Maranatha Appoints New President

Mark Stevens was teaching and managing finances 92-95 ad later, but Munro was not there at that time.

James Munro: vice president, came with Weniger from Normal: 1983-- at least 1988. He is credited with getting the finances in the black along with Weniger. He is a real financial whizz.

Mark Stevens was brought on in 1986-7 (i believe)

Last edited:
I am never a fan of an organization getting "top-heavy" administratively, but I like the shift to cover the responsibilities and hopefully ensure positive growth for the school.

While I agree that any organization that becomes increasingly top-heavy becomes increasingly susceptible to disaster and ruin, Maranatha's current emphasis on "servant leadership," an emphasis which pervades the institutional culture, will most likely neuter any chance of the executives transforming into the stereotypical "suits in the C-suite" that our society so often sees in business, politics, and religion.

The Executive Committee serves as the chief governing body at MBU, overseeing day-to-day operations of the University. Here is a breakdown (as best as I have been able to determine) of the non-administrative roles and responsibilities of its members for the upcoming 2023-24 academic year.

• Dr. S. Martin ("Marty") Marriott, Chancellor --- Maranatha Baptist Bible Institute instructor, Maranatha Baptist Seminary professor, promotion of the University at regional fellowship meetings and pastor's conferences.

•Dr. David Anderson, Sr., President --- Recruiting for and promoting all the Maranatha educational ministries; traveling with the numerous musical groups throughout the year to generate a "personal connection" as Maranatha seeks to expand its constituency among fundamentalist churches.

• Dr. Matthew J. Davis, Chief Executive Officer --- Maranatha Baptist Bible Institute instructor, School of Business professor, Maranatha Baptist Seminary professor, volleyball and basketball broadcaster.

• Mr. Timothy McPhillips, Vice President of Institutional Advancement --- Maranatha Baptist Bible Institute instructor, Director of Development.

• Dr. William Licht, Vice President of Academic Affairs --- Department of Humanities professor, M.Ed. program co-ordinator, M.Ed. and MAT professor.

• Mr. Donald Donovan, Vice President of Business Affairs --- Nothing that I am aware of, although the Business Office at Maranatha has appeared to be chronically understaffed since Mark Stevens' departure in 2018.

• Dr. Andrew Goodwill, Dean of Students --- College of Bible and Church Ministries professor, Maranatha Baptist Seminary professor.

• Mr. Mark Herbster, Dean of Maranatha Baptist Seminary --- College of Bible and Church Ministries professor, Director of Discipleship, Symphonic Band member, traveling with numerous musical groups to promote the University, continuing his itinerant ministry throughout the year as a quasi-"staff evangelist," recruiting students and wooing pastors at the various churches, camps, and conferences at which he speaks.

Dr. Kevin Montney, Corporate Counsel --- School of Business professor, MOL and MNA professor, Director of Human Resources.