MaranathaPlus

Correction
Maranatha Baptist Bible College 1968

Renamed to Maranatha Baptist University 2013

Maranatha Baptist Seminary existed in the 1980s... not sure when it began

According to Dr. Larry Oats, Maranatha began its original Master of Divinity program in the early 1970s (approximately 1972). Throughout the Cedarholm and early Weniger years, it appears from institutional records and diplomas of its alumni that the graduate division of Maranatha was labeled the "Maranatha Baptist Graduate School of Theology." Dr. Oats shared on the On Mission podcast in 2022 that the Graduate School of Theology was discontinued under Arno Weniger, Jr., during the accreditation process, placing the closure of the Graduate School sometime between 1987 and 1991.

Maranatha Baptist Seminary (MBS) was inaugurated in 2009 when the Master of Divinity program was reinstated as a degree offering. The good folks in Watertown will firmly insist that the Graduate School of Theology and Seminary are two entirely distinct institutions.

Ahhh!!!! Now, something finally makes sense!

MBBC had ski trips. Dr Weniger and I were on a ski lift together. He asked me (1986ish) if I was thinking about Maranatha for seminary. I told him no. I was going to Detroit Baptist.

He said "Good move! Great seminary!" I found his choice of words interesting.

Everyone in my graduating class 1988 was going to Calvary Lancaster or Maranatha. I was the only one who went to Detroit. I believe, the first one, ever, that went there from Maranatha.

He said "Good move! Great seminary!" I found his choice of words interesting.
So, did he think you weren’t Maranatha Seminary material, or did he think Detroit was superior to Maranatha, or will it just be an eternal mystery? 😆

😂
He told me Detroit was better than MBBC and Lansdale. Weniger's theology was more like Detroit's.

MBBC was still working out of the TRO and soft Landmarkism.

Calvary, Lansdale was suffering in its theology department because of Doc Jordan's strong voice against Calvinism.

MBBC was still working out of the TRO and soft Landmarkism.

"TRO"? If that refers to "Textus Receptus Only," when did Maranatha "work out" of it? My pastor went up to the campus to meet some administrators this fall, and the position that the University takes is a firm stand on the Masoretic Text for the Old Testament and Textus Receptus for the New Testament. At least, it was a strong enough stance to persuade my heavily King James-preferred pastor to throw his support behind MBU even though they denounce the KJVO movement.

"TRO"? If that refers to "Textus Receptus Only," when did Maranatha "work out" of it? My pastor went up to the campus to meet some administrators this fall, and the position that the University takes is a firm stand on the Masoretic Text for the Old Testament and Textus Receptus for the New Testament. At least, it was a strong enough stance to persuade my heavily King James-preferred pastor to throw his support behind MBU even though they denounce the KJVO movement.
Uggh! They must have moved back to that when Marriot took over. Weniger had us use the Nestle-Aland text.

Strouse left the year I graduated in 1988.

They've gone liberal. They're letting girls wear pants. Pic from a "Crazy Chapel" on their website.

I'll never send a kid of mine there again. *Wink* as though I have in the past.

1702049596372.png

Correction
Maranatha Baptist Bible College 1968

Renamed to Maranatha Baptist University 2013

Maranatha Baptist Seminary existed in the 1980s... not sure when it began
I was in the Seminary in 1992.

Was Dwayne Morris your Greek prof or Oats?
Haha, neither. David Lingle for 1st year, Dr. Bob Milliman for 2nd year. He used the NIV to read a Psalm every day in NT classes. He was a real scholar, I thought.

Milliman has a PhD from trinity, a friend of Larry's. He moved to Central, then Cedarville, then Bethel (Mennonite) in Newton, Kansas. Its so weird, Bethel in KS is aligned with the Mennonites who affirm LGBTQ. He has moved far off the mark.

Barry, I was in class with a few guys you know. Scott Estele, Brad Anderson.

Do you know Rob Howe from Detroit? He has taught missions there, and was my daughter's Community Leader at Radius in 2020-2021. He's back on the Mission field.

Btw, I love Dave Doran. I traveled with him to Lansdale's leadership conference in 1994. He's a great preacher.

Last edited:
Lingle was my 3rd year Greek prof.
Millman came after I graduated.
Was Kent Brandenburg still around?

Haha, neither. David Lingle for 1st year, Dr. Bob Milliman for 2nd year. He used the NIV to read a Psalm every day in NT classes. He was a real scholar, I thought.

Milliman has a PhD from trinity, a friend of Larry's. He moved to Central, then Cedarville, then Bethel (Mennonite) in Newton, Kansas. Its so weird, Bethel in KS is aligned with the Mennonites who affirm LGBTQ. He has moved far off the mark.

Barry, I was in class with a few guys you know. Scott Estelle, Brad Anderson.

Do you know Rob Howe from Detroit? He has taught missions there, and was my daughter's Community Leader at Radius in 2020-2021. He's back on the Mission field.

Btw, I love Dave Doran. I traveled with him to Lansdale's leadership conference in 1994. He's a great preacher.
I know who Rob is. I was ahead of him by a few years, but not friends

Scott Brad and I are friends to this day.

Dave was very good for Detroit!

Lingle was my 3rd year Greek prof.
Millman came after I graduated.
Was Kent Brandenburg still around?
No, he was gone. NT was Oats, Theology was Max Barnes, and they were short staffed so they flew Bruce Compton and Gerald Priest and Rolland McCune in for Theology 2 week block classes.

I know who Rob is. I was ahead of him by a few years, but not friends

Scott Brad and I are friends to this day.

Dave was very good for Detroit!
I'm gonna share a pic with you. Estell's and my wife and I were members at Fellowship Baptist. You'll probably guess who I am.
1702051585347.jpeg

Dahl or Henkel?
Oh... Bob Meredith

Most of the people on those two pages were friends of mine! John Moore who became pastor in 1995ish is a friend of mine

Dahl or Henkel?
Oh... Bob Meredith

Most of the people on those two pages were friends of mine! John Moore who became pastor in 1995ish is a friend of mine
Funny. Dave Dahl is one of my best friend to this day. He moved west and we went to Central Seminary together. And Henkels are still friends, they have relatives in our current church.

I did now know John, but I was a missionary supported by that church when John Moore was pastor, until 1999. Ben Peterson, Olympic Gold '72, is still a friend. Good people.

Pastor Auckland was a great influence on so many of us. I am sure if you asked Scott, he'd agree. A truly great expository preacher.

btw, brother, thanks for keeping this site alive.