A question on grace

He does have a choice and he has the responsibility to act accordingly. No Calvinist denies this!
and you don;t consider having a choice and responsibility to equal free will?...... and don;t try to tell me someone can have a choice and a responsibility but be unable to act on it..... ...there can be no responsibility without ability...... and if a person is unable to actually make a choice and act on it - then that person doesn;t have a choice......

Last edited:
What choice is it that I have?
the same choice i had... the same choice we all have.... to deny self and submit to God.... in other words - giving up our own will to submit to the will of God.... .... ...but it;s hard to give up what we don;t have... ..in fact it;s impossible... which is one reason why the calvinist argument against free will falls flat on it;s face.... and they know it.... but it won;t stop people like baptist renegade from calling me a "freewilly" - accusing me of being a semi-pelagian .... or making some broad brush comment about "KJVOs" "... or "slamming down a bible"...with comparisons to hyles and hammondites etc etc.... i;ve seen all those things said about me and/or others since he came back here.... .... and yet they claim the non-cals make all the strawmen?...... wow...

Last edited:
and you don;t consider having a choice and responsibility to equal free will?......
Man has a free will but not a perfect free will. A man can only act within the bounds of his ability and opportunity.
God's sovereignty does not negate man's responsibility and man's free will does not preempt God's sovereignty.

Man has the complete inability to fly like a bird, breathe underwater, to live a life without sin, or to please God. Mankind left to his own "Free Will" will therefore always choose darkness and run from and not to God!
and don;t try to tell me someone can have a choice and a responsibility but be unable to act on it.....
John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him:

I would really like to "Play dumb" here but Jesus tells us plainly that no one can except the Father draws him!

Now we can argue about who God draws and whether all who God draws actually gets saved! There are many who seem to come under great conviction to the point where we are almost certain a conversion will take place but then they become cold and completely indifferent to the Gospel message!

One of my old IFB pastors (who is actually well-known of here) once said that "Conviction is a privilege of the Holy Ghost" and a child of God should thank him every day if he is still dealing with and working on your heart! While I probably do not agree with his conclusion, I wholeheartedly agree with the principle he is trying to convey!

As an IFBer, I would see this verse and preach "If the Father is drawing you today, you had better respond because there is no guarantee he will be doing so tomorrow!" I see nothing wrong with continuing to apply the verse in this manner because it is true!
...there can be no responsibility without ability...... and if a person is unable to actually make a choice and act on it - then that person doesn;t have a choice......
I cannot find it but RC Sproul makes a profound quote stating that "A man can do whatever he wants to, the problem he has is with his 'want to' and what he wants to do with it!"

I believe you are going with a presupposition that "A Man would love to choose God if only they had opportunity to do so!" Anyone who has ever done personal evangelism for five minutes knows this not to be the case! The heart is deceitful above all things (Jer 17:9), There is none that understandeth, none that seek after God (Rom 3:11), and the preaching of the cross is foolishness to them that perish (1 Cor 1:18).

I will therefore double-down on my statement that mankind left to their own free will will always flee from God and will choose darkness! They FREELY choose to reject God and FREELY choose to perish in the Lake-of-Fire! It is only by God's divine intervention that a man does otherwise. It is only by God's supernatural grace that a man passes from death to life and becomes a new creature in Christ!

I do not preach "Calvinism" to a lost person but as a "Calvinist," I understand that if one responds to the Gospel, it is the POWER OF GOD and not my own wisdom (coercion, slick sales tactics, Etc.)! It is not my job to determine or presume who the Elect are! My job is to faithfully preach the word, be instant in season and out of season (faithful whether there are results or not), and depend upon GOD to bring forth the increase!

One who is faithful in preaching God's word will acknowledge both Man's Responsibility as well as God's Sovereignty. All men (without exception) have a responsibility to repent and believe the Gospel. God is sovereign over who he decides to save!

