What do you suppose is the reason?

patriotic

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Why do you think so many churches have pastoral staff sit on the platform throughout their services instead of sitting with their families?  I had never seen it in my life until I went to FBCH. I supposed there it had something to do with space issues and invitation purposes?

In my Dad's churches, the song leader always left platform after song service, and if we had a guest preacher, so did Dad. It was a nice part of having guest preacher....Dad sat with us! (And we usually had company for Sunday dinner too.) 

Could you all PLEASE TRY to he nice? I'm not looking for critical answers.

The only possible answer I can think of is that it lends prestige, authority and  leadership to the platform sitting guys. Maybe it evokes a team spirit mentality? I know that when the private schools were allegedly being threatened to be declared schools instead of ministries of the church, the principals of the schools were suddenly new platform sitting club members.

I also think it's overkill and pretty useless. There is no good reason to literally elevate those men above the rest of the congregation.

patriotic said:
Why do you think so many churches have pastoral staff sit on the platform throughout their services instead of sitting with their families?  I had never seen it in my life until I went to FBCH. I supposed there it had something to do with space issues and invitation purposes?

In my Dad's churches, the song leader always left platform after song service, and if we had a guest preacher, so did Dad. It was a nice part of having guest preacher....Dad sat with us! (And we usually had company for Sunday dinner too.) 

I being nice here - Could it be Hyles/Schaap's thug-mentality, highlighted one year in a gangster-themed Pastor School?

BTY - Leaving the platform allowing the speaker freedom is respectful gesture. I would image having someone sitting behind you could be annoying and distracting.

no value said:
I being nice here - Could it be Hyles/Schaap's thug-mentality, highlighted one year in a gangster-themed Pastor School?

BTY - Leaving the platform allowing the speaker freedom is respectful gesture. I would image having someone sitting behind you could be annoying and distracting.

tumblr_mpozu523O01qapkmyo1_500.jpg

patriotic said:

I'm taking this from a FBCH possible angle.  There were times when a staff member would make an announcement.  There were times when Dr. Hyles would make an announcement and have a possible question for a staff member.  If the staff member was on the platform it would be easier.  There were times during a message that Dr. Hyles would use a staff member in an illustration.  I think it also added a "team concept" with the staff.

It really is easier to see who is there and who is missing if they are on the platform.

If you are on the platform, you don't have to fill out the Activity Report on Monday.

I attend a mega ministry & it's never one time happened. The pastor & his staff are not the emphasis...........the Lord is.

Bro. Hyles liked to be in control. When the employees were sitting right there next to him he could keep an eye on them as well as evaluate the effect of his sermon when he was speaking, with them in mind.

Another reason is that he could be sure they would constantly be indoctrinated with his opinions.

He as much as stated this numerous times.

It was a control thing.

Several points that I think you already know.

It shows the people who the leaders are so they can find the leaders later.

Each leader has a section of the auditorium that they watch to see visitors, absences and people under conviction.

It is a promotion from the mog without any pay increase.  It is the thing we strive for: recognition.

Binaca Chugger said:

Each leader has a section of the auditorium that they watch to see visitors, absences and people under conviction.

It is a promotion from the mog without any pay increase.  It is the thing we strive for: recognition.

I still firmly believe a family ought to sit in church together as much as possible, so when there are other speakers, my heart would be warmed by seeing them step down from the platform and sit next to their wives and families. Of course this is just my opinion and my personal perspective of this somewhat new tradition.

This is just a thought, but do you think it's possible the idea was from Nehemiah?  Nehemiah 8:1-8 here's v. 4.

Nehemiah 8:4  And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam.

Just a thought.

Its rather common. I've seen it many places that had the room to do it. Its usually a sign of respect for leadership. Not that I buy into it. Just saying that is the reason they do it.

I very seriously doubt that they are following the example of Nehemiah. I have know preachers that have everyone stand during the reading of their source text based on Nehemiah but I've never heard of the example Godisgood being used. I think it is just habit and show at times. They didn't have thousands of chairs for people to sit in during Nehemiah's day. I'm sure, some of them would have sat if they could and still "hear" the message.

patriotic said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I still firmly believe a family ought to sit in church together as much as possible, so when there are other speakers, my heart would be warmed by seeing them step down from the platform and sit next to their wives and families. Of course this is just my opinion and my personal perspective of this somewhat new tradition.
I agree with you.  Just sharing what I was told in a staff meeting (well, the third reason is my own).  ^-^

Godisgood said:
This is just a thought, but do you think it's possible the idea was from Nehemiah?  Nehemiah 8:1-8 here's v. 4.

Nehemiah 8:4  And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam.

Just a thought.
But if you continue reading, those men went among the people and explained the reading.  Small group!  :eek:

Godisgood said:

Just a thought.

Hey, no one asked you to bring the Bible into this conversation! :)

patriotic said:

Hey, wait a minute, here. They did it at the Wabash Camp Meeting on Sheffey!