What Religion Was Saint Augustine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince Massi

Elect
Reaction score
A noted (but not great) Manichean philosopher who was thoroughly in the grip of sexual sin, Augustine was forced to convert to Catholicism under threat of the death penalty. He regarded Christianity as an inferior religion that needed to be blended with pagan religions to form a new and better religion. He didn't like Catholicism either, because it was too Christian.

Still, Catholicism did blend "the best" of Christianity with the best of paganism. And like Mani's religion, its strong priesthood could authorize the rejection of God's Word, as well as control salvation. And besides, being a live Catholic is better than being a dead Manichean.

So he converted to a religion he didn't believe in in order to save his life. Following standard operating procedure, the Catholic Church later issued a fairy tale about his conversion.

Folks, I have known for decades that Saint Augustine's conversion to Catholicism (he never converted to Christianity) was fake. But I hadn't known that he said so himself. This Christian site explains from Augustine's own words that he never believed that he was converting to Catholicism.

https://crosstheology.wordpress.com/augustines-conversion-exposed/

Vince. This site is not your blog. Next time I'm just going to delete your thread outright.

Vince has openly defied my request that he stop creating new threads unless and until he is willing to participate in discussions in the threads he has already created.

Therefore, Vince is no longer able to create new threads, and sadly, he can only monologue in existing ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.