Semi-pelagianism discussion, and defence from a non-calvinist perspective

ALAYMAN

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Here's the link from the other thread, for added context.

At the wishes of FSSL I started this thread to discuss semi-pelagianism, namely the proper identification of that tag and its right and wrong usage by Calvinists against non-Calvinists. Here's a link for non-calvinists who wish to frame your theological beliefs so as not to give legitimacy to Calvinist claims of semi-pelegianism. Of course there will always be a range of semantic meanings/definitions that some people will still quibble over, and many Calvinist's will call anybody that forwards ANY concept of synergistic cooperation in the process of salvation (even if such cooperation is advocated for post-regeneration, as this is an in-house Calvinist argument) a semi-pelegian, but it's at least helpful to be moderately informed at what concepts are in dispute.

Last edited:
The term "Semi-Pelegian", is very vague.
It allows a Calvinist, who is debating a novice, to search the whole of everything Pelagius ever stated, and say: "See, you're semi!!!
"Semi" could mean: "agrees that man has a choice, and that's probably it".
Or, and what I would expect intellectually honest Calvinists to limit their charges to, actual followers of Pelagius. Deniers of Original Sin, for one huge glaring starter!

Trying to answer this... there are problems in this guy's article and he is not defining "semi-pelagianism" in a way that corresponds to the standard historical theologies. I'll point this out soon.

Having read through the article, I don't have enough issues to criticize it. I think it overlooked some things from the Historical Theologies he cited, but not enough to for me to go through a detailed analysis. It was a worthy read and I thank Alayman for bringing it forward.

Here is the crux of the problem as I see it... labels, like Semi-Pelagianism and Hyper Calvinism are applied by us pedestrian theologians without expecting full acceptance of all of the views.

Semi-Pelagianism, according to a swath of Historical Theologies, is characterized by the thoughts that:

• Man is sick, not dead (Culver, 687)
  • There is synergism between man’s will and God (Schaff-Herzog, 10:349)
  • Rejection of irresistable grace (Ibid.)
  • Predestination is viewed as a heresy (New Dictionary of Theology, 833)
  • Rejection of perseverance (Ibid)
  • Affirmed original sin (Ibid)
  • Sought a balanced antimony between grace and freedom (Ibid)
  • Views predestination as based on foreknowledge (Ibid)

This is not comprehensive, but is shared by the historical theologies.

So, as a pedestrian theologian, I do not expect a person to fall into every single thought, but if someone repeats the above, I do not see any problem with saying a person is a "Semi-Pelagianist."

Are these labels necessary? I don't mind being called a Calvinist even though there is a bit of confusion and curiosity if I am a hyperCalvinist. I think it is a starting point.

So, if you find yourself agreeing with he above points, as opposed to the standard TULIP, then why is the term "Semi-Pelagian" difficult? Historically that is how it is defined.

"Semi-Pelagian" is one of those terms that, like "hyper-Calvinism," gets thrown around a bit and abused. It has a (more or less) specific definition, however:

Doctrines, upheld during the period from 427 to 529, that rejected the extreme views both of Pelagius and of Augustine in regards to the priority of divine grace and human will in the initial work of salvation....

In opposition to Augustinianism, [John] Cassian taught that though a sickness is inherited through Adam's sin, human free will has not been entirely obliterated. Divine grace is indispensible for salvation, but it does not necessarily need to precede a free human choice, because, despite the weakness of human volition, the will takes the initiative toward God. In other words, divine grace and human free will must work together in salvation....

[Faustus of Riez] rejected the predestinarian conception of a divine monergism and taught that human will, by virtue of the freedom lett in it, takes the beginning step toward God. Salvation, therefore, is accomplished by the cooperation of human and divine factors, and predestination is merely God's foreknowledge of what a person has freely decided. Grace, to Faustus, meant the divine illumination of human will, and not, as it did to Augustine, the regenerative power of grace in the heart. (Richard Kyle, "Semi-Pelagianism," Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, ed. Walter A. Elwell [Grand Rapids: Baker, 1984], 1000-01.​

Another source:

John Cassian (ca. 360–ca. 435), a monk, endeavored to find a compromise position by which the human will and the divine will could cooperate in salvation. He taught that all men are sinful because of the Fall and that their wills are weakened but not totally corrupted. Man’s partially free will can cooperate with divine grace in the process of salvation. He feared that the doctrines of election and irresistible grace taught by Augustine might lead to ethical irresponsibility. The view of Cassian was condemned at the Synod of Orange in 529 in favor of a moderate Augustinian view. (Earle E. Cairns, Christianity Through the Centuries, 3rd ed. [Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1996], 132.​

