A question on Theonomy.

Recovering IFB

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Exodus 22 a thief is found breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there shall be no bloodguilt for him, but if the sun has risen on him, there shall be bloodguilt for him. He shall surely pay. If he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.

Would this apply after this incident?
http://www.dailywire.com/news/4144/relatives-killed-17-year-old-home-invader-how-else-robert-kraychik?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=020616-news&utm_campaign=restlesspatriot

Recovering IFB said:
Exodus 22 a thief is found breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there shall be no bloodguilt for him, but if the sun has risen on him, there shall be bloodguilt for him. He shall surely pay. If he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/4144/relatives-killed-17-year-old-home-invader-how-else-robert-kraychik?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=020616-news&utm_campaign=restlesspatriot

No, it wouldn't apply, because our laws aren't the same as OT laws. 

I'd be perfectly happy if he wasn't shot, and the court showed mercy toward him, since he just wanted money for clothes (assuming that's true).  However... as for this: 

?You have to understand, you have to look at it from a child's point of view that was raised in the hood. How he gonna get his money to have clothes to go to school?" asked Harris.

He's 17.  Here are a few suggestions:

1. His parents could get jobs and buy him clothes.  Even if they're on welfare, then spend less on themselves, and buy him some clothes at Goodwill.  My daughter shops there and gets great deals for very little money.

2. He can get a job.

3. If he can't get a job, he can mow lawns, do handyman work, etc., etc. to earn extra money.

Thieving is not a valid "job" to raise money for clothes. 

Recovering IFB said:

Seems like an entirely legitimate use of force to me.

Not being a theonomist, I don't know precisely what one would say, but it seems to me like a textbook application of the Exodus law you cited.