?Your First Chromebook? Should You Get One?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince Massi

Elect
Reaction score
I finally found my first Chromebook, made sure that I had a seven-day return guarantee, and got to work.

When I plugged it in and turned it on, it asked me what language I wanted. Choosing English was easy. Unlike Windows, there is only one Chrome Operating System. Chromebooks cannot refuse updates, so they all have the same OS.

Then it asked me what language keyboard I wanted. Bought in Mexico, it had a Spanish keyboard, so I chose that.

Then it scanned all available Wi-Fi and asked which one I wanted. I typed in the password on our modem, and I was online.

It then asked me to sign in to my Google account. I had already gone to Google.com on my Windows 10 machine and set up a free account. If you don?t have one, Chrome will help you set one up.

That?s it. I was online with the Chrome Operating System.

To be continued...

I've never met anyone who finds turning a computer on to be the breathtaking experience it obviously is for you.

Ransom said:
I've never met anyone who finds turning a computer on to be the breathtaking experience it obviously is for you.

You obviously have never owned a Chromebook.

Part 2

Chrome has a Chrome icon in the bottom left part of the screen. Remember that ?Chrome? refers to both the operating system and the internet browser. A Chrome toolbar appeared on top with a link to my Firefox bookmarks from my Win 10 machine. Chrome easily took me to Facebook and other sites, although I had to sign into all of them the first time. (This is normal for any new computer or OS).

With the standard two gigs of RAM and a quad-core ARM chip, my Chromebook is THE cheapest Chromebook available today ($150 US). Yet it rapidly flipped pages, opened tabs, played Christian music from Youtube, and ran multiple tabs with no problem.

When I added bookmarks to Chrome, they appeared on a toolbar at the top and were easy to find.

Vince Massi said:

I await with bated breath the moment when you decide to do something productive with your Chromebook, instead of just copping a feel.

Part 3

There is a ?magnifying glass? icon in the bottom left corner of the screen, and an identical key on the keyboard. This takes you to your list of Chrome apps, including a link to the Chrome Store. I found hundreds of free apps, including a pretty good Solitaire game. I installed some diagnostic tools, games, and word processing tools with no problems. The ?Bible App? has always been a disappointment to me, but it was the best they had.

I am typing this post on Google Docs, which works as well as any free Windows word processor.

And yes, every app that I installed works fine offline.

Vince, I notice that your computer threads have been posted to more than one forum, and in identical form. It appears that you are spreading the same material over multiple sites without interacting with other users. Of course, I have remarked on that latter bad habit of yours before. However, it is the former behaviour that concerns me, as it appears basically to be spam.

As fascinating as this account is of you fondling your Chromebook, I need you to take a time-out and explain why you should be permitted to continue copy-and-pasting. Thank you for you cooperation.

Part 4

Okay, I was having fun with my new Chromebook, but we have Mexican kids from our church, an orphanage,and the neighborhood come over in the evenings to play and do homework on our three laptops. How would they like Chrome?

Using my poor Spanish, I pointed to the icons for the internet, Facebook, and Youtube. Despite the small screen, they like it because it is faster than my two Windows 10 laptops. And despite never having seen a Chromebook before, and despite the fact that my WIndows 10 laptops use Firefox, (They had never used the Chrome browser before), they immediately got to work with no problems.

Folks, Chrome is that easy.

Ransom said:
Vince, I notice that your computer threads have been posted to more than one forum, and in identical form. It appears that you are spreading the same material over multiple sites without interacting with other users. Of course, I have remarked on that latter bad habit of yours before. However, it is the former behaviour that concerns me, as it appears basically to be spam.

Agreed. Google has ranking penalties for material copied across multiple domains. Therefore, I am going to lock this thread as it hasn't garnered much interest and it has a potential negative effect on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.