What is Gossip....

treasure_unseen

Elect
Reaction score
I've found that people love "gossip"... as long as its not about them....

I've made the argument for years that the Truth can NOT be classified as "gossip". Most people just get mad when someone tells the truth about them. That isn't gossip.....

Some guy with the initials Jack Hyles oft said, "I don't gossip, it's the people I tell who gossip."

Some guy with the initials Jack Hyles oft said, "I don't gossip, it's the people I tell who gossip."

Think that's the majority of IFB preachers. So would Tony Hutson slamming non IFB churches for being carnal entertainment be considered gossip?

Last edited:
Think that's the majority of IFB preachers. So would Tony Hutson slamming non IFB churches for being carnal entertainment be considered gossip?

We know they can say whatever they want to say about anyone and its magically... "not gossip"....

Same ole same ole.... of "do as I say and not as I do".....

Sorta like how Jack Hyles hated PCC and claimed they were too liberal.

An oddity here is that the word "gossip" does not appear in Scripture. Some modern translations will use the word "gossip" to replace a more accurate word.

In actual practice, "gossip" often refers to discussing problems without permission from the leaders.

An oddity here is that the word "gossip" does not appear in Scripture. Some modern translations will use the word "gossip" to replace a more accurate word.

In actual practice, "gossip" often refers to discussing problems without permission from the leaders.

The word gossip occurs 4 times in the ESV and 6 times in the NIV. Here are the ESV renderings:

1. Ezekiel 36:3
therefore prophesy, and say, Thus says the Lord God: Precisely because they made you desolate and crushed you from all sides, so that you became the possession of the rest of the nations, and you became the talk and evil gossip of the people,

1. Romans 1:29
They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips,

For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish—that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder.

1. 1 Timothy 5:13
Besides that, they learn to be idlers, going about from house to house, and not only idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying what they should not.

The word gossip occurs 4 times in the ESV and 6 times in the NIV. Here are the ESV renderings:

1. Ezekiel 36:3
therefore prophesy, and say, Thus says the Lord God: Precisely because they made you desolate and crushed you from all sides, so that you became the possession of the rest of the nations, and you became the talk and evil gossip of the people,

1. Romans 1:29
They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips,

For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish—that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder.

1. 1 Timothy 5:13
Besides that, they learn to be idlers, going about from house to house, and not only idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying what they should not.

Every one of these references deals with lies. Not the Truth. An absolute defense to gossip is answered by the question...... "is it true"?

The word translated "gossip" in 2 Cor. 12:20 means to spread damaging information about someone in a low voice or whipser, the implication being that it should be kept secret. Another form of that word is used in Rom. 1:29 to describe the person engaged in such talk.

Derogatory information about a person spread in hushed tones? In other words--gossip.

kjvo............................... no that is heresy, wrong sin. :)

No, that's an absolute defense to slander.

Gossip may well be true. Its defining characteristic is that it's derogatory.
What if I pose the gossip as a prayer request can I justify it then?

No, that's an absolute defense to slander.

Gossip may well be true. Its defining characteristic is that it's derogatory.

You admit that slander and gossip can both have the same quality of being true. If Gossip is a lie, it is slander. If Gossip is true it certainly isn't Gossip. Thanks for making the case. Slander is a type of Gossip.

I reject the silly notion that Gossip is always derogatory.

I heard that you're Canadian. That means different things to different people. It might fit your definition to some while others may consider it a blessing.

You admit that slander and gossip can both have the same quality of being true.

Sure, except for two things:

1) I didn't say slander could be true;
2) I didn't say slander and gossip share the quality of being true.

And since you managed two lies in the very first sentence, you essentially wasted your time on the rest of your post which I was not inclined to continue reading.

I'm beginning to wonder whether banning UGC was such a great idea. I should lift his ban, toss the two of you into a forum of your own, and let you bat each other to death with straw men.

Sure, except for two things:

1) I didn't say slander could be true;
2) I didn't say slander and gossip share the quality of being true.

And since you managed two lies in the very first sentence, you essentially wasted your time on the rest of your post which I was not inclined to continue reading.

I'm beginning to wonder whether banning UGC was such a great idea. I should lift his ban, toss the two of you into a forum of your own, and let you bat each other to death with straw men.

My mistake in the first line. You don't want to talk about the rest because you're wrong. I qualified what I said in the following sentence.

I admit I was wrong. The last time you ever, somewhat admit you were wrong, you simply used the old.... "you know what I meant" defense.

Why threaten me with confining me with UGC in my own forum? You ready to do what you did last time you banned me from the forum?

Last edited:
My mistake in the first line. You don't want to talk about the rest because you're wrong.
What rest? As I said, I didn't waste my time after the first two lies. At that point, I no longer cared about your opinon.

Why threaten me with confining me with UGC in my own forum?

LOL! You scared?