Snow Way! It’s Snowing in Hawaii

Yes, you’re correct about that. Apparently it can snow anytime of year up there. I just watched a video and she said that.
Well, cool. It's nice to know that they would let my pickup up the mountain. Now, getting it over there is another story...

Well, cool. It's nice to know that they would let my pickup up the mountain. Now, getting it over there is another story...
I would love to drive my Jeep up Mauna Kea! I watched a couple videos on YouTube about that, but I won’t bore everyone with them because they’re 30+ minutes.

not quite periodismo amarillo... ..but definitely sensacionalismo exagerado ..:rolleyes:.

like baptist renegade said it snows on mauna kea all the time.... usually at night...
and most of the time it melts off during the day when the sun hits it..... ....here is
a live feed of mauna kea posted below - originally set up to see the meteor showers
at night and also the massive blanket of stars visible from up there.... ..but you can
also see some of the snow still on the ground....

not quite periodismo amarillo... ..but definitely sensacionalismo exagerado ..:rolleyes:.

like baptist renegade said it snows on mauna kea all the time.... usually at night...
and most of the time it melts off during the day when the sun hits it..... ....here is

a live feed of mauna kea posted below - originally set up to see the meteor showers
at night and also the massive blanket of stars visible from up there.... ..but you can
also see some of the snow still on the ground....
Beautiful. Is this much snow common up there?

Beautiful. Is this much snow common up there?
it is pretty common this time of year.... . sometimes it even lasts throughout the winter months... ..... it attracts a lot of visitors to the big island from the other islands who want to see snow up close.. ...but i saw enough of it on our elk hunting trip several years ago to last me a lifetime.... ..and went up to mauna kea once a few years ago during the summer months - no interest in getting back into a plane to go see it again.. ..especially with snow on it... ... ....besides.. it;s kinda hard to breathe up there after you have been there an hour or so.... very thin air with lower percentage of oxygen....

Last edited:
I bet going up there on a motorcycle would be really cool! Only thing is at the bottom, its shorts and a t-shirt weather but somewhere towards the top, you will wish you had on thermals and other winter attire!🥶

I bet going up there on a motorcycle would be really cool! Only thing is at the bottom, its shorts and a t-shirt weather but somewhere towards the top, you will wish you had on thermals and other winter attire!🥶
My Goldwing GL-1800 is allergic to gravel roads.

My Goldwing GL-1800 is allergic to gravel roads.
That’s kind of what I was thinking. Years ago I had a motorcycle, put a few thousand miles on it and sold it because I didn’t enjoy the heat of Florida and the idiots on the road. I don’t ever recall going on a gravel road with it, but I’d think only dirt bike tires would work on mountain gravel.

Just out of curiosity, are there motorcycles with dual terrain tires for handling off road and street, or is it pretty much either a cruiser or dirt bike option?

Just out of curiosity, are there motorcycles with dual terrain tires for handling off road and street, or is it pretty much either a cruiser or dirt bike option?
Some guys trike 'em out after laying one over a time or two (and it's only a matter of time.)

1701706911516.png

There is what is called "dual sport" or adventure which look like a dirt bike but can handle the highways. You see these guys that ride across Asia on dual sports.

Some guys trike 'em out after laying one over a time or two (and it's only a matter of time.)

View attachment 4971
You have to be careful how fast you take a turn on something like this because it will tip over! I would much rather have a Can-Am or Polaris Slingshot with two tires up front and one on the rear. Much more "sporting" out on the twisty mountain roads! The rear tire would break loose and put you in a spin instead of rolling over.