I do not preach "Calvinism" to a lost person but as a "Calvinist," I understand that if one responds to the Gospel, it is the POWER OF GOD and not my own wisdom (coercion, slick sales tactics, Etc.)! It is not my job to determine or presume who the Elect are! My job is to faithfully preach the word, be instant in season and out of season (faithful whether there are results or not), and depend upon GOD to bring forth the increase!
I fully agree. However, I have chosen to reject the "Calvinist" label for myself. When pressed on the matter, I simply say that I believe what the Bible teaches. I don't list five or six or any number of points. I simply refer to what the Bible teaches.

When I first got saved, I did so out of a fear of eternal punishment, aka, "fire insurance". However, as I matured in the faith, I began to realize that God isn't interested in simply saving souls from the fires of hell; He's interested in redeeming souls for His glory. Souls who will trust Him, love Him, commune with Him. This is where I believe a big flaw in "soul winning" lies. The aim is simply getting people saved. That's why people cajole others into "getting saved". Being saved should be seen as a byproduct of a right relationship with God, not the goal.

I'm beginning to ramble so I'll leave it right here for now.

What choice is it that I have?
Don’t complicate (or let others complicate) it or overthink it Gringo. Turn to Christ. He bids you to come just as you are, and if you will simply genuinely believe upon Him, you WILL be saved.

can a person be saved without understanding calvinism at all?..... can we be saved if we reject what the vast majority of calvinists say?............. ....if the answer to that question is yes, then i ask - what is the point?
The answer is yes, and the point is learning of the One who first loved us.

Understanding is a goal we're commanded to pursue.

Man has a free will but not a perfect free will. A man can only act within the bounds of his ability and opportunity.
God's sovereignty does not negate man's responsibility and man's free will does not preempt God's sovereignty.
who said anything about mans free will being perfect?....... but at least now you have admitted man has free will... imperfect .. flawed... or filthy as it may be.... but it is there..... i have heard other calvinists claim there is no such thing as free will at all.... that it doesn;t exist.... so which one of you is right?..... do you think they would agree with you that man has a free but imperfect or flawed free will?... ..maybe every time we hear one of you call us a freewilly we should call you a filthy freewilly right back..... sounds a little better than grace abuser... the old nickname the hyper-xers use to give you on the old forum... doesn;t it?......

and who said anything about man being able to preempt God;s sovereignty?...... God is absolutely soverign which.. among many things.. means He is not bound by your black and white logic or feable attempts to define Him with a flawed and finite human brain..... He is capable of both allowing mankind a free will and also remaining sovereign.....He is a lot bigger than the box calvinists try to force fit Him into....

Man has the complete inability to fly like a bird, breathe underwater, to live a life without sin, or to please God. Mankind left to his own "Free Will" will therefore always choose darkness and run from and not to God!
so what keeps man from drowning himself every time he is in the water?... or from doing any number of other things every time he has the chance that would certainly lead to his death?... ..i have faced that kind of darkness and i know what led me there..... ..but why does man not always seek darkness in that and every other regard... as well as the darkness away from God?... ..

I would really like to "Play dumb" here but Jesus tells us plainly that no one can except the Father draws him!

Now we can argue about who God draws and whether all who God draws actually gets saved! There are many who seem to come under great conviction to the point where we are almost certain a conversion will take place but then they become cold and completely indifferent to the Gospel message!
no comment on what you say you would "like" to do versus what you are actually doing.....:rolleyes: .. but the argument about who God draws and what kind of ability they have to resist or reject His grace is what this whole thing is about, in my opinion..... it;s the whole reason i have backed the concept of free will.....

i believe God extends his grace to everyone... but many.... most in fact.... reject it.... and i believe they reject God of their own free will..... just as those who accept the grace God extends to them choose to do so of their own free will.. .. love cannot exist without freewill.... ...... . i could give any number of scriptures to back that up.... and others that back up grace being extended.... in one way or another.. to everybody.... . such as Jesus saying He stands at the door and knocks - - etc etc....you know what those scriptures are as well as i do.. ..and you no doubt have a different interpretation of them than i do..... i won;t insult your intelligence by pretending those scriptures are something new to you or that you have never seen them...... but i also will not quote anti-calvinist theologians or "freewilly" pastors to you... and in the same vein i will also not take anything pro-calvinist theologians say into consideration either - regardless of how often you quote or refer to them....

