A Question...

Fresh Air

Elect
Reaction score
I have written a book that will be printed in a matter of days. It will also be formatted for e-books but that will take another couple of weeks. It will eventually be available on Amazon and bn.com but that will take a couple of months. This is kind of a goofy question but I don't have anywhere else to ask it - Should I wait until everything is ready in all formats to announce it and try to sell it or should I roll it out piece by piece?

Here's my thinking... I'm an IFB pastor very few people know and this is a self-published book. The only way I'm ever going to get traction is via my friends and social media basically. In other words I need to make as big of a ripple as I can with a very small rock. My initial thinking is to wait until all aspects of the project are complete before I try to sell it, but I'm not sure I'm right. I also think the majority of people who will buy it will do so in the e-book format or by ordering it on Amazon or bn.com. What would you do? What do you think would work best and why?

Gracias mi amigos...

Tom Brennan said:
I have written a book that will be printed in a matter of days. It will also be formatted for e-books but that will take another couple of weeks. It will eventually be available on Amazon and bn.com but that will take a couple of months. This is kind of a goofy question but I don't have anywhere else to ask it - Should I wait until everything is ready in all formats to announce it and try to sell it or should I roll it out piece by piece?

Here's my thinking... I'm an IFB pastor very few people know and this is a self-published book. The only way I'm ever going to get traction is via my friends and social media basically. In other words I need to make as big of a ripple as I can with a very small rock. My initial thinking is to wait until all aspects of the project are complete before I try to sell it, but I'm not sure I'm right. I also think the majority of people who will buy it will do so in the e-book format or by ordering it on Amazon or bn.com. What would you do? What do you think would work best and why?

Gracias mi amigos...
I will gladly purchase a copy, preferably in an e-file.
I do all my studying with my droid.

I have enjoyed some of your published studies.
Carry on!

I have a friend who because of health problems had to leave the mission field. This person has written a number of books which have been self published. Some of the books have risen to the Amazon best sellers list.

Before putting the books in print they will send an e-copy to a number of people asking them to:
-help them edit any typos & punctuation errors, etc
-write a review if they feel that the book is a good read. The reviews would go on the book & on different websites like amazon books & the kindle reviews, nook or whatever format you may choose for a e-book.

When the book is published you want reviews by someone & especially someone in the field (theology, missions, fiction or what have you) of the subject......not just a title.

Hope you do well with this endeavor.

I would sell it exclusively in the HAC book store.  The rest will take care of itself.  :)

Tom Brennan said:

Gracias mi amigos...

If this is anything along the lines of the "39 Years an Independent Baptist..." message, I'd love to get it.

I'd go for doing all the formats at once.  Let's suppose there are three formats (PDF, Kindle, B&N), and they are released all at once.  In the year that follows, you get 500 sales, the format of the sales will be instructive should you every want to release something else.  Suppose that 400 of the sales are Kindle, 80 are PDF, and 20 are B&N.  That certainly indicates that Kindle is the overwhelmingly preferred reading choice.

However, if you release PDF first, then Kindle 3 weeks later, and then B&N 2 weeks later, the numbers don't mean as much because some people may purchase the PDF because it is available first, even though they would prefer a Kindle  format.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

You should do a ted talk and then release only one chapter at a time.  Better yet, promise to mail the completed copy after payment.

Sell it chapter by chapter, build up the suspense. jk

Are anyone of us in it?
Did you kill any of us off?
:D

FSSL said:
Are anyone of us in it?
Did you kill any of us off?
:D

75,498 words. Just checked. 'Forum' isn't one of them. I am so ashamed...