Where do you shop for your Sunday dresses?

Sherryh

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I'm talking to several Pastor's wives who order their clothes from different places...........but I've never had any luck with clothes looking good on me. I can dress other people great but I hate clothes shopping for myself.I'm also talking about skirts and nice tops. I love thrift/consignment shops ...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher & Banks
Dress Barn
Macy's
Dillards

I seldom find anything at thrift shops that fits me, so - as bad as this sounds - I just don't go to them anymore.  They are also so jam-packed, that it just seems to take forever to even see a handful of items.  My time is worth more than spending a little extra money. 

I also find some rather good deals.  Yesterday, I bought 2 new brand skirts for $11 each at Dress Barn.  I was in and out of the store in less than 10 minutes. 

I can't help much with this one. For church, this time of year when it's usually too cold for shorts and sandals, I typically wear jeans, running shoes, a casual top and a light hoodie jacket.

patriotic said:
Christopher & Banks
Dress Barn
Macy's
Dillards

I seldom find anything at thrift shops that fits me, so - as bad as this sounds - I just don't go to them anymore.  They are also so jam-packed, that it just seems to take forever to even see a handful of items.  My time is worth more than spending a little extra money. 

I also find some rather good deals.  Yesterday, I bought 2 new brand skirts for $11 each at Dress Barn.  I was in and out of the store in less than 10 minutes.

You're correct on finding things in thrift stores...........

aleshanee said:
it use to be liberty house.. .the first and oldest department store in hawaii....  but then they got bought out by macys...  and then nordstrom opened a store here.. . . so now it;s both macys and nordstrom.. :) ... but the last couple of times i bought a nice dress i shopped in both places and ended up at nordstrom ...... they opened a neiman marcus here too a few years ago... . but it;s strictly a walk through only store for me....  but i did buy a can of chocolate covered potato chips there once... . a very expensive can of chocolate covered potato chips... :eek:

I've been to Macy's there (probably not the exact one you're talking about) and I, too, walked through Nieman Marcus, keeping a safe distance from anything that looked like it might be breakable.  Isn't that the place that has a guard standing at the door? 

Kohl's is popular with many of the ladies around here.

We shop Goodwill and other similar stores ...

aleshanee said:
Timothy said:

do you actually go shopping for dresses with your wife?....  ??? ...  don;t get me wrong.. i think that;s awesome.. ....  i can;t get my dad to go shopping with me for things like that, even when it;s his own money i;m spending. .. :-\ . ...  i always ask him to take me ... or all of us if my room mates are going.. ..  .  but then when he finds out where i;m going he drops us off at the mall, gives me a kiss on the forehead and says .. "have fun"... ...  8)  ... ..  and we do....  ;D

My husband goes with me to shop for the majority of my clothing.  I buy very few items without his giving his opinion on them first. This is by my choice, not because he "demands" it.  We just like being together, and we value each other's thoughts and opinions.

Timothy, your opinion was a good one :)

I took my mom to Goodwill in Wellington and we found a top and a pair of Tommy Bahama shorts for my husband.It takes time to look and find treasures in the thrift stores.

aleshanee said:
Timothy said:

do you actually go shopping for dresses with your wife?....  ??? ...  don;t get me wrong.. i think that;s awesome.. ....  i can;t get my dad to go shopping with me for things like that, even when it;s his own money i;m spending. .. :-\ . ...  i always ask him to take me ... or all of us if my room mates are going.. ..  .  but then when he finds out where i;m going he drops us off at the mall, gives me a kiss on the forehead and says .. "have fun"... ...  8)  ... ..  and we do....  ;D

Yes - as a general rule I purchase her clothing. Sometimes she will go shopping for herself, but she says I do a better job. I can even purchase jeans that fit her just right .....