I believe you are going with a presupposition that "A Man would love to choose God if only they had opportunity to do so!" Anyone who has ever done personal evangelism for five minutes knows this not to be the case! The heart is deceitful above all things (Jer 17:9), There is none that understandeth, none that seek after God (Rom 3:11), and the preaching of the cross is foolishness to them that perish (1 Cor 1:18).
and that is a false assumption on your part.... i;m not going with any "presuppositions" about any goodness of people.... so once again you can dismantle your strawman........ i have been involved in personal evangelism for almost 2 decades.... every week.. for many hours... ... and to many different demographics..... i am very well aware that many have had opportunitys to both turn to God, and also to do the right things where others are concerned... to not commit crimes against them.... and yet have chosen to reject God and pursue a life of pure evil....... do you think i learned nothing about the nature of man during the years i was being sexually abused as a child?...or when i saw my natural sister murdered?... . do you think i don;t see mans nature in action during the hours we are involved in street ministries to the homeless?...... .. again...... you insult the intelligence by taking what i have said and written on these forums all the years i have been here - and completely disregarded or miscontrued it... unfortunately i see you doing the same thing with scripture.... disregard or misconstrue... . so i guess i shouldn;t be surprised.....

but i have a question for you.... just how much personal evangelism are you actually involved in?..... i never heard you or any calvinist even mention "personal evangelism" until a few weeks ago after i made the comment to a friend here - in a private message, how calvinists never talked about personal evangelism and also appeared to love quoting their favorite theologians more than scripture.... all of a sudden... the very next day in fact.. calvinists were talking about personal evangelism and quoting scripture everywhere....🤨

i won;t push back and assume you don;t do personal evangelism yourself.... but i will say that in all the years i have been out there on the streets with a variety of other people helping, i have never seen even one calvinist among them..... ....maybe they are out there working hard and i;m just not looking hard enough for them - is that it?..... or maybe they are all concentrated in the part of the country you live in?.... or maybe.. ..like some have suggested... they see no point to it.... i really don;t know.... i am just stating what i have seen.... and haven;t seen..... and i know the people out there with me pretty well.....

I will therefore double-down on my statement that mankind left to their own free will will always flee from God and will choose darkness! They FREELY choose to reject God and FREELY choose to perish in the Lake-of-Fire! It is only by God's divine intervention that a man does otherwise. It is only by God's supernatural grace that a man passes from death to life and becomes a new creature in Christ!

One who is faithful in preaching God's word will acknowledge both Man's Responsibility as well as God's Sovereignty. All men (without exception) have a responsibility to repent and believe the Gospel. God is sovereign over who he decides to save!

well i guess that makes you one of the lucky ones then... doesn;t it?.... since God decided to save you and chose you "from before the foundations of the world" while deciding so many others would be condemned to hell without a real choice or the freewill to turn to God and avoid the lake of fire.... ...... by the way isn;t that before the foundations of the world - thing a supralapsarian doctrine?..... the belief that God decided all this.. decreed the fall of man... and decided who would and would not be saved before He even began His work on creation? ..... correct me if i am wrong but i thought i saw you write somewhere that the supralapsarian belief was heresy......

do you think it;s possible that since God knew in advance who would accept Him or reject Him... since he sees and exists on the whole length of the timeline and doesn;t just plod through it a day at a time like we do.....that He made His decision to extend grace or condemn individuals by decree that way?.....:unsure: ..no ... that can;t be possible... that might imply some kind of freewill of man again.... ..oh well... never mind.....;) ...

by the way... again... if you get the idea from all this i;m tired of being slapped with labels .. false assumptions... and called names by calvinists then you are right... it gets as old as seeing all caps being over used in a post..... not to mention it reveals a very bad attitude on your part towards others you disagree with.... just saying....

