Why no special speakers?

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Every church that I have been a part of since I came to know the Lord as a child has had special speakers for services.  It may have been an evangelist, missionary, preacher, etc.  The only exception to this was FBCH.  I can only think of once or twice during my time at HAC that Dr. Hyles did not teach/preach behind the pulpit at FBCH. 

I know that there were special speakers for the different national conferences.  I am not referring to these.  I am talking about the normal Sunday and Wednesday services.  Here are the questions for this thread - Why did Dr. Hyles not give up his pulpit more often?  What think ye, Hacker Nation?

While this may seem prideful, it could be a possibility.  A lot of visitors came to hear Jack Hyles preach.  I'm sure you have had this happen to you.  You are on vacation and you stop by a certain church to hear the pastor preach and you find out he is on vacation.  It is a bit disappointing.  Just a thought!

For a long time when I was there, Bro. Hyles would talk about how important it was that he would be there on Sunday and Wednesday to speak. I can only recall maybe once or twice when he missed, think he was ill one Sunday and had a cancelled flight coming back from preaching out if town. 

It wasn't until the latter years that he would miss a service for vacation (cruise or Hawaii) when he and the Mrs would be gone for a week or so.

I believe this topic has been raised before.

Personally, I believe it was by design and due to his controlling nature.

Prett much the same reason many pastors have pastor friends preach for them instead of having an evangelist.

When I was there JH made the statement along the line of, "Not even the President of the United States could fill that auditorium every week so I need to be here."

Reminds me of the old quote....

If you think you are indispensable, stick your finger in a bucket of water and then pull it out. If you left a hole then you're indispensable, otherwise you are not.

fishinnut said:
When I was there JH made the statement along the line of, "Not even the President of the United States could fill that auditorium every week so I need to be here."

If you think you are indispensable, stick your finger in a bucket of water and then pull it out. I you left a hole then your indispensable, otherwise you are not.

Well... he was right :)

WESLEY said:
fishinnut said:

If you think you are indispensable, stick your finger in a bucket of water and then pull it out. I you left a hole then your indispensable, otherwise you are not.

I corrected my typos. If filling the building is the goal.....

fishinnut said:
WESLEY said:
fishinnut said:

I corrected my typos. If filling the building is the goal.....

And with him, it was always about the numbers.

He obsessed over the great numbers at each of "his" churches.

He never got tired of recounting the great crowds he had.

Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 times that a guest speaker preached and both were on Sunday nights. One was a KJV only speaker - don?t remember his name - but that was the first time I heard the phrase ?Devil?s Bibles? used. The other was R.G. Lee preaching his famous Payday Someday sermon. There may have also been a time when John R. Rice and Lester Roloff spoke but I really can?t remember.

I know that wasn?t the gist of the question.

Norefund said:
Off the top of my head I can only think of 2 times that a guest speaker preached and both were on Sunday nights. One was a KJV only speaker - don?t remember his name - but that was the first time I heard the phrase ?Devil?s Bibles? used. The other was R.G. Lee preaching his famous Payday Someday sermon. There may have also been a time when John R. Rice and Lester Roloff spoke but I really can?t remember.

TBH, I think most of the members would rather hear Dr.  Hyles than a guest speaker.... He was hard to compare to :)

WESLEY said:
Norefund said:

TBH, I think most of the members would rather hear Dr.  Hyles than a guest speaker.... He was hard to compare to :)
I don't ever remember a guest speaker while I was there from 90 - 93...
But you are right about Bro. Hyles.  We all loved to hear him preach the most.
However, over the years, I have come to really appreciate some other great preachers.
Not sure why he didn't have guest speakers, might have something to do with "The Battle".  Maybe Bro. Hyles wasn't sure who would 'switch sides' the very next week and start attacking him.  I suspect that was the reason that towards the end of my tenure at HAC that we very rarely had guest speakers even in chapel.

As a Pastor, I very rarely have a guest speaker.