Both my husband and my dad were wonderful to shop with.  My birthday was always quite the event!  We'd make a day of it.  They would pick out things and bring them to the fitting room for me to try.  Hours could go by, but they didn't care one bit.  They truly enjoyed the hunt for just the perfect outfit to buy for me.

But my husband, now he was the true master of gift-giving!  He took great delight in finding just the right thing for each person.  I used to marvel at him at Christmas.  I just tagged along while he found the perfect gift for each person on our list.  He had exquisite taste.

Now that they are both gone, I do most of my shopping on line.  Going into the stores just doesn't hold the same appeal...

I like some of the stores mentioned thus far, plus some regional ones like Belk and Elder Beerman (Bon Ton).  I really like Coldwater Creek, too.

When we lived Palm Beach, I used to always take my wife shopping at several places listed below.  Bargains on high end clothes, purses and other items that are in mint / like new condition are found at many consignment shops. Of course I know that many of you do not live close to this area, but if you are in the Palm Beach area, I would recommend spending a day shopping at any of these places. Men, your wives will enjoy being taken shopping at any of these places.

This is a fraction of what is located there. Google can help you locate some awesome shops in PBG.

Consigned Couture
932 Northlake Blvd,
North Palm Beach,
FL 33408

A Star's Closet
http://astarscloset.com
75 E. Indiantown Rd. #503
Jupiter, FL 33477

Classic Collections
https://www.facebook.com/ClassicCollectionsofPalmBeach?filter=3

City Girl Consignment
http://www.facebook.com/pages/City-Girl-Consignment/235973199866

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cassie-and-James-Boutique/112251375462082?fref=ts

For new items, I recommend the following -

The Gardens Mall
3101 PGA Blvd.,
Palm Beach Gardens,
FL, 33410
http://www.thegardensmall.com/

Sawgrass Mills Mall
12801 W. Sunrise Blvd.
Sunrise, Florida 33323
http://www.facebook.com/SawgrassMills

http://www.miznerpark.com
327 Plaza Real Suite #315
Boca Raton, Florida 33432

Sorry, I just realized this is the ladies forum. Sorry for intruding!

Let me exit with this link for high end furniture at low end costs, go here -

Decor Once More
6758 N. Military Trail Suite#206,
West Palm Beach,
FL.
http://www.facebook.com/decoroncemore?fref=ts

A Star's Closet in Jupiter must be a small shop-I have never seen it or heard of it. There are a number consignment shops here in Jupiter and Tequesta.

Steinmart is a good place to shop as well as Catos. Once in awhile Bealls will have good deals and then of course there is Kohls.

I do all the shopping for birthdays, Christmas and just to buy. My boys don't mind what I pick out for them, but usually if I find something in a store I will take a picture of it and text it to them to get their approval, I don't like wasting money. My girls now have good jobs, so I usually don't buy them clothes, I just give them gift cards for special occasions.

I also either shop by myself or with my girls-I have my entire marriage!!

groupie, pm who you are...............LOL! I've been to those shops LOL!

kaba, everytime I pass Cato's in Belle Glade I think of you..... :)

They have one in Clewiston also it's right next to Save Lots which is not a save lots place to shop............... :(

Just wondering Sherry, have you ever eaten lunch at the Waterway Cafe? It is not to relax, eat and sit next to the inter-coastal an watch the watercraft go by.

groupie, we have eaten there years ago..........our favorite place to eat is on Singer Island at Sailfish Marina..we love to watch people and the boats sail by..

We looked at seem condos on Singer Island but none of the ones we liked allowed dogs. And if they did, the dogs had a weight limit that put them into a miniature size classification. Our lab would never have been allowed!

I have never been to the Sailfish Marina. I guess the Waterway Cafe does not qualify for inter-coastal and scenic compared to some photos I just saw of the Sailfish!

The condos on the island were nice the only problem when a hurricane is coming you have to leave the island .............my doberman would never have passed the test she is 80 lbs........the high tide on the last hurricane almost flooded Sailfish Marina ...........