Last edited:
who said anything about mans free will being perfect?....... but at least now you have admitted man has free will... imperfect .. flawed... or filthy as it may be.... but it is there..... i have heard other calvinists claim there is no such thing as free will at all.... that it doesn;t exist.... so which one of you is right?..... do you think they would agree with you that man has a free but imperfect or flawed free will?...
Most Calvinists I know of or have ever dealt with believe that man has a free will but that his will is corrupt meaning that his desire is against God. I do not believe I am deviating from the Calvinist position one bit!

It is the rabid anti-Calvinists who tout the notion that Calvinism teaches we are nothing but mindless robots who cannot help what we do or think. The scriptures certainly say otherwise! Man has a free will for which they will stand before God and give account.

Any Calvies here want to disagree with me and call me a looney free-willy for insinuating that man has a free will?
and who said anything about man being able to preempt God;s sovereignty?...... God is absolutely soverign which.. among many things.. means He is not bound by your black and white logic or feable attempts to define Him with a flawed and finite human brain..... He is capable of both allowing mankind a free will and also remaining sovereign...
I do not disagree with any of this. The fact still remains that mankind is totally depraved, dead in trespasses and sins, and that man's natural inclination is to reject God and remain in darkness. They do so of their own free will.
so what keeps man from drowning himself every time he is in the water?... or from doing any number of other things every time he has the chance that would certainly lead to his death?... ..i have faced that kind of darkness and i know what led me there..... ..but why does man not always seek darkness in that and every other regard... as well as the darkness away from God?...
Completely not my point! Man has a natural survival instinct and a desire to LIVE barring mental duress and emotional issues where they should seek and hopefully find professional help!
i believe God extends his grace to everyone... but many.... most in fact.... reject it.... and i believe they reject God of their own free will..... just as those who accept the grace God extends to them choose to do so of their own free will..
There is a great deal of misunderstanding regarding Irresistible Grace so hopefully I can bring some clarification. God extends his Common Grace to all men which includes things like the rain falling on the just and unjust, and pretty much every good thing you receive in life comes from God (Jas 1:17). It is everything that brings attention to the fact of God's existence and of his power, majesty, and his love (Rom 1:20). It is the goodness of God that leads us to repentance (Rom 2:4). Such grace is given to all and is resisted and rejected by most as you have stated. The Grace that Calvinists call "Irresistable" is Efficiacious Grace (also known of as an "effectual calling" which is synonymous with regeneration and being Born Again (Eph 2:5)! You may not have asked to be born but once it happens, you naturally desire to live and instinctively take that first breath!
.. love cannot exist without freewill.... ...... . i could give any number of scriptures to back that up.... and others that back up grace being extended.... in one way or another.. to everybody....
Let me try to keep things as simple as I can. You can love a dead corpse all you desire but it will never love you back! A dead corpse does not have the capability to love anything. It is perfectly content with being dead! John tells us "We love him because he first loved us" (1 Jn 4:19). We understand that he loves us when he makes us alive in him!
i have been involved in personal evangelism for almost 2 decades.... every week.. for many hours... ... and to many different demographics...
My point is that man's natural reaction is to reject the gospel and to not have anything to do with Christ. As you have stated, this is something you have seen yourself and I am simply bringing this to your attention. There may also be few times when you get to deal with someone who is very much "ripe" and "receptive" to the point that they come under conviction and gladly receive the gospel message you are communicating! Such a response to the gospel you are proclaiming is purely the power of God and it is a very blessed and precious experience when it does happen! It also only happens if you are faithful to be a witness for Christ!
but i have a question for you.... just how much personal evangelism are you actually involved in?.....
I am actually quite involved with our Church's personal evangelism and outreach. I head up our involvement with the Texas Port Ministry where we witness to seafarers and truckers down in Freeport, TX. I try to get down there at least on a weekly basis and am training others in our Church to do the same. We also do witnessing in our community wherever possible and wherever God gives me opportunity.