I take 2 Sunday's off per year for vacation (just upped that to 3 for 2018) and I have someone fill in.  We have a guest speaker annually for our Homecoming Sunday.  I may have a missionary preach on a Sunday night once or twice per year.  We usually get an HAC tour group on a weekday and let the tour preacher have the pulpit, but on the rare occasion that they come on a Sunday Morning, I still preach.

Perhaps the main reason is that I feel obligated to deliver 3 messages per week to my church.  Since they pay me, I feel bad taking money and not preaching to them. 

I don't "guard" the pulpit out of pride.  I encourage them to listen to other preachers.  I purposefully don't teach Sunday School to ensure that they are influenced by other members, not just me.  I never tell our Sunday School teachers what to teach nor do I sit in their classes to make sure they "stay in line."

Still....I am very protective of our Church's message and culture.  I think Dr. Hyles was a well.

cpizzle said:

I take 2 Sunday's off per year for vacation (just upped that to 3 for 2018) and I have someone fill in.  We have a guest speaker annually for our Homecoming Sunday.  I may have a missionary preach on a Sunday night once or twice per year.  We usually get an HAC tour group on a weekday and let the tour preacher have the pulpit, but on the rare occasion that they come on a Sunday Morning, I still preach.

Perhaps the main reason is that I feel obligated to deliver 3 messages per week to my church.  Since they pay me, I feel bad taking money and not preaching to them. 

I don't "guard" the pulpit out of pride.  I encourage them to listen to other preachers.  I purposefully don't teach Sunday School to ensure that they are influenced by other members, not just me.  I never tell our Sunday School teachers what to teach nor do I sit in their classes to make sure they "stay in line."

Still....I am very protective of our Church's message and culture.  I think Dr. Hyles was a well.
The pastor of the church to which I belong plans a number of sermon series during the year that will span 3-6 weeks per series.  Often one of the other staff men will speak for 1 or more of those Sundays. 

My pastor has lead in training the members to accept younger leaders he is training & giving them opportunities to be part of pulpit ministry. That leaves him open to speaking in other churches if those doors open but often he will be at church and introduce another staff member. He has the freedom to do all that because he does not take a salary.We have 3 services per Sunday.

As an aside, my pastor speaks 3 times for each of the services per Sunday but the same message & no midweek service. IMO that allows for more quality sermon prep on the 1 message & less burnout from the stress of having the 3 different messages to prepare for looming over his head every week.

WESLEY said:
Norefund said:

I agree.  I'm not sure there was any preacher whom I would rather have heard.

16KJV11 said:
I don't ever remember a guest speaker while I was there from 90 - 93...
But you are right about Bro. Hyles.  We all loved to hear him preach the most.
However, over the years, I have come to really appreciate some other great preachers.
Not sure why he didn't have guest speakers, might have something to do with "The Battle".  Maybe Bro. Hyles wasn't sure who would 'switch sides' the very next week and start attacking him.  I suspect that was the reason that towards the end of my tenure at HAC that we very rarely had guest speakers even in chapel.

I was there from '79 - '84 and there was no " big battle" at that time.  We would have an out of town speaker in chapel about once a week.  Dr. Hyles was always in the pulpit of FBCH.

cpizzle said:

Nicely done!

Baptist City Holdout said:
Twisted said:

Even if that has been covered before, starting a thread increases the number of posts, and Raider says it is worth it!

And with RAIDER, it is all about the numbers.

(except for the number of hairs on his head.)

cpizzle said:

Please clarify...  "  I never tell our Sunday School teachers what to teach ..."

Do you give them a lesson to teach, or just let them pick their own each week?

Teri in NC said:
Baptist City Holdout said:
Twisted said:

Even if that has been covered before, starting a thread increases the number of posts, and Raider says it is worth it!

And with RAIDER, it is all about the numbers.

(except for the number of hairs on his head.)

As you use to say to me, "RAIDER, I have more hair in my armpits than you have on your head!"