Cast & Blast

Dr. Huk-N-Duck

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
The only thing I like more than fishing or duck hunting is doing both, commonly referred to as “cast & blast.” Despite the slogan, it would be more accurate to call it “blast & cast,” because the idea is to hunt ducks at sunrise (blast), then go fishing (cast) once the ducks quit flying. Of course, in my case on Saturday, it will be cast & blast because we’re afternoon fishing and then evening hunting. I haven’t been hunting this season, so I expect to be rusty with my discharge, but hopefully I’ll knock down enough feathers for at least some jalapeño ducks poppers. This is the area we normally go:

The only thing I like more than fishing or duck hunting is doing both, commonly referred to as “cast & blast.” Despite the slogan, it would be more accurate to call it “blast & cast,” because the idea is to hunt ducks at sunrise (blast), then go fishing (cast) once the ducks quit flying. Of course, in my case on Saturday, it will be cast & blast because we’re afternoon fishing and then evening hunting. I haven’t been hunting this season, so I expect to be rusty with my discharge, but hopefully I’ll knock down enough feathers for at least some jalapeño ducks poppers. This is the area we normally go:
that sounds like a lot of fun... . and those fish look like they would be good eating.... .. we don;t have anything like cast and blast here... plenty of cast.. (though its not called that)... but no blast... at least not on this island.... . in fact fishing with an open face spinning reel like they are doing in the video is not even called casting... . it;s referred to as whipping.... and if you cast out with a bait casting reel and let it sit until the fish bites it;s call dunking.... but those terms mainly refer to fishing from shore... ..once you get out in a boat on the ocean it;s either trolling or bottom fishing... ...

i have considered taking up bow fishing.... (i think we even talked about that once?).... .. and i have a take down recurve bow drilled with a threaded hole for a bow fishing reel attachment.. ..it;s a vintage bear 76er we bought on ebay.... ..and i even have all the attachments and heavy fiber glass arrows required for bowfishing... .. but just never got out there where they do it.... .one day maybe... .

that sounds like a lot of fun
It is a lot of work, but definitely fun. If you were a southern gal, I can picture you doing both. There are some girls who do go out, although my wife and daughter limit their activities to fishing. And yes, plenty of good inshore fish to eat, especially redfish, sheepshead, trout, snapper and snook. Cobia is also good to eat, but much more rare to find. I caught a 40 lb cobia a few years ago, but it was pure luck coming across it. If you go about 8 to ten miles offshore, grouper is good as well.
i have considered taking up bow fishing.... (i think we even talked about that once?).... .. and i have a take down recurve bow drilled with a threaded hole for a bow fishing reel attachment.. ..it;s a vintage bear 76er we bought on ebay.... ..and i even have all the attachments and heavy fiber glass arrows required for bowfishing... .. but just never got out there where they do it.... .one day maybe...
We may have talked about it, but I don’t remember, but I’ve been toying with the idea of trying this out. It seems like in Florida it’s normally done at night with very bright flood lights on the bow of the boat. If you ever try it, give us a report because I’d like to hear some more info about this.

We may have talked about it, but I don’t remember, but I’ve been toying with the idea of trying this out. It seems like in Florida it’s normally done at night with very bright flood lights on the bow of the boat. If you ever try it, give us a report because I’d like to hear some more info about this.
I used to see people gigging for flounder in the bay between NAS Pensacola and Santa Rosa Island. You'd see them out at night with their lights on the water.

Last edited:
I used to see people gigging for flounder in the bay between NAS Pensacola and Santa Rosa Island. You'd see out at night with their lights on the water.
Flounder is actually my favorite fish to eat, at least when fried. We do catch flounder on occasion, but for whatever reason, in my area they tend to be pretty rare and small. I’ve never been given a good explanation for why. They are more abundant in the panhandle and especially on the Atlantic side near Jacksonville. I know they used to gig them in South Carolina where I grew up, but I never did it there.

Just reading about flounder vs halibut... Similar... Both are delicate white filets. I don't remember eating flounder while in Florida. Around here, halibut is more plentiful. Everyone raves about halibut but I didn't see was was so special about it. Well, I had never had it cooked properly. It was always overcooked. Once I had some that wasn't overcooked, it was wonderful. I imagine flounder is the same way.
I think halibut are way bigger. I’ve never seen one except on TV fishing shows in Alaska, so I can’t say anything about them. Flounder are very plentiful in the Carolinas. Most barbeque restaurants also serve flounder and hush puppies as well.

I think halibut are way bigger. I’ve never seen one except on TV fishing shows in Alaska, so I can’t say anything about them. Flounder are very plentiful in the Carolinas. Most barbeque restaurants also serve flounder and hush puppies as well.
Yeah... I was just watching some videos. You're right. Halibut is way meatier. I deleted my post.

You da man, Brett! Nothing beats an oyster roast (except maybe a lowcountry boil).

You da man, Brett! Nothing beats an oyster roast (except maybe a lowcountry boil).
He wasn't roasting them oysters...

The dogs wouldn't even eat them!!

I love oysters any way you can serve them.

I used to gulp them down raw knowing the consequences of getting a bad one. One day, I was shucking oysters while sitting on a pier and gulping some down until someone mentioned that there had been a red tide in the region recently. I figured I had dodged the bullet long enough and swore to only eat them cooked from then on. 🤢

He wasn't roasting them oysters...

The dogs wouldn't even eat them!!

I love oysters any way you can serve them.

I used to gulp them down raw knowing the consequences of getting a bad one. One day, I was shucking oysters while sitting on a pier and gulping some down until someone mentioned that there had been a red tide in the region recently. I figured I had dodged the bullet long enough and swore to only eat them cooked from then on. 🤢
My favorite is probably bacon-blue with garlic Parmesan a close second. Rockefeller isn’t bad either. Regardless, a squeeze of lemon and dab of Texas Pete is a must. I have never been brave enough to go raw, although I’ve gone raw with scallops I’ve scooped fresh from the Gulf.