1974 Who's Who and Hylanders - Where are they now?

Lone Ranger

Elect
Reaction score
Mr. Hylander - Jim Black
Miss Hylander - Arlene Beck

Who's Who:
Ken Carpenter
Elsie Tate
Johnny Pope
Jim Coleman

Lone Ranger said:
Mr. Hylander - Jim Black

Who's Who:
Ken Carpenter
Elsie Tate
Johnny Pope
Jim Coleman

Pope, still out and about in ministry, I believe.

Arlene Beck taught math at HB 6th grade when I attended. Also, I had Elsie Tate (Dietrich) as my 2nd grade teacher. She had just gotten married and left. Never heard from her after that.

Lone Ranger said:
Mr. Hylander - Jim Black

Who's Who:
Ken Carpenter
Elsie Tate
Johnny Pope
Jim Coleman

Pope pastors in Texas.  Would no longer be considered a "FBCH type".

Lone Ranger said:
Johnny Pope

Funny story... I preach outside of my own church very rarely. But last year an area church here in Chicago had a week long revival scheduled with a number of preachers and one of them got hurt. The pastor had to fill in a night at the last minute and asked me to preach. I agreed. The other preacher that night was Johnny Pope. Of course I was to preach first and he second.

Poor him. I chose the same text and the same subject that he chose. ...only I got to go first. =) He laughed and laughed about it when he got up, preached his sermon anyway, and we had an absolutely wonderful service. He asked the pastor of that church if the pastor would specifically invite me back to preach with him again next time he is in town. So I'm up again with Johnny Pope at that church next time. Here's hoping we actually pick different texts and themes next time...

I was quite disappointed to read his Jack Schaap support letter. I don't know about if he is an FBCH type, but the support letter makes me wonder.

RAIDER said:
Lone Ranger said:
Mr. Hylander - Jim Black

Who's Who:
Ken Carpenter
Elsie Tate
Johnny Pope
Jim Coleman

RAIDER said:
Lone Ranger said:
Mr. Hylander - Jim Black

Who's Who:
Ken Carpenter
Elsie Tate
Johnny Pope
Jim Coleman

Pope was featured at the FBCH marriage retreat at the Westin in Lombard in 2014.

Current pastor sure seemed to enjoy his presence, same old Johnny hasn't changed a bit, maybe it's just me though.

Do you think that might give some indication if he is an FBCH type?

Smellin Coffee said:
Lone Ranger said:
Mr. Hylander - Jim Black

Who's Who:
Ken Carpenter
Elsie Tate
Johnny Pope
Jim Coleman

I had Elsie Tate (Dietrich) as my 2nd grade teacher. She had just gotten married and left. Never heard from her after that.

Elsie married Dan Deatrick, and they stayed around for another year for him to graduate. They moved to Ballwin, MO where he started a church and stayed for 10 years. Then they spent 2 years in Rochester Hills, MI where Dan was bus pastor. Then Dan took a church in Wayland, MO where they have been for 27 years. They have 6 kids and 25 grandkids. Two of their children are pastors and two are on the mission field. They are good friends. We worked bus route together (52) in college, and the Lord allowed our ministries to intersect for 2 years at Rochester Hills.

Jim Black is working as assistant in Key Largo, Fl

Jim Coleman is working or retired in Michigan. He left the pastored many years ago.

Lone Ranger I'm from Rochester Hills, Michigan what church where you in?

Sherryh said:
Lone Ranger I'm from Rochester Hills, Michigan what church where you in?

I was at Rochester Hills Baptist Church from 1986-1988.

Lone Ranger said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Lone Ranger said:
Mr. Hylander - Jim Black

Who's Who:
Ken Carpenter
Elsie Tate
Johnny Pope
Jim Coleman

I had Elsie Tate (Dietrich) as my 2nd grade teacher. She had just gotten married and left. Never heard from her after that.

Elsie married Dan Deatrick, and they stayed around for another year for him to graduate. They moved to Ballwin, MO where he started a church and stayed for 10 years. Then they spent 2 years in Rochester Hills, MI where Dan was bus pastor. Then Dan took a church in Wayland, MO where they have been for 27 years. They have 6 kids and 25 grandkids. Two of their children are pastors and two are on the mission field. They are good friends. We worked bus route together (52) in college, and the Lord allowed our ministries to intersect for 2 years at Rochester Hills.

Wow. Thanks for the update. (Sorry about the misspelling of their last name.)

Lone Ranger not sure who you are but I grew up at Rochester Hills Baptist Church. Pastor Traxler married my husband and I . Did you know my uncle David Ennis? he worked at the church not sure the years. It's a small world...

Sherryh said:
Lone Ranger not sure who you are but I grew up at Rochester Hills Baptist Church. Pastor Traxler married my husband and I . Did you know my uncle David Ennis? he worked at the church not sure the years. It's a small world...

I don't recall a David Ennis, but there are a lot of people I don't recall from 27 years ago. The music minister at that time was Lyle Ohman, the youth pastor was Russ Stephens, and Dan Deatrick was bus pastor. Pastor Traxler was the senior pastor when we were there.

Pastor Traxler retired I'm not sure who took the pastorate now. God bless you!!

Regarding Rochester Hills Baptist Church.
Bro. Hal Hightower is their new pastor as of Jan. 2015

Here's his first sermon as pastor.
https://youtu.be/zB6fWnC6qBs

Thank you I was looking all over for who took the pastorate...I'll check this site out