Would you ever eat one of these anyway?

W

Winston

Lev 11:29-30 'Of the animals that move about on the ground, these are unclean for you: the weasel, the rat, any kind of great lizard, the gecko, the monitor lizard, the wall lizard, the skink and the chameleon.'

Remember that the Israelites were never far off from the desert. Desert tribes have always used lizards as food. Eating a lizard probably wasn't so strange an idea for them, hence the need for an explicit prohibition.

I've eaten frog legs and alligator meat - I figure an iguana can't be too much different.

I would have to be desperate to eat such things.  I spent the first five years in WV politely avoiding offers of squirrel dumplin's. 

I don't think Mosaic laws, and Levitical laws in particular, were ever meant to apply to Christians. They were intended for the Jews and for the Tribe of Levi, the Jewish priestly caste.

BUT none of those critters sound particularly edible to me, except perhaps in survival mode desperation.

Winston said:
Lev 11:29-30 'Of the animals that move about on the ground, these are unclean for you: the weasel, the rat, any kind of great lizard, the gecko, the monitor lizard, the wall lizard, the skink and the chameleon.'

Yes, I would eat one if it was the only decent source of protein available.  I have eaten various rodents, but no rat or weasel as far as I know. 

There are many lizards that are supposed to be good to eat.  There are many that are dangerous to handle because they harbor dangerous bacteria.  I don't know which are which, so I'd avoid them all unless I had an expert around.  And I don't know which fall outside the Leviticus categories.