So to compare and contrast the three views:

TopicPelagianSemi-PelagianAugustinian
Original sinRejects the idea of original sin. Every human being is born into an innocent and unfallen state.All humanity has been affected by the fall, but the ability to choose the good is not completely destroyed.The fall destroyed the moral image of God in humanity, and all humans are dead to God and helpless to change their state.
Free willWith no corruption due to sin, the will is completely free to choose to obey God's commandments or not.The freedom of the will is damaged, but not destroyed. People have the ability to repent and believe if they choose.The human will is enslaved to sin and inclined only to choose sinfully.
GraceUnnecessary for salvation. Every person is innately capable of fulfilling divine commands and becoming a follower of Jesus.Necessary for salvation, but not for the initial step toward God.Necessary for salvation, because human beings dead in sin have no capacity to move toward God on their own.
PredestinationGod knows who will freely choose to be saved.God knows who will freely choose to be saved.God knows whom he will choose to save.
Synergistic/monergisticSynergisticSynergisticMonergistic (God's work alone)

There's also a fourth position, semi-Augustinianism, which is essentially the same as semi-Pelagianism, except that God rather than man takes the initiative, and the human and divine wills then cooperate to bring about salvation.

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah.

It's very simple. As it was in the days of Noe. Once the last of the Elect enters the Ark (Christ), the Door (Christ) is shut, and it's Judgment Day.

Noah never preached that judgment would come in stages with an intervening temporal kingdom (the so-called Millennium) before the End.

No. According to Jesus, life will fairly be humdrum till the great disruption of His appearance.

"Semi-Pelagian" is one of those terms that, like "hyper-Calvinism," gets thrown around a bit and abused. It has a (more or less) specific definition, however:

Doctrines, upheld during the period from 427 to 529, that rejected the extreme views both of Pelagius and of Augustine in regards to the priority of divine grace and human will in the initial work of salvation....​
In opposition to Augustinianism, [John] Cassian taught that though a sickness is inherited through Adam's sin, human free will has not been entirely obliterated. Divine grace is indispensible for salvation, but it does not necessarily need to precede a free human choice, because, despite the weakness of human volition, the will takes the initiative toward God. In other words, divine grace and human free will must work together in salvation....​
[Faustus of Riez] rejected the predestinarian conception of a divine monergism and taught that human will, by virtue of the freedom lett in it, takes the beginning step toward God. Salvation, therefore, is accomplished by the cooperation of human and divine factors, and predestination is merely God's foreknowledge of what a person has freely decided. Grace, to Faustus, meant the divine illumination of human will, and not, as it did to Augustine, the regenerative power of grace in the heart. (Richard Kyle, "Semi-Pelagianism," Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, ed. Walter A. Elwell [Grand Rapids: Baker, 1984], 1000-01.​

Another source:

John Cassian (ca. 360–ca. 435), a monk, endeavored to find a compromise position by which the human will and the divine will could cooperate in salvation. He taught that all men are sinful because of the Fall and that their wills are weakened but not totally corrupted. Man’s partially free will can cooperate with divine grace in the process of salvation. He feared that the doctrines of election and irresistible grace taught by Augustine might lead to ethical irresponsibility. The view of Cassian was condemned at the Synod of Orange in 529 in favor of a moderate Augustinian view. (Earle E. Cairns, Christianity Through the Centuries, 3rd ed. [Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1996], 132.​

Original sinRejects the idea of original sin. Every human being is born into an innocent and unfallen state.All humanity has been affected by the fall, but the ability to choose the good is not completely destroyed.The fall destroyed the moral image of God in humanity, and all humans are dead to God and helpless to change their state.
Free willWith no corruption due to sin, the will is completely free to choose to obey God's commandments or not.The freedom of the will is damaged, but not destroyed. People have the ability to repent and believe if they choose.The human will is enslaved to sin and inclined only to choose sinfully.
GraceUnnecessary for salvation. Every person is innately capable of fulfilling divine commands and becoming a follower of Jesus.Necessary for salvation, but not for the initial step toward God.Necessary for salvation, because human beings dead in sin have no capacity to move toward God on their own.
PredestinationGod knows who will freely choose to be saved.God knows who will freely choose to be saved.God knows whom he will choose to save.
Synergistic/monergisticSynergisticSynergisticMonergistic (God's work alone)

There's also a fourth position, semi-Augustinianism, which is essentially the same as semi-Pelagianism, except that God rather than man takes the initiative, and the human and divine wills then cooperate to bring about salvation.
Interesting chart but the "Original Sin" category seems to be inconsistent. I would expect to see how "Original Sin" affects man's free will with respect to each of the categories.