I believe I mention personal evangelism quite often here! I am certain I bring it up far more than I bring up Calvinism of which you have brought up here, not me.
well i guess that makes you one of the lucky ones then... doesn;t it?.... since God decided to save you and chose you "from before the foundations of the world" while deciding so many others would be condemned to hell without a real choice or the freewill to turn to God and avoid the lake of fire...
Ephesians 1:4 says he has chosen us in him before the foundation of the world. What are we supposed to do with this? I have found it much easier these days to just believe what God says rather than try to make it not say something I do not particularly care for! Hopefully you are thankful you also have been chosen in him from before the foundation of the world right?

I do not think I need to waste my time with the second part of your statement. I have tried the best I know how to explain my position to you. I do not ask that you agree with me or become a Calvinist yourself. All I ask is that you do not slander or misrepresent what it is I am saying.
... by the way isn;t that before the foundations of the world - thing a supralapsarian doctrine?..
No. If you are interested, Supralapsarian means that "God decreed the fall in light of his elect" meaning that God first decreed his elect then brought about the fall. This is not my position. I consider my position to be Infralapsarian (and sympathetic to Amyraldism) which states that "God decreed his elect in light of the fall" meaning that the fall came first then God decreed his elect. The lapsarian views are an academic exercise in an attempt to understand the decrees of God and how they are ordered based upon our understanding of the scriptures and the nature of God. Since God dwells in the eternal present, everything occurs at the same time and there is no way to fully understand the mind of God on this matter.
... the belief that God decided all this.. decreed the fall of man... and decided who would and would not be saved before He even began His work on creation? ..... correct me if i am wrong but i thought i saw you write somewhere that the supralapsarian belief was heresy...
Not Supralapsarianism but equal ultimacy of which the Supralapsarian position often leads. Equal ultimacy means that as God actively elects some to salvation, he is also active in the reprobation of the non-elect. Such a position makes God the author of sin plus it also contradicts the actual Calvinist position of man's total depravity as such insinuates that man could turn to God in repentance and faith on his own but that God is preventing them from doing so!

Hyper-Calvinism is fatalism. It denies man's responsibility and leads one to believe that they have no say so either way in their eternal destiny. The scriptures clearly say otherwise that we are to make our calling and election sure!
do you think it;s possible that since God knew in advance who would accept Him or reject Him... since he sees and exists on the whole length of the timeline and doesn;t just plod through it a day at a time like we do...
Of course I do but there are also the verses I have to deal with concerning man's total depravity and inability! Jesus did say that "No man can come to me except the Father draw him..." Am I to just ignore this or pretend it says something else?

Let me try to keep things as simple as I can. You can love a dead corpse all you desire but it will never love you back! A dead corpse does not have the capability to love anything. It is perfectly content with being dead!

A dead corpse doesn’t experience contentedness. As with all analogies, they break down at some point, and the extent or scope of spiritual deadness in such philosophically comparative terms is one area where I think Calvinism fails. Another is equating “belief”/faith as a work.

Most Calvinists I know of or have ever dealt with believe that man has a free will but that his will is corrupt meaning that his desire is against God. I do not believe I am deviating from the Calvinist position one bit!

It is the rabid anti-Calvinists who tout the notion that Calvinism teaches we are nothing but mindless robots who cannot help what we do or think. The scriptures certainly say otherwise! Man has a free will for which they will stand before God and give account.

Any Calvies here want to disagree with me and call me a looney free-willy for insinuating that man has a free will?

I do not disagree with any of this. The fact still remains that mankind is totally depraved, dead in trespasses and sins, and that man's natural inclination is to reject God and remain in darkness. They do so of their own free will.

