What Would You Do? Weird Name Edition.

subllibrm

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
So you are going through the visitor cards from Sunday (sorry PY) and a young lady would like you to mail some additional church information to her. She gives her name and address but you realize that you are seriously uncomfortable addressing the envelope.

Poopnoggin Smith
4321 Honesty Lane
Washington DC 12345

Would you edit her name?
If you called her on the phone how would you address her?

Before I get accused of trolling ( ... 1 ... 2 ...3 ...) let me point out that my post on the other thread was intended to make these points. What is the proper response? One of the aforementioned young ladies was arrested. She had ID. She was fingerprinted. I assume that the legal files and court records all spelled her name correctly. Would the local papers refer to her as "(expletive deleted) Jones"? Would the paper be responsible for any offense caused by printing her name? Those were the fallout examples on my mind when I posted that original "random thought". At least two young women are out there in the world with an name that can't be said on TV or the radio.

So anyway, when she is done doing her time, gets saved and wants to join your church, would you require her to change her name? How would information about her upcoming nuptials be printed in the church bulletin? If we need to be prepared for the gay married couples walking through the church door ...

Okay, so this last paragraph is trolling a little. :)

aleshanee said:
subllibrm said:
So you are going through the visitor cards from Sunday (sorry PY) and a young lady would like you to mail some additional church information to her. She gives her name and address but you realize that you are seriously uncomfortable addressing the envelope.

Poopnoggin Smith
4321 Honesty Lane
Washington DC 12345

Would you edit her name?

if she is married?......... mrs smith.....

if she is single?....... miss smith...

if you don;t know.... mz smith..... .. she will correct you if you didn;t get it right.......  ;)

Before I get accused of trolling ( ... 1 ... 2 ...3 ...) let me point out that my post on the other thread was intended to make these points. What is the proper response? One of the aforementioned young ladies was arrested. She had ID. She was fingerprinted. I assume that the legal files and court records all spelled her name correctly. Would the local papers refer to her as "(expletive deleted) Jones"? Would the paper be responsible for any offense caused by printing her name? Those were the fallout examples on my mind when I posted that original "random thought". At least two young women are out there in the world with an name that can't be said on TV or the radio.

So anyway, when she is done doing her time, gets saved and wants to join your church, would you require her to change her name? How would information about her upcoming nuptials be printed in the church bulletin? If we need to be prepared for the gay married couples walking through the church door ...

if she is foreign and that name is pronounced same as the obscenity.... i would have talk with her and explain the difficulty she and everyone else is going to face whenever her name is announced.....  if she has a good attitude about it she might be able to offer an acceptable alternative.....

but if she chose that name for herself as some kind of prank or to intentionally be obscene..... when she gets saved she should want to change that name herself........ and even if she had american parents who intentionally named her with something obscene she should still want to change it...... ............just my opinions..... .. but if i had a name like that i would certainly want to change mine........ it;s one of the few things given to us by our parents at birth we can actually do something about if we want to. ........... the rest of it......  not so easy.......

I can't speak to the one who was arrested.  Just know it happened in a southern Michigan county.

Regarding the students, when the first student with that name was assigned to my friend's class, she asked her how to pronounce it. Of course all of the kids giggled but by running it all together the phonetics can be arranged to pronounce it differently than it looks. FWIW one of the girls went by Shay for common use. BTW it was the parents who made the decision. Legal birth name. In the public record.

I do wonder if the graduation sheet had it spelled phonetically for the person reading the names. They do that for the news readers for foreign names.  :)

Makes me glad I have a nice normal name like Izdaari Eristikon. :p

The first name is actually pronounced Iz-DAHR-ee. It's Swahili. But I just tell everybody to call me Izzy.

subllibrm said:
aleshanee said:
subllibrm said:

Poopnoggin Smith
4321 Honesty Lane
Washington DC 12345

Would you edit her name?

if she is married?......... mrs smith.....

if she is single?....... miss smith...

if you don;t know.... mz smith..... .. she will correct you if you didn;t get it right.......  ;)

if she is foreign and that name is pronounced same as the obscenity.... i would have talk with her and explain the difficulty she and everyone else is going to face whenever her name is announced.....  if she has a good attitude about it she might be able to offer an acceptable alternative.....

but if she chose that name for herself as some kind of prank or to intentionally be obscene..... when she gets saved she should want to change that name herself........ and even if she had american parents who intentionally named her with something obscene she should still want to change it...... ............just my opinions..... .. but if i had a name like that i would certainly want to change mine........ it;s one of the few things given to us by our parents at birth we can actually do something about if we want to. ........... the rest of it......  not so easy.......

I can't speak to the one who was arrested.  Just know it happened in a southern Michigan county.

Regarding the students, when the first student with that name was assigned to my friend's class, she asked her how to pronounce it. Of course all of the kids giggled but by running it all together the phonetics can be arranged to pronounce it differently than it looks. FWIW one of the girls went by Shay for common use. BTW it was the parents who made the decision. Legal birth name. In the public record.

I do wonder if the graduation sheet had it spelled phonetically for the person reading the names. They do that for the news readers for foreign names.  :)

I taught in the Godless Public School system for about a decade.  In that time, I ran across three names that really gave me pause, one because the phonetic spelling, well...and the other two need little explanation.

Diaria.  Think about it.

It was pronounced DEE-ara.  I asked her how she pronounced it when I was calling roll the first time because I just wasn't going to go with what I thought it would be.

Then there was a young fellow named Excedrine.  Yup, like the pain reliever.

The third was given the handle of Sirlothario.  Went by "Sir" for short.  Naturally, he was one of the biggest troublemakers in the class and it absolutely galled me to call that little brat "Sir".

FSSL said:
Pronounce it Shith Ead. ;)

Shuh Thay Ed was the correct pronunciation in all three cases.

But that still doesn't help the church secretary typing out the bulletin.

I have no idea what drives parents to do this.  :-\

My wife did birth certificates for Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital... She has some stories.