Pelagianism rejects the idea of original sin and mankind therefore has an unrestricted free will.

The "Semi-Pelagian" category is what I would expect - affected by the fall but still able to "Do Good" where it is implied that mankind would actually "Seek after God" and sincerely desire to know the "truth" should they so choose.

The way the "Augustinian" category is written speaks of man's complete inability to do good which I believe even the rabid "Anti-Cals" here would agree. The question is whether such flows over to man's ability to "Seek after God" and to have a sincere desire to know the truth?

My "Personal Take" on the matter is that I like to "Play Dumb" regarding man's ability or lack thereof. I do not know whether a lost man has the ability to "Seek after God" but I do know that left to their own free will, they will NEVER seek after God! Approaching from this standpoint gets my point across while hopefully avoiding a "Bar Brawl" in the middle of my Sunday School class!

I believe this to be consistent with both Calvinism as well as CLASSIC Arminianism (Which acknowledges the "T"). No man comes to me except the father DRAWS him (Jn 6:44). It is up to you to make this fit within your soteriological view whether you hold to Prevenient Grace or Efficacious Grace! I believe both are at work but there is a great deal of semantics and fumbling around with the "Ordo Salutis" and so forth. So long as you believe that Salvation is OF GOD and by the POWER OF GOD, we can hang out and break bread - or enjoy a well-crafted IPA! :LOL:

Yes, there’s not enough mudslinging going on here and way too much Kumbaya 😁

Doctrines, upheld during the period from 427 to 529, that rejected the extreme views both of Pelagius and of Augustine in regards to the priority of divine grace and human will in the initial work of salvation....​
In opposition to Augustinianism, [John] Cassian taught that though a sickness is inherited through Adam's sin, human free will has not been entirely obliterated. Divine grace is indispensible for salvation, but it does not necessarily need to precede a free human choice, because, despite the weakness of human volition, the will takes the initiative toward God. In other words, divine grace and human free will must work together in salvation....​

Another source:

Synergistic/monergisticSynergisticSynergisticMonergistic (God's work alone)"

Great Chart. I might take debate with an act of receiving, like in Salvation, being classified as part of the "work" . That aside would you have a chart that would include various aspects in like theological boxes(for lack of better term) of different levels, beliefs or grades of Hyper-Calvinism.

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah.

It's very simple. As it was in the days of Noe. Once the last of the Elect enters the Ark (Christ), the Door (Christ) is shut, and it's Judgment Day.

Noah never preached that judgment would come in stages with an intervening temporal kingdom (the so-called Millennium) before the End.

No. According to Jesus, life will fairly be humdrum till the great disruption of His appearance.
oops! This was meant for another discussion. I have multiple tabs open when interacting on a forum and obviously typed this one in the wrong reply box. LOL.

Apologies.

If you don't have that chart, Ransom, I believe I do.

Interesting chart but the "Original Sin" category seems to be inconsistent. I would expect to see how "Original Sin" affects man's free will with respect to each of the categories.
I thought that was in there.

In Pelagianism, since there is no original sin, there is no corruption, and the will remains completely free to choose to follow God. Salvation is entirely possible by human effort, apart from requiring the grace of forgiveness.

In semi-Pelagianism, original sin corrupts, but not fully, so while salvation requires divine grace for completion, men are still capable of freely taking the first step.

In Augustinianism, original sin corrupts the will thoroughly, such that men are enslaved to their sinful desires and capable of freely carrying only them out. Therefore, salvation is entirely a work of God from start to finish, since God alone can initiate the work of salvation and carry it through to completion.

Last edited:
That aside would you have a chart that would include various aspects in like theological boxes(for lack of better term) of different levels, beliefs or grades of Hyper-Calvinism.
Nope. Wrote that up last night.
If you don't have that chart, Ransom, I believe I do.
Have at it!

From Monergism’s website:

“Semi-Pelagianism is a Reformation-era term that came to designate a softer sort of Pelagianism that arose after the Council of Ephesus, in the sixth century. According to Semi-Pelagianism, man is not free to choose good or evil, but he is at least free to make the first move to God, to turn to him in faith, and so be given the power to choose good by God's grace. Man is not free to do good in his fallen nature, but he is at least able to believe and come to God in his own native strength.”

I’m not exactly sure what they mean by the second bolded statement (though I suspect philosophic concepts of “deadness” and total depravity are lurking, lol) but I have never heard the first bolded notion expressed that way in my non-Calvinist church/sermons. Nevertheless I most certainly agree that unless God initiates a wooing/drawing by His initiative-taking grace that no man would ever come to Christ.