A Hairy Situation in IFB

This surprised me too. The beard thing wasn't even the part of their dress code I was looking for, but it caught my attention.

My guess is that the old canard about facial hair belonging to hippie subculture doesn't play so well anymore with students born 30+ years after the Summer of Love.
Yeah, only younger guys I see with beards these days are usually pretty hardcore country boys, so they probably got rid of the rule because only about 1 in a 100 have one anyway

At my former church, in Hyles fashion, everyone had always had hairless faces until a few years ago when one of the more senior associate pastors grew a beard. Within a month all the rest of the associate pastors had grown beards.

in the letters paul wrote to various people and groups of people.... he was very good at clarfying whether he was giving an instruction that was already established as a commandment of God.... and whether he was offering his personal preferences as wise and learned advice.... unfortunately legally minded theologians both professonal and otherwise.. have always had a hard time seeing the difference.... ..

i think it;s because they have gotten so use to viewing every numbered verse in the bible as a stand alone concept that they can;t imagine seeing.. or reading.. the bible any other way.... ...800 years after his meddling they are still haunted by the ghost of stephen langton... the medieval archbishop of canterbury.... who must have had way too much free time on his hands......

..800 years after his meddling they are still haunted by the ghost of stephen langton... the medieval archbishop of canterbury.... who must have had way too much free time on his hands......
He was too busy trying to get King John to sign the Magna Carta. Besides, he was only responsible for the chapters, not the verses. :)

He was too busy trying to get King John to sign the Magna Carta. Besides, he was only responsible for the chapters, not the verses. :)
true.. i couldn;t remember all the names of the other people involved when i wrote that post.... . and had to look it up.... :cautious: ... but it was the printer robert estiene (stephanus)..who actually divided the new testament into numbered verses... around 1555.. into the form we have today.... . ..and a rabbi named mordecai nathan that had already done it with the old testament in 1445... .. stephanus simply kept the rabbis old testament divisions when he compiled his own finished work.......

what i just read said stephanus completed his work while riding on horse back between switzerland and france... .... so i guess he was a pretty busy guy as well... .. oh well..... and my apologies to the ghost of langton for assuming he was a loafer.. :sneaky: ... in truth, all those guys were a lot more busy than i have ever been... i;m still wiped out from this past weekends south shore monster surf.... talk about hairy situations... .:cool:.

Last edited:
Voicecrying... can you address this! Oh, wait! You did! LOL!
This is me (and my wife - she's the one wearing the hat) a few months ago in Nashville.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1649982861541.jpg
    FB_IMG_1649982861541.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 9
This is me (and my wife - she's the one wearing the hat) a few months ago in Nashville.
Next time you and your wife come to Nashville, let us know. My wife and I only live about 45 minutes to an hour from there in the Murfreesboro area.

Anyone who would sit through one of those "sermons" without getting up and walking out, has the spiritual IQ of big joey.

This surprised me too. The beard thing wasn't even the part of their dress code I was looking for, but it caught my attention.

My guess is that the old canard about facial hair belonging to hippie subculture doesn't play so well anymore with students born 30+ years after the Summer of Love.
And before that the canard was "Communist beatniks, only Marxists wear beards".

And before that the canard was "Communist beatniks, only Marxists wear beards".
I'm glad I'm a "Boomer" and that I have my beard, mustache, and hair over my collar! LOL ;)