Completely not my point! Man has a natural survival instinct and a desire to LIVE barring mental duress and emotional issues where they should seek and hopefully find professional help!

There is a great deal of misunderstanding regarding Irresistible Grace so hopefully I can bring some clarification. God extends his Common Grace to all men which includes things like the rain falling on the just and unjust, and pretty much every good thing you receive in life comes from God (Jas 1:17). It is everything that brings attention to the fact of God's existence and of his power, majesty, and his love (Rom 1:20). It is the goodness of God that leads us to repentance (Rom 2:4). Such grace is given to all and is resisted and rejected by most as you have stated. The Grace that Calvinists call "Irresistable" is Efficiacious Grace (also known of as an "effectual calling" which is synonymous with regeneration and being Born Again (Eph 2:5)! You may not have asked to be born but once it happens, you naturally desire to live and instinctively take that first breath!

Let me try to keep things as simple as I can. You can love a dead corpse all you desire but it will never love you back! A dead corpse does not have the capability to love anything. It is perfectly content with being dead! John tells us "We love him because he first loved us" (1 Jn 4:19). We understand that he loves us when he makes us alive in him!

My point is that man's natural reaction is to reject the gospel and to not have anything to do with Christ. As you have stated, this is something you have seen yourself and I am simply bringing this to your attention. There may also be few times when you get to deal with someone who is very much "ripe" and "receptive" to the point that they come under conviction and gladly receive the gospel message you are communicating! Such a response to the gospel you are proclaiming is purely the power of God and it is a very blessed and precious experience when it does happen! It also only happens if you are faithful to be a witness for Christ!

I am actually quite involved with our Church's personal evangelism and outreach. I head up our involvement with the Texas Port Ministry where we witness to seafarers and truckers down in Freeport, TX. I try to get down there at least on a weekly basis and am training others in our Church to do the same. We also do witnessing in our community wherever possible and wherever God gives me opportunity.

I believe I mention personal evangelism quite often here! I am certain I bring it up far more than I bring up Calvinism of which you have brought up here, not me.

Ephesians 1:4 says he has chosen us in him before the foundation of the world. What are we supposed to do with this? I have found it much easier these days to just believe what God says rather than try to make it not say something I do not particularly care for! Hopefully you are thankful you also have been chosen in him from before the foundation of the world right?

I do not think I need to waste my time with the second part of your statement. I have tried the best I know how to explain my position to you. I do not ask that you agree with me or become a Calvinist yourself. All I ask is that you do not slander or misrepresent what it is I am saying.

No. If you are interested, Supralapsarian means that "God decreed the fall in light of his elect" meaning that God first decreed his elect then brought about the fall. This is not my position. I consider my position to be Infralapsarian (and sympathetic to Amyraldism) which states that "God decreed his elect in light of the fall" meaning that the fall came first then God decreed his elect. The lapsarian views are an academic exercise in an attempt to understand the decrees of God and how they are ordered based upon our understanding of the scriptures and the nature of God. Since God dwells in the eternal present, everything occurs at the same time and there is no way to fully understand the mind of God on this matter.

Not Supralapsarianism but equal ultimacy of which the Supralapsarian position often leads. Equal ultimacy means that as God actively elects some to salvation, he is also active in the reprobation of the non-elect. Such a position makes God the author of sin plus it also contradicts the actual Calvinist position of man's total depravity as such insinuates that man could turn to God in repentance and faith on his own but that God is preventing them from doing so!

Hyper-Calvinism is fatalism. It denies man's responsibility and leads one to believe that they have no say so either way in their eternal destiny. The scriptures clearly say otherwise that we are to make our calling and election sure!

