Liberty, a 'Fundamental College'? Some might object...

Tarheel Baptist

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
...to Liberty being classified as such.
In fact, the powers that be at LU might object to that classification!  ;D

brianb said:

There are some really funny quotes on SFL about Liberty:

"Funny! You know, when someone tells me they are from a church I'm not familiar with, say "Rose of Sharon Church," I usually ask them their opinion of Billy Graham: Conservative or liberal?

Most of our non-cult surviving friends just can't get their minds around the fact that for some people, Billy Graham is just a few degrees short of Communism. And Falwell a liberal..."

AND

"haha i wouldn't mind going to liberty if my only other option was bob jones, but it wouldn't be my first choice. i'd much rather go to a state school or even a more recognized religious school like baylor or biola. my parents were going to make me go to pensacola for awhile but i convinced them otherwise. at least for now. back on subject. compared to bob jones, maranatha, pensacola, and west coast, liberty is not very conservative (trust me i heard about it every chapel for three years in fundy high). but to anybody outside of independent baptist fundamentalism, they are very much fundy. and who knows, maybe they are."

The bolded part just cracks me up.  Such important things to harp on continuously.  LOL!

LU would be called a fundamentalist school only by those who are 'hardened' or 'em-bittered' by a past experience among the hyper-fundamentalists.

Do they allow Calvinists?
If the answer is no they probably should be called fundamentalist.
:D

AmazedbyGrace said:
brianb quoted stufffundieslike!

;DWhen

I quoted them in spite of the fact that I don't think they don't all answer the question "Is Liberty Fundamentalist" with the same answer. I guess it all depends on one's definition of fundamentalist.

I also quoted them in a thread relating to the murder of the IFB missionaries in  Mexico - I don't believe SFL is against everything IFB nor would Darrell say those people deserved it because they were IFB. He reminds me of Ryan De Barr (Sp?) from the old FFF - he doesn't seem to have an axe to grind - I've read worse things on the FFF than on SFL like personal attacks rather than attacking the false or questionable doctrines or practices. When someone says things like so-and-so deserves the cancer they have or so-and-so is in hell it only makes the one saying it look bad.

brianb said:
AmazedbyGrace said:

;DWhen

I quoted them in spite of the fact that I don't think they don't all answer the question "Is Liberty Fundamentalist" with the same answer. I guess it all depends on one's definition of fundamentalist.

I also quoted them in a thread relating to the murder of the IFB missionaries in  Mexico - I don't believe SFL is against everything IFB nor would Darrell say those people deserved it because they were IFB. He reminds me of Ryan De Barr (Sp?) from the old FFF - he doesn't seem to have an axe to grind - I've read worse things on the FFF than on SFL like personal attacks rather than attacking the false or questionable doctrines or practices. When someone says things like so-and-so deserves the cancer they have or so-and-so is in hell it only makes the one saying it look bad.

I appreciate your quoting them, as I don't usually go to their site.
I would probably agree with them about 90% of the time, but their anti-fundy attitude is just like the fundy attitude they criticize so bitterly. Pun intended.

The fact that some of the like minded loons there hurl the 'fundy' accusation at LU helps to prove my point!

I am a graduate of Midwestern Baptist College, Liberty University and enrolled in Tennessee Temples PhD program. I wish people would learn the difference between traditional Fundamentalism developed in 1910  vs. the Fundamentalist movement which had its zenith in the 1970's. Midwestern is in the Fundamentalist camp which adds specific convictions and dogma like KJVO, dress and worship styles etc... Liberty & TTU adhere to five traditional Fundamental tenants and allow individuals to figure out for themselves where they stand on these secondary issues. The five non-negotiable doctrines of Fundamentalism are:
    * The inspiration of the Bible and the inerrancy of Scripture as a result of this.
    * The virgin birth of Christ.
    * The belief that Christ's death was the atonement for sin.
    * The bodily resurrection of Christ.
    * The historical reality of Christ's miracles.

Liberal theology rejects one or more of these five Fundamental tenants. Deciding on which Bible translation to use or worship style comes under the category of convictions not traditional Fundamental doctrine.

mshanlian said:
I am a graduate of Midwestern Baptist College, Liberty University and enrolled in Tennessee Temples PhD program. I wish people would learn the difference between traditional Fundamentalism developed in 1910  vs. the Fundamentalist movement which had its zenith in the 1970's. Midwestern is in the Fundamentalist camp which adds specific convictions and dogma like KJVO, dress and worship styles etc... Liberty & TTU adhere to five traditional Fundamental tenants and allow individuals to figure out for themselves where they stand on these secondary issues. The five non-negotiable doctrines of Fundamentalism are:
    * The inspiration of the Bible and the inerrancy of Scripture as a result of this.
    * The virgin birth of Christ.
    * The belief that Christ's death was the atonement for sin.
    * The bodily resurrection of Christ.
    * The historical reality of Christ's miracles.

Liberal theology rejects one or more of these five Fundamental tenants. Deciding on which Bible translation to use or worship style comes under the category of convictions not traditional Fundamental doctrine.

I went to Tennessee Temple when it was governed by Liberty University Graduates! Actually it still is, but I'm not there out of the respect and loyalty for Dr. Lee Roberson.

Liberty University has basically stepped away from the late Jerry Fawell. I understand Falwell went to TTS when the school had a STRICT dress code, dating policy, church attendance, and the like.

Somehow, in the past 20 years, rebellion from the standards that was actually extracted from scripture have been removed, thus, allowing students to practice civil liberties while knowledgeably accepting the FIVE core beliefs to be standard . WE need to understand that many different religions believe the 5 as well, so the foundation of being a BAPTIST has pretty much well been undermined by soft money and purpose driven ministries.

I will not hire anyone from New Day Liberty and TTU to come work in my church, respectively, I will speak out when the candidate is being reviewed.

Again you open your mouth and don't know what you are talking about. JF went to BBC in Springfield, Mo. I imagine TTU is also glad you are no longer there. And I cannot imagine you pastoring a church.

Anyway if you did instead of using a church bus, you can use your years of experience driving a cab to bring people to your church.

[quote author=GenX

4everfsu said:
Again you open your mouth and don't know what you are talking about. JF went to BBC in Springfield, Mo. I imagine TTU is also glad you are no longer there. And I cannot imagine you pastoring a church.

Anyway if you did instead of using a church bus, you can use your years of experience driving a cab to bring people to your church.

My bad, it was an honorary doctorate from TTS!

He graduated from Brookville High School in Lynchburg, Va., and from Baptist Bible College in Springfield, Missouri in 1956. This Bible college was unaccredited until 2001.[3] Falwell was eventually awarded three honorary doctoral degrees, and he sometimes used the title "doctor". The honorary doctorates were Doctor of Divinity from Tennessee Temple Theological Seminary, Doctor of Letters from California Graduate School of Theology, and Doctor of Laws from Central University in Seoul, South Korea.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Falwell