Where Did The Old Testament Saints Go After They Died?

Jrock

Elect
Reaction score
Where Did The Old Testament Go After They Died? Did they go to Sheol (Hades) or to heaven?

Jrock said:
Where Did The Old Testament Go After They Died? Did they go to Sheol (Hades) or to heaven?

Abraham's bosom  (under your feet)

So what about Enoch and Elijah? Did they ascend into heaven?

Jrock said:
So what about Enoch and Elijah? Did they ascend into heaven?

The Bible is silent.  Both were taken alive.  Elijah will return to die.  Enoch is a type of the believer alive at the rapture who will never taste death.

My assumption would be they went to Abe's place as well, awaiting their redemption.  Of course, they're not there now.

So when did the saints get out of Abraham's bosom?

Jrock said:

OK, I don't know the reason for your questions, but may I kindly suggest you ask your pastor.

This is a doctrinal forum on "Bible interpretation". Asking Bible questions is appropiate.

The Bible is silent. Both were taken alive. Elijah will return to die. Enoch is a type of the believer alive at the rapture who will never taste death.

My assumption would be they went to Abe's place as well, awaiting their redemption. Of course, they're not there now.
@Jrock

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

I believe Enoch and Elijah are the two witnesses for the first half of the great tribulation before they get killed, resurrected, and called up to Heaven as a special midway rapture event for those 2 ( Revelation 11:1-13 KJV ) Just as philip was transported by one place to another place by the Spirit, so I believe those two are being transported through time and place.

Acts 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.

As for Abraham's bosom which is also known as Paradise, after His ascension, it is now located in Heaven per Paul's indirect testimony of the apostle John's visit to Paradise in the third heavens for him to receive His words for the Book of Revelation.

2 Corinthians 12:1It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. 2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven. 3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) 4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

@Twisted

Biblically, they are still in Aberaham's bosom which is also known as Paradise, but is now in Heaven since His ascension in bringing the captivity captive to God, but they are still awaiting for the first fruits of the resurrection at the pre great tribulation rapture event for when they and the abiding disciples of Jesus Christ inherit that City of God to live in their respective "mansions".

Hebrews 11:8-16 KJV <--- at this link is the scripture for how the O.T. saints are waiting to inherit their place in the City of God as we are by His grace & by His help as abiding disciples of Jesus Christ for that mansion in that House of God. John 14:1-3 KJV

We follow what Jesus said to the thief on the cross that he would meet Him that day in Paradise. Luke 23:42-43 KJV

Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. 9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

Is this a serious question, a loaded question, a leading question, or one designed to show your great wisdom on the essence of the position you take?

They didn't go anywhere. They "slept with the fathers".

They went to be with the Lord.

Eternity is impossible to conceptualize, but one thing that is critical that we don't allow ourselves to do is to think of it as an infinite time line that, from any given point, extends forever into the past and then into the future. Etenity is infinte, no doubt, but it is not linear. There is no time in eternity. And it is nothing like we experience in the earth.

I've found the references that some ministers make to 'eternity past' to be quite absurd, thinking that at some point on this infinite 'time line' God decides to create other beings, when He was getting along just swimmingly for an eternity 'prior,' without them, and then has nothing but trouble from His creations, but fixes things up for a better 'future.'

No, the wisdom of God is unsearchable. This earth was created for the Cross, and the work that would be done upon it, and for the Name Christ merited in accomplishing that work. Though we can speak of a time before Christ, and of a time that He died, and of a time that He is returning, He is the lamb slain before the foundation of the world.