A Thought Provoking Article...

Fresh Air

Elect
Reaction score
The vast majority of us look at Oral Roberts with disdain. I know I do. But this article about his ministry and family is not written from a theological standpoint at all. And it is just here that it touches on what we HAC alumni know best - the ministry and family of a dynamic founding figure. As I read it I could not help but see parallels. I think you will too.

The older I get (so maybe this is just me becoming crotchety in middle age) the more I am convinced that the mega-ministry model is not healthy. It is fun. It is exciting. It is encouraging. It is inspiring. But it isn't healthy for the long term spiritual progress of God's people.

Anyway, here it is if you are interested:

http://blog.longreads.com/2014/09/16/oral-roberts-family-history/

Tom Brennan said:
The older I get (so maybe this is just me becoming crotchety in middle age) the more I am convinced that the mega-ministry model is not healthy. It is fun. It is exciting. It is encouraging. It is inspiring. But it isn't healthy for the long term spiritual progress of God's people.

Totally agree with you here, sir.

Tom Brennan said:

So true, but that "model" sure generates tons of forum posts!  What would we do without it?

Indeed, many similarities, eerily similar.

The low support (Monetarily and in the sending of students) of Alumni is one that HAC battled, especially in the later years.  I remember one Pastors' school where the pitch was made to a packed room to help build a new dormitory at the college, which was actually needed at that time.  Good people, pastors, and friends gave checks from the hundreds to the several thousands.....the dormitory never materialized.  Currently, entire dorm floors are now vacant.  The college went through several Alumni Directors trying to increase contributions but nothing could repair the damage done from the pulpit.

A bailout by millionaire CEO and squandering of the money including frequent remodeling of offices and homes. Purchase of multiple properties and aircraft(s).  I remember that carpet in one small office was over $1300, under the direction of Schaap.  When that individual moved to a different office (larger office to help with the pilot program, one of Schaap's pet projects) they requested the same carpet to be installed...$5500.

I am not sure what you mean by the "mega-ministry model"... are you talking about just having a huge church?  If so, I can agree.  It is easily to live spiritually vicarious though the "ministry" itself rather than through a personal relationship. If we are growing, expanding, and building, surely I must be doing the same. Ironically, this principle was illustrated in Schaap's sermon "I lost Jesus" while a teacher at HAC.

Tom stay faithful and God will bless....I just heard a preacher complaint about his Christmas gift from a church the people gave him. My words to that is shame on the preacher....hopefully people aren't stupid....they will find somewhere else to go....