Trinity, and that we should simply accept it even though we don't understand it. What are your views about The Trinity and do you agree with the idea that understanding it is impossible during our earthly lives?

Lucian Hodoboc said:
That's good, I suppose, but that's not what this thread is asking. :)

I'm pretty sure that by the ordinary rules of English, "My views on the Trinity are those of the Athanasian Creed" is a valid answer to "What are your views on the Trinity?"

Lack of clarity and/or precision on your part does not constitute a non-answer on mine. ;)

The thread is asking what your views are on understanding The Trinity, not what your views are on The Trinity. I'm not asking whether you agree with the Athanasian definition of The Trinity. What do you think about our (humans') ability to understand / comprehend The Trinity during our earthly lives? Many people, myself included, have problems understanding how a being can be three persons who function in harmony and yet have different wills.

Lucian Hodoboc said:
The thread is asking what your views are on understanding The Trinity, not what your views are on The Trinity. I'm not asking whether you agree with the Athanasian definition of The Trinity. What do you think about our (humans') ability to understand / comprehend The Trinity during our earthly lives? Many people, myself included, have problems understanding how a being can be three persons who function in harmony and yet have different wills.
Maybe because He has only one will?

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

prophet said:
Lucian Hodoboc said:

But Jesus mentioned that He has come to do the Will of The Father several times and He even hints that their two wills didn't coincide in Luke 22:42...

Lucian Hodoboc said:
prophet said:
Lucian Hodoboc said:

But Jesus mentioned that He has come to do the Will of The Father several times and He even hints that their two wills didn't coincide in Luke 22:42...
If you don't see the mystery here, that Jesus could never have contradicted the Father?
That this was acted out for our observance?

Jesus spoke out loud for a reason at that moment.

Ok, brother. Enlighten me, by God's grace, as I do not understand why Jesus said that. :(

prophet said:

A view (monothelitism) that was unanimously rejected by the entire Western church in the seventh century, because it denies the full humanity of Christ. Orthodox Christology is dyothelitism - just as Christ is in possession of a human and divine nature (dyophysitism), he has both a human and a divine will. The two wills are not opposed to each other, but nonetheless distinct.

Ransom said:
prophet said:

A view (monothelitism) that was unanimously rejected by the entire Western church in the seventh century, because it denies the full humanity of Christ. Orthodox Christology is dyothelitism - just as Christ is in possession of a human and divine nature (dyophysitism), he has both a human and a divine will. The two wills are not opposed to each other, but nonetheless distinct.
I reject anything from the Nicean Council until now, because RCC Theology, which damns its adherents to Hell,  was the result of the sum total of these councils.

Or, as some would say:

I'm Baptist.

prophet said:
Or, as some would say:

I'm Baptist.

If you reject dyothelitism, you're not even a Christian, let alone a Baptist. You're a heretic.

Ransom said:
prophet said:
Or, as some would say:

I'm Baptist.

If you reject dyothelitism, you're not even a Christian, let alone a Baptist. You're a heretic.
I reject Roman Catholicism, and Eastern Orthodoxy.

I may agree with some points, but I'm not beholden to The Great Whore.

Most of the people I've listened to on the internet have expressed different views about The Trinity, and have tried to explain it through different analogies, but many of them eventually concluded that nobody really understands The Trinity, and that we should simply accept it even though we don't understand it. What are your views about The Trinity and do you agree with the idea that understanding it is impossible during our earthly lives?
Well I am not a Bible Scholar in any sense of the word. I also know what I was taught at FBCH and I'm not sure I agree with it. I believe in the Trinity. Just like a man and woman getting married, and becoming one; I believe they are 3 separate Persons, Father, Son and Holyspirit, becoming One. So prove me wrong.

Just like a man and woman getting married, and becoming one; I believe they are 3 separate Persons, Father, Son and Holyspirit, becoming One. So prove me wrong.
What do you mean they become one? A man and a woman are two separate persons who, when they are married, form a new union that did not previously exist. Do you believe that the Trinity came into being at some point through the union of the three persons?

What do you mean they become one? A man and a woman are two separate persons who, when they are married, form a new union that did not previously exist. Do you believe that the Trinity came into being at some point through the union of the three persons?
Eph. 5:31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” I did think that the trinity came into being through the union of 3 persons. That is how I understand it. So you may show me I'm wrong, but I will not take your word for it. Bible please and no twisting scriptures.

Eph. 5:31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” I did think that the trinity came into being through the union of 3 persons. That is how I understand it. So you may show me I'm wrong, but I will not take your word for it. Bible please and no twisting scriptures.
Ephesians 5 is talking about the relationship between man and wife being modeled after Christ and the church--not the Son and the other persons of the Godhead. "I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church" (v. 32). So if you're looking for biblical evidence that the Trinity came into being at some point by the union of three divine persons, then this isn't the passage for it.

Ephesians 5 is talking about the relationship between man and wife being modeled after Christ and the church--not the Son and the other persons of the Godhead. "I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church" (v. 32). So if you're looking for biblical evidence that the Trinity came into being at some point by the union of three divine persons, then this isn't the passage for it.
I am not trying to prove my view of the trinity. I mentioned Eph. 5 because of the marriage and one flesh reference. I want you to prove your view, so I may reject it or accept it.

I am not trying to prove my view of the trinity. I mentioned Eph. 5 because of the marriage and one flesh reference. I want you to prove your view, so I may reject it or accept it.
You quoted Eph. 5:31 in response to some questions I asked you. You offered no explanation of this verse's connection to the Trinity; in fact, above you basically disclaimed it.

So I will take my questions as still unanswered: