1 Corinthians 15:20 "become" textual issue

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
KJV: But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. (1 Co 15:20).

ESV: But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. (1 Co 15:20).

NIV: But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. (1 Co 15:20).

Metzger's commentary is silent on this.

Textual variant.

TR/Byz: νυνι δεG χριστος εγηγερται εκ νεκρων απαρχη των κεκοιμημενων εγενετο 
UBS: νυνι δεG χριστος εγηγερται εκ νεκρων απαρχη των κεκοιμημενων 

:)

FSSL said:
KJV: But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. (1 Co 15:20).

ESV: But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. (1 Co 15:20).

NIV: But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. (1 Co 15:20).

You prefer the NIV and ESV, right? But do you have a concern with the KJV or are you looking to see how people might interpret it? I know nothing about the texts behind this variant. It would be cool if someone listed what texts include/exclude it.

Thomas Cassidy said:
Textual variant.

TR/Byz: νυνι δεG χριστος εγηγερται εκ νεκρων απαρχη των κεκοιμημενων εγενετο 
UBS: νυνι δεG χριστος εγηγερται εκ νεκρων απαρχη των κεκοιμημενων 

:)

εγενετο

This is translated "and become," if I have it right. So it is a textual issue, not translation.

FSSL said:

Is it listed as a variant at all?  I am not at home where my Greek tools are located.

JamesTucker said:
Whoa, so there is no reason whatsoever for not including "become"????????? They just kept it out without evidence?
No. The Byzantine text form (Byz/TR) includes the reading translated "become" and the Alexandrian text form (UBS/NA) omits the word.

While it's obviously a variant.....it interesting that the translators of the Bishops bible (that some say is translated exclusively from the textus receptus) must of ignored the "variant addition".

1Co 15:20  But nowe is Christe rysen from the dead, the first fruites of them that slept.

;)

Thomas Cassidy said:
JamesTucker said:
Whoa, so there is no reason whatsoever for not including "become"????????? They just kept it out without evidence?
No. The Byzantine text form (Byz/TR) includes the reading translated "become" and the Alexandrian text form (UBS/NA) omits the word.

Notice Cassidy's choice of words when using "omit".

Obviously the Bishops bible translator didn't consider the "variant addition" to the text.

Thomas Cassidy said:
JamesTucker said:

Oh, wow, that is huge. I wonder why every Alexandrian text would exclude it and every Byz. text would include it. Hey, what about the Latin or other texts?

Bob said:
FSSL said:

Is it listed as a variant at all?  I am not at home where my Greek tools are located.

The apparatus from Tischendorf...

τ. κεκοιμημενων sine εγε. cum אABD*EFGP 6. 17. 67** 71. 177. d e f g r vg sah cop basm arm aeth Irint 309 Or2,552 et3,538 (etcat 297) etint 4,693 Dial854 Chr426 Euthalcod al Hil1104 Ambrst al

FSSL said:
Bob said:
FSSL said:

The apparatus from Tischendorf...

τ. κεκοιμημενων sine εγε. cum אABD*EFGP 6. 17. 67** 71. 177. d e f g r vg sah cop basm arm aeth Irint 309 Or2,552 et3,538 (etcat 297) etint 4,693 Dial854 Chr426 Euthalcod al Hil1104 Ambrst al

JamesTucker said:
Ah, this is MUCH more clear.

I know... I have not had much time to be on the forums today... I sold four machines and got two websites completed  8)
Tomorrow, I won't be on much at all... We are traveling to Bradenton, FL

The first reading without egeneto has wide, old and varied support.
The second reading has very little support at all.

Exactly. Thus..... its not just a TR/BYZ issue or it would have made it into the Bishops.

CU said:

While it's obviously a variant.....it interesting that the translators of the Bishops bible (that some say is translated exclusively from the textus receptus) must of ignored the "variant addition".

1Co 15:20  But nowe is Christe rysen from the dead, the first fruites of them that slept.

"But now Christ is risen from the dead, the firstfruits of them that sleep" (Douay-Rheims)

Almost word for word. The Bishops' Bible came before the Douay, but the latter was translated from the Vulgate. I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out they consulted it here.

The variant changes the wording, but not the meaning, in any case.

Ransom said:
The variant changes the wording, but not the meaning, in any case.

I would argue that it does obscure the meaning. I don't see it as a flagrant issue, but the words "and become" does allow for a time lapse. It could be misleading in that sense (ala MacArthur)

MacArthur, J. (1996). 1 Corinthians (416). Chicago: Moody Press.
The words