A Church That Doesn't Support Gay Marriage Is 'Irrelevant' Rob Bell

Been a long time since I cared what that heretic Rob Bell had to say.

Remember when John Piper tweeted "Farewell Rob Bell," and everyone thought he was off the deep end?

Ransom said:
Remember when John Piper tweeted "Farewell Rob Bell," and everyone thought he was off the deep end?

He's like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going and going.

energizer-bunny.jpg

Ransom said:

Yup. He was quite the visionary.

Tarheel Baptist said:
The irony that churches who do support gay marriage are Biblically irrelevant will one day dawn on Bell....

As well as generally irrelevant. Two weeks after the pastor of GracePointe Church in Franklin, TN announced that a "divine wind" had led the church to endorse same-sex unions and grant full membership privileges to homosexuals, their giving and attendance were down by half. (Incidentally, "divine wind" is the English translation of "kamikaze." Seems prophetic.) Many mainline churches that are already moribund seem to become "affirming," trying to revitalize attendance. It doesn't work.

Basically, Embracing The Gay is the kiss of death for a church.

Ransom said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
The irony that churches who do support gay marriage are Biblically irrelevant will one day dawn on Bell....

As well as generally irrelevant. Two weeks after the pastor of GracePointe Church in Franklin, TN announced that a "divine wind" had led the church to endorse same-sex unions and grant full membership privileges to homosexuals, their giving and attendance were down by half. (Incidentally, "divine wind" is the English translation of "kamikaze." Seems prophetic.) Many mainline churches that are already moribund seem to become "affirming," trying to revitalize attendance. It doesn't work.

Agreed that if a church is already moribund, making that change alone isn't going to turn it around. To the contrary, an established church is likely to lose their more conservative members, and they'd better have a good plan to attract more.

OTOH, my TEC/ELCA church was "affirming" from its founding, and we're doing quite well. :)

Who is Rob Bell* and why does he think anyone gives a hairy rat's behind what he thinks??  ::)  ::)

* rhetorical question.

Izdaari said:
OTOH, my TEC/ELCA church was "affirming" from its founding, and we're doing quite well. :)

How do you practically judge the Blessings of God? Just curious?

This is one of the reasons that the Scriptures are so very important. We know from the Scriptures that God blesses both the Godly and the ungodly. That He is benevolent and patience to both His children and the children of satan. Simply pointing at the "blessings of God" doesn't tell you very much in the grand scheme of things.

This is what Vince misses here on the forum and what many so called "theologians" miss in their theology. Rob Bell in particular.

Thus... the old Scripture.

"Let God be true and every PERSON a liar".

praise_yeshua said:
Izdaari said:

How do you practically judge the Blessings of God? Just curious?

This is one of the reasons that the Scriptures are so very important. We know from the Scriptures that God blesses both the Godly and the ungodly. That He is benevolent and patience to both His children and the children of satan. Simply pointing at the "blessings of God" doesn't tell you very much in the grand scheme of things.

This is what Vince misses here on the forum and what many so called "theologians" miss in their theology. Rob Bell in particular.

Thus... the old Scripture.

"Let God be true and every PERSON a liar".

Well, of course, I can't know that the reason we're doing well is because of God's blessing. But we are doing well, and also doing much good, and I think we're following the Way that Jesus taught to the best of our ability.

Ransom said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I noticed that Greg Boyd ended up preaching at this same church recently.... post "announcement". Makes me wonder just how opposed to such things he really is. Officially, he considers such things "missing the mark".

FWIW: I think a church must first & foremost do Right, & then try to figure out how to grow. Not the other way around. What good is it to grow if your not teaching what the Bible says & practicing it as well.

I think God wants churches to grow but never a the expense of doing & living right.

Lots of MEGA churches full of members with itching ears. Preacher just tells them what they want to hear & they come back every Sunday for another pep rally.

Wow, this does not surprise me, since Rob Bell is a wicked false prophet anyways.

Biblebeliever said:
Wow, this does not surprise me, since Rob Bell is a wicked false prophet anyways.

Thank you for that wholly original and entirely not-said-yet bit of information, Captain Obvious!

Well Scott, that's the thing, it should be obvious to many Christians out there that Rob Bell is a false prophet and minister of Satan since he operates in the very same work which Satan operates in, which is casting doubt upon the authority of the word of God.

Biblebeliever said:
Well Scott, that's the thing, it should be obvious to many Christians out there that Rob Bell is a false prophet and minister of Satan since he operates in the very same work which Satan operates in, which is casting doubt upon the authority of the word of God.

It is obvious. It has been obvious to us for many years. We didn't need a Johnny-come-lately like you to remind us of how obvious it is.

Of course, all you do is deal in the obvious:

[*] On the one hand, you deal in the obviously true, because for some reason you arrogantly presume yourself to be more knowledgeable than the rest of us about matters we were informed on ages ago; or
[*] On the other hand, you also deal in the obviously false, because you are a credulous nitwit who believes every nonsensical thing you see on Youtube.

Either way, we don't care.