Of course I do but there are also the verses I have to deal with concerning man's total depravity and inability! Jesus did say that "No man can come to me except the Father draw him..." Am I to just ignore this or pretend it says something else?
maybe it;s me and i;m using the wrong words or just not making myself clear..... but it seems to me you are splitting hairs.... especially with regards to supralapsarianism which i heard a professed supralapsarian himself describe once in the very same way i repeated it here.... he even quoted ephesians 1-4..

i have no problem with the scriptures.... including what;s in ephesians 1-4.... and all the rest of ephesians.... my problem is with those who take such scriptures out of context and misinterpret them for their own purposes.. .. or according to how their own personality quirks - view of the world, - and view of themselves, dictate.... then quote those scriptures as a way of claiming bragging rights.... to bust into a forum with ephesians 1-4 the way you did leading off with it as if to crow like a rooster about being selected by God for glory, while others were rejected and condemned to hell and misery..... ..

you say you don;t do that kind of thing in church?.... well that;s commendable.... why start off like that here?.... .. you said you got dragged into calvinism kicking and screaming?..... well you are still kicking and screaming.... only this time in arrogance rather than protest..... ..pride is a common trait among calvinists that it seems everybody but the calvinists themselves can recognize....and no that is not slander or misrepresentation... .it;s a common observation by many who are not calvinists ...most of whom also recognize that a chip on the shoulder seems to accompany that pride in calvinism....

one of your fellow calvinists posted - as a criticism of calvinism rejectors, that the phrase "free will" was not found anywhere in scripture..... well neither is the phrase "efficiacious grace"....."common grace"... "effectual calling"... "total depravity" nor many other phrases and catch words calvinists use to support their extra biblical suppositions.... ..phrases you have also used here.... do the rules of fair play apply to all? - or only when it benefits the calvinist?....

you said all you were asking is that i don;t slander or misrepresent what it is you are saying?..... then why don;t you extend that courtesy that you demand for yourself - to others as well...... you are the one... as i have already pointed out... who came in stirring up anger against calvinism by slapping labels on non-calvinists - trying to fit them into prelabelled pigeon holes.... making mockery of those you disagree with and even condemning the buildings they meet for worship in - - - and maybe you don;t know this but not everyone who was saved outside the supervision of a calvinist was led through a 1-2-3- repeat after me process... .
(something i have never seen done anywhere)...

but in truth i;m tired of arguing this with you... it;s more than obvious that neither of us is going to change the mind of the other one.. ..i was never trying to change your mind in the first place - just figure out how someone i thought i knew ..respected... and considered a friend from the old forum - returned as something almost unrecognizable... i would still like to consider you a friend and be able to respect you - but respect has to be mutual and built on common ground, or it;s nothing but capitulation and obesience.... no one here should expect that of someone else....

Last edited:
maybe it;s me and i;m using the wrong words or just not making myself clear..... but it seems to me you are splitting hairs.... especially with regards to supralapsarianism which i heard a professed supralapsarian himself describe once in the very same way i repeated it here.... he even quoted ephesians 1-4.
I'm sure he did. I'm confident I accurately described both positions or at least to the best of my ability. Of course you are able to study these for yourself and am sure have to some extent. Wherever you happen to land (or desire to land) theologically, Ephesians 1:4 is still in the scriptures and we have to deal with it and settle where it fits in our personal theology. You would therefore hear this verse applied not only by the supralapsarians and infralapsarians of the Calvinist camp but also from those in the arminian camp or whoever the primary bible instructor at your Church happens to be right?
my problem is with those who take such scriptures out of context and misinterpret them for their own purposes..
These are my sentiments exactly believe it or not! I would really like to hear a well thought out, reasonable and scriptural argument against the Calvinist view but am usually disappointed. I do have a good deal of respect for Roger E. Olson though and have cited him in some of my seminary papers in defense of the Arminian view when it is unfairly attacked by those on the other side!

