What's the Purpose...

abcaines

Staff member
Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Of seating on the platform behind the pulpit?

Granted, I don't see it much anymore, but it was very common in the Baptist churches, particularly at the Campus Church at PCC. The big wigs, (Arlin Horton, A.A. Baker,) sat in the seats behind and to the side of Pastor Bob or whoever was preaching. Looking at current videos of their services, or the services of other churches I attended back then, they don't see that anymore. I'm just wondering if someone can shed light on that...

In our case it is pragmatic in nature, for those who will be assisting in the preliminaries (to the sermon). On a more ideological scale, it can be seen as a supportive extension of the ministry of the word (ie, "lifting up Moses arms").

I think it has something to do with the pastoral staff being "Overseers" or something to that effect. You can see what is going on in the congregation, the countenance on people's faces, and so forth.

I am not a big fan of it personally.

Partly pragmatic, party traditional.

Traditional because in classical church architecture, there's an area behind the altar called the quire that was for seating the clergy. It also symbolized (and party still does, as BR suggested) that these are the people "in charge."

Pragmatic, because it provides seating close to the pulpit for the minister, so he can sit close when he's not standing and speaking.

It seems to me that as evangelical churches get farther away from that clergy/laity distinction, the seating on the bema has all but disappeared. At my church, the pastors and musicians taking an active part in the service just sit in the front row. The bema is close by and only raised by two steps.

At Lighthouse Baptist Church in San Diego (circa 1980s), no one sat on the platform unless it was a special service and the auditorium was packed. The Choir then remained seated in their place on the platform. Doug Fisher never sat on the platform, not something he was big on. The song leader might sit on the platform during the announcements but that was about it.

At Lancaster Baptist Church, Paul Chappell always had a large "entourage" coming down the steps with him (exactly as I saw Jack Trieber in his church - Chappell was on staff there before taking LBC). All of the pastoral staff sat on the platform during the preaching. This was in the 90s/early 2000s. I have seen some of his services on YouTube and it seems like it may be something he either no longer does or maybe it is just Paul Chappell who is seated if someone else is preaching? Or perhaps it is because the camera is closely cropped on the pulpit area?

I am guessing this was more of an IFB thing? I never attended any of those "lib'rul" Southern Baptist Churches back then so I do not know what they did.

I am guessing this was more of an IFB thing? I never attended any of those "lib'rul" Southern Baptist Churches back then so I do not know what they did.
The only SBC church I was ever a member of was Bellevue Baptist and I don't remember them doing that. I became familiar with the practice at Campus Church. I had seen it at other churches and thought it was normal practice until I moved to California.

The only SBC church I was ever a member of was Bellevue Baptist and I don't remember them doing that. I became familiar with the practice at Campus Church. I had seen it at other churches and thought it was normal practice until I moved to California.
The main place I saw it was in all of the "Hyles Style" IFB churches that have a large pastoral staff. I also saw a little of this with some of the "Campmeeting Crowd" churches of which Jack Wood (Shady Acres Baptist, Houston, TX) was a key player. I tried to mimick both crowds wearing nice "Preecher" suits with bold "Power Ties" and wearing my Tony Lama cowboy boots along with my big "AV-1611" belt buckle! If you ever saw me, you may have even mistaken me for the grate Dr. Phil Armenik!:ROFLMAO:

As I said, I think perhaps even Paul Chappell has stepped away from this somewhat although I guess I would have to attend his services in person to truly know and if I were in the area for whatever reason, there are many other places I would rather be! Perhaps there is someone here who has been there recently who could give us a report?

Last edited: