Do you think "The Chosen" should be shown in mid-week Bible study in church?

Do you believe "The Chosen" should be shown in church during Bible study?

• Yes, I believe it is a good Godly program

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I believe it will stimulate conversation about God

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes...but, I don't know why....

• Definitely NOT, as it overly humanized Jesus Christ

• No, I'm not comfortable with it being in our church

• No.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Who cares???

• I'd be leaving this church as it would make me question my pastors leadership/discernment.

• Total voters

AverageJoe

Elect
Reaction score
Our church is going to be showing "The Chosen" on Wednesday evening in Bible studies and then discussing it. Do you find this an acceptable thing, or will it be detrimental to the church? Why or why not?

I don't know how it overly humanized him. He is 100% human too.

I don't know how it overly humanized him. He is 100% human too.
Did he question Peter about how he should do the Sermon on the Mount? Did he rely on the input of his disciples on how his ministry should go? I don't think so.

I’m afraid I don’t know a thing about the series.
You're lucky. We watched 3 seasons, and both my wife and I couldn't believe some of the things we saw.

Our church is going to be showing "The Chosen" on Wednesday evening in Bible studies and then discussing it. Do you find this an acceptable thing, or will it be detrimental to the church? Why or why not?
I think it can make for good discussion so long as your Pastor/Elder/Leader has good discernment. I think a "Small Group Fellowship" setting would be more appropriate though.

If I am going to set aside time for Wednesday night Church, I would much prefer having the Bible opened and receive some substantive teaching.

I don't think "The Chosen" should be shown in church. The director, Dallas Jenkins, has publicly stated that 95% of the content of "The Chosen" is not in the New Testament. When I go to church, I prefer to be taught from the Bible rather than from fictional material, but hey, that's just me.

I wouldn’t advocate that format for a formal worship service. I have never watched one scene from The Chosen, so I can’t speak to the issue of how accurately or poorly it portrays biblical truth. My reasoning for not utilizing that methodology I just simply wouldn’t want to dedicate that much time of the assembly to a source other than the Bible. I don’t mind supplemental aids in moderation, but not as a centerpiece.

Last edited:
Nope.

It's a Bible study, not a TV show study.

If it were a single feature film, say, and it touched on some of the topics relevant to the regular Bible study at the time, then I could see taking a week off the regular routine to watch and discuss it. Sort of like watching the movie of the book in high-school English.

But an entire TV series that's been running for years? No. Too much of a digression from the class's regular purpose.