I want to stand firmly upon and on the side of scripture wherever this may be! I do hope this comes through in our interaction.
.. or according to how their own personality quirks - view of the world, - and view of themselves, dictate.... then quote those scriptures as a way of claiming bragging rights...
I don't think I come across as bragging or at least this is not my attention. I may sound emphatic at times but if I do, I hope I am emphatic about the truth!
. to bust into a forum with ephesians 1-4 the way you did leading off with it as if to crow like a rooster about being selected by God for glory, while others were rejected and condemned to hell and misery...
You keep going there but I fail to see where I have ever been insensitive towards those who are outside of Christ! I believe what has sparked this conversation is my response to Bob Jones IV that Gringo is responsible to make his calling and election sure. I went further to express the fact that many here love and are praying for him; myself included! And I do believe I have received favorable response from him that he appreciates the thought and sentiment! You turned what I said into this argument!
you say you don;t do that kind of thing in church?.... well that;s commendable.... why start off like that here?..
If I take Calvinism out of the equation, do you disagree with anything I say here? I have started discussions related to issues regarding Calvinism which you are free to engage or refrain! There are many things I choose not to involve myself with here on the FFF but I do not begrudge those who think it important to discuss.
..pride is a common trait among calvinists that it seems everybody but the calvinists themselves can recognize...
Pride is a common trait among those who still bear the fallen Adamic nature! It is not exclusive to Calvinists. You do not believe rabid anti-Calvinists who believe Calvinists to be murdering, Catholic sympathizing heretics to maybe have just a little bit of a pride problem? Perhaps it is only when someone takes a position of which you disagree that such pride is especially evident? For the record, I believe James White to be quite arrogant at times along with others who believe Calvinism to be the only legitimate position! I can only take so much of James White and Jeff Durbin.
one of your fellow calvinists posted - as a criticism of calvinism rejectors, that the phrase "free will" was not found anywhere in scripture..... well neither is the phrase "efficiacious grace"....."common grace"... "effectual calling"... "total depravity" nor many other phrases and catch words calvinists use to support their extra biblical suppositions.... ..phrases you have also used here.... do the rules of fair play apply to all? - or only when it benefits the calvinist?..
These terms are not found in the Bible but they are quite biblical are they not? You invoke these terms and people immediately know of what you speak. "Rapture," "Trinity," and Prevenient Grace (A favorite term used by our Arminian friends) are also not found in the Bible but when they are discussed, usually what follows is a boat load of scriptures by which one builds their case so I really would advocate their continued use!
you are the one... as i have already pointed out... who came in stirring up anger against calvinism by slapping labels on non-calvinists - trying to fit them into prelabelled pigeon holes.... making mockery of those you disagree with and even condemning the buildings they meet for worship in - - - and maybe you don;t know this but not everyone who was saved outside the supervision of a calvinist was led through a 1-2-3- repeat after me process... . (something i have never seen done anywhere)...
I do not recall such a thing. I may have in jest called "Free Willies" a bunch of Semi-Pelagian heretics and if it was mistaken that I was a actually serious then you do have my apology. I believe I have at times come against Calvinists who broad-brush any non-Calvinist as being "Semi-Pelagian" as being out of line! A Semi-Pelagian believes that a man must take the first step towards God whereas a Classic Arminian always believes that it is God who must make the first move and are therefore much more Augustinian than they are Pelagian! Ransom coined the phrase "Semi-Augustinianism" (which he likely got from somewhere else) and I like it!

I am very critical of the "Quick-Prayer, Easy-Believism nonsense and I make no apology for it! Such criticism goes far beyond the issue of Calvinism though! There are plenty of non-Cals here who share my contempt for such shoddy tactics that places like FBCH and HAC have become famous for!
but in truth i;m tired of arguing this with you...
Me too. If you want me to clarify my position, I am happy to do so and I do not expect you to agree. This has been the focus of my efforts here.
just figure out how someone i thought i knew ..respected... and considered a friend from the old forum - returned as something almost unrecognizable... i would still like to consider you a friend and be able to respect you - but respect has to be mutual and built on common ground, or it;s nothing but capitulation and obesience.... no one here should expect that of someone else....
You still have my respect and admiration! Please note that I have spent considerable time here and I would not have done so if I did not care.

Peace