Who Does/Should A Pastor Answer To?

I

I Know

According to the Scripture, who does/should a pastor answer to?  Scripture and explanation, please.

I Know said:
According to the Scripture, who does/should a pastor answer to?  Scripture and explanation, please.

Well OBC & WHBC teach he does not have to answer to anybody but God.  Not the deacon board.  Not his staff. Not the congragation. Not his wife.  Not his children.  Not other pastors. Not anyone here on eath, period. 

And any of the above mentioned better not question the pastors decision either in private to him or in public.

Oh wait you said give Scripture. 

Nevermind

1Ti 5:19  Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.
1Ti 5:20  Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.

The deacons as elected representatives of the congregation should conduct the investigation when two witness come forward. 

The deacons could then take the matter to the congregation and the elder should be rebucked and probably fired.

Problem in most instances the rebuke is not public or not at all, so no one ends up fearing.

I admire how FBC handled jack schaap.  That is not the way it's usually done in fundy church. 

Tanner said:
I admire how FBC handled jack schaap.  That is not the way it's usually done in fundy church.

In Schaap's instance, they did well.  But Jack Hyles used this as a crutch......1Ti 5:19  Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.

Most sin includes two, and a 2nd witness is never to be heard or seen, so the cover-ups of sin were many at FBC and HAC in the 70's, 80's and 90's.  This is where the Vineyard's would've learned the art of cover-up and the ease of doing so without compromising scripture. 

I Know said:
1. There is no such thing, in Scripture, as the 'a pastor' that most of "Christianity" has devolved into practicing.

2. The public speakers answer to every other qualified Bible Teacher(prophet) who is present:

1Co 14:29-33
29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

3.the Elders, and Bishops and Deacons in a church all answer to each other.

1Ti 5:17-21
17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.
19 Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.

20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.

21 I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality.

Notice that elders are to be publicly rebuked for sin (v20), and that no single elder is above the others (v21).

1Pe 5:1-5
Chapter 5
1 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:
2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.
4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility:for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

All elders are to submit to each other...checks and balances of Government were invented by God, for the Church, and copied by the Founding Fathers of the U.S.( from local Baptists).

I Know said:

What do you mean by "answer to"?

Christians shall all give an answer for themselves at the judgement, so in one sense, the pastor answers to God.  Ultimately, we answer to Him for what we do.

If you are talking about ministry-disqualifying items, the pastor in answerable to the church.

Walt said:
I Know said:

Christians shall all give an answer for themselves at the judgement, so in one sense, the pastor answers to God.  Ultimately, we answer to Him for what we do.

If you are talking about ministry-disqualifying items, the pastor in answerable to the church.
"The pastor"  Lol.  No wonder you can't give Scripture...

prophet said:
Walt said:
I Know said:

"Pastor" is a well-known position; this isn't about bandying words - the question appeared to be who the person who holds that position is accountable to.  Whether you chose to call that person and elder or a bishop or pastor, all words are used in Scripture.

I didn't give Scripture for the very elementary points I was making, since I assume most people are aware the Scriptures that say we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ.

Ditto for the teaching that members of a church are responsible to each other.

Walt said:
prophet said:
Walt said:
I Know said:

"Pastor" is a well-known position; this isn't about bandying words - the question appeared to be who the person who holds that position is accountable to.  Whether you chose to call that person and elder or a bishop or pastor, all words are used in Scripture.

I didn't give Scripture for the very elementary points I was making, since I assume most people are aware the Scriptures that say we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ.

Ditto for the teaching that members of a church are responsible to each other.
She asked for help from Scripture, not "well-known" tradition.

There is no "the person", which is the problem.

tobytyler said:
Tanner said:

In Schaap's instance, they did well.  But Jack Hyles used this as a crutch......1Ti 5:19  Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.

Most sin includes two, and a 2nd witness is never to be heard or seen, so the cover-ups of sin were many at FBC and HAC in the 70's, 80's and 90's.  This is where the Vineyard's would've learned the art of cover-up and the ease of doing so without compromising scripture.

Bro. Hyles was a master at cherry picking verses to support his philosophies. He came up with many teachings that came as a complete surprise to the LORD.

He was equally adept at ignoring the verses that cut